Home | Reviews | Shorts | Zoic

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Zoic Vigor De-Luxe

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from South Orange County

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice big pockets; pad not too thick; inexpensive; super tough!

Weaknesses:    they do get wrinkled when wet -- but who cares?

Bottom Line:

Okay, so all of the other reviews mention how well they hold up and look and all that. But, no one mentioned the sweet warranty that they come with: "always guaranteed".

I bought my first pair about 6 yrs ago. Wore them every time I rode until I wore out the seat 3 years ago (they are really tough, cuz I ride hard & crash hard!) So I sent them back to the factory and I had a new pair a week later. (hardest week of my life)

Well, 3 years later (couple of weeks ago), they wore out in the seat again, but I called the factory and they sent me a new pair!

35 bucks bought me a pair of shorts for life! (Thanks Zoic)

Favorite Trail:   Cleveland Nat'l forest -- San Juan Trail (up & down)

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   This is the first, and only, cargo short I've used riding.

Bike Setup:   GT Richochette w/ Rock Shox & a Schwinn MOAB w/ Judy's.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    Comfy, durable, good value -- so good I have several of 'em.

Weaknesses:    color fading, but to be expected after wearing 'em for a year and a half and after multiple washings.

Bottom Line:
I've thrashed, crashed, and mashed these shorts over and over again and they're still holding up! Comfortable in all conditions (I even used them on a century--I'm a Clydesale so I'd look stoopid in a pair of roadies) They handle the abuse of the washing machine too. Sufficient chamois (Personally, I don't like thick ones that feel like diapers like the guy a few reviews before me noted). Tried and true AND Made in the USA -- gotta get a pair. Get two while you're at it. I say five roasted jalapenos in value, for their cost and durability, and five overall, cuz they deserve more credit. Now that SWOBO's gone, ZOIC is it.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Purchased At:   rei.com

Bike Setup:   '99 Fisher Kaitai

Submitted by Eric Hollander a Cross Country Rider from Queens, New York

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable. Cotton twill is nice when new. Built in belt. Cheap. (I was broke when I bought em)

Weaknesses:    Twill becomes worn out fast. Mucho wrinkles after washing. Slow drying. Flimsy liner and thin chami which dosen't hold those jewels out of danger.

Bottom Line:
I loved them at first because they were one of the first baggies I owned. I even bought a second pair. But there is much better out there. They look like wrinkled crud now. Now I live in the east, the damp heat is not nice to cotton. Leg warmers don't like to kling to them for some reason, yet they do my perli's. Plus they offer no support or much padding where it counts. The Velcro pockets don't inspire confidence to hold stuff in. In short (no pun) spend some extra money on shorts. It is really worth it. And you will love em for years. These are my spinning shorts now!

Similar Products Used:   Performance, Perlizumi detour and swobo cargo (best)

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer built up to the max. But who cares, this is about your arse.

Submitted by Phil McCracken a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive ($45 at Pacific Cyclery in Berkeley). Good lookin'. Great fit, and the gusseted crotch gives me ample flexibility on those technical villus sections.

Weaknesses:    Butt padding is thinner than I'm used to. I need a bigger Butt.

Bottom Line:
Low cost, acceptable performance, comfortable design, commendable aesthetics. YOU BUY IT!

Favorite Trail:   Tito's Revenge

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi shorts are my fa-vo-rites.

Bike Setup:   2000 Santa Cruz Superlight with de-novo components too numerous and esoteric to list here - plus, what do y'all really care, anyway - youre never gonna get them...

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon US

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Strengths:    Comfy, nicely priced (50 bucks @ REI) Belt is a nice touch, quality materials. Good looking.

Weaknesses:    Itchy ass tag in the back of the waistband. (maybe I'm just sensitive)

One of the pocket's velcro doesn't line up well, thus the pocket doesn't like to stay closed. I'm not putting my keys in there.

Soft brushed twill feels great in the store but sticks like crazy to my saddle when it gets wet.

Bottom Line:
Once I cut that damn tag out of the waistband, these pants were mondo comfortable. I love the "belt" system on these pants. No more giving my riding buddy the plumber butt. Unfortunately the twill shell of these pants doesn't do well when wet. It would rub against my leather saddle and catch. Not a good thing during technical climbs. It think I am going to be strictly a nylon man for now on.

4 flamin' doo doos for the value cuz they are well made and feel good.

3 for overall cuz of the design issues

Favorite Trail:   Brown's Camp

Similar Products Used:   Nema crown jewel

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized FSR Comp, 646 pedals, Sefras racing saddle...

Submitted by Spud a Weekend Warrior from San Ramon, CA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great looking

Weaknesses:
Where's the chamois?

Bottom Line:
Terrific looking pair of shorts, but the chamois is insufficient for rides of any distance.

Anything paved

Performance, Nashbar

Bianchi Veloce

Submitted by Jerry a Cross-Country Rider from Anchorage, Alaska

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Strengths:
Good fit if you try before you buy. Comfortable liner and high quality shell. Great exterior pockets. Seems plenty tough.

Weaknesses:
Shell is cotton twill, which is not what you want for wet days. Feel just like blue jeans when wet.

Bottom Line:
A very comfortable stylish short that will carry all kinds of schwag in those exterior pockets. I like them very much but do not plan to wear them on wet days. The pad is minimal, but I find that a plus compared to excessive pads like those in REI's Tiger short, which feel like diapers when you are wearing them. If the shell was a synthetic that you could wear in the wet, I'd give it a five. I recognize, however, that part of the comfort and de Luxe feel of this short is the cotton twill shell.

Mt. Baldy

InMotion; Pearl Izumi; REI brand; Performance

Merlin with Rock Shox Judy SL; Sun Tour MicroDrive with thumbshifters (ya gotta believe!)

Submitted by Dogwriter a Weekend Warrior from southeast, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Strengths:
Looks more like shorts; warm in cool temps; wears well; comfy; holds up to tough crashes.

Weaknesses:
Too hard to find.

Bottom Line:
Wish I had a dozen pair.

Davis-Canaan

1 Year

Trek, Performance, Bontrager

GT Backwoods, RockShock

Submitted by Justin Bregar a Cross-Country Rider from Pueblo, CO

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Strengths:
Good fit, decent liner, good looks

Weaknesses:
pad is kinda weak

Bottom Line:
Decent shorts, I don't feel ripped off. I do normally wear a pair of lycra under the liner since the pad is so chinsy. That seems to work well.

Performance, other baggies