Home | Reviews | Shorts | Zoic

Zoic Ether Shorts

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Comfortable and durable,The Ether is sureTo keep you smiling for miles and miles ofTrail. RPL Essential removable padded liner with ZO-Wick chamois padAll mountain fit with 12" inseamThat falls just atThe kneeElastic back waistband and Velcro side-adjusterTabs dial in your fitFlat front waistband secures with snap and zip fly closureFusion inseam gusset provides superior range of motion and eliminates seat hang-upsI.A.F. mesh ventilation panels below back waistband and on legsTech pocket with zi

Submitted by ForrestJones a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, Airy, Fit right (not tight and not baggy). All-around good shorts for the money.

Weaknesses:    Cargo pocket openings too small
Chamois pad a bit thin

Bottom Line:
I have worn these about one ride a week (off road) for over a year now...they look new, quite durable. They have been in a few crashes which have scratched my lower legs but the shorts' fabric just gets dirt embedded in it. Hold the fabric up to a light and you can see light coming through, they still breathe well. The liner fabric is very airy, its like half material, half holes, pad excluded.
My favorite part about them is the fit- its just right imo and I don't notice them at all on a ride. Walking is a different story with the chamois pad, it does give me the diaper feeling. They don't snag on the saddle when I hang my butt over the rear wheel on steeps, and I don't have a dropper post.
I am being a bit picky about the pockets, but it does annoy me a little when I have to fish out my phone and I have to use 2 hands to do it. Give me longer zippers Zoic.
I see in some older reviews gripes about velcro. No problems with mine, so that's likely been fixed.
A note on sizing- they run small. A Medium is 32-34"...I'm a 32" and they are snug fitting. I don't think a 34" waisted guy could fit into them.
Bottom line-get a pair of these to cover yours! I'll be getting another pair soon.

Favorite Trail:   Not tellin'

Purchased At:   REI (web)

Similar Products Used:   Novarra cycling underwear under cotton cargos.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 Disc. Sturdy (read: heavy) little hardtail. RS Tora solo air fork, WTB pure v saddle and a few other upgrades.

Submitted by Adam

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, lot's of pockets, comfortable, light, adjustable waistband, removable liner

Weaknesses:    stitching seems to come apart too easly

Bottom Line:
Goodness 78.99 MSRP??? I got these for 33.99 at the REI anniversary sale. I got these shorts because they have a lot of pockets. I made the right choice. These are comfortable and you can barely feel them when they're on. The butt padding is okay, not the best. My roadie shorts have gel padding and that works much better, but this is mountain biking and nobody sits while riding. I don't have any complaints about these shorts other than the stitching. Mine started to come apart on the right leg cargo pocket almost immediately. Lucky for me REI has a great return policy.

Submitted by Moby

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent buy. Lots of pockets, adjustable waist band which allows for a snug fit. They wear extremely comfortably, wet or dry. I went with a XL (6' 210lbs 32" inseam) for a little extra leg room. The trails I ride call for a few creek crossings, some waist high. The shorts dried quickly and never felt clingy even when soaking wet. The removable chamois is great. Super comfy and provides excellent cushion for the jewels. Big plus - the shorts minus the chamois are great swim trunks:)

Weaknesses:    Price...but I am a penny pincher:)

Bottom Line:
Great buy. Ordering another pair asap!!

Submitted by eatdrinkride

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2012

Strengths:    Very nice construction is the first thing I notice. Nice lenght, crotch not too long not too short.

Weaknesses:    TBD

Bottom Line:
My first pair of "expensive" mtb shorts. Padding seems very nice, spongy but not too thick. Removable also. Lots of pockets I'll likely not use but that's not a con. The front pockets are snug as these are riding shorts but usable if needed. Zip pockets would be good for ID and bank card, etc. The waist fit seems pretty spot on. If you are a 33 or 34 in the waist the large should fit very nicely and the side adjusters are there if you need them. Outer shell material seems very nice and is nice to the touch. Durability tbd as I have yet to wear them on the bike. I'm short, 5'8' and the L comes down just past the knees. These will fine for pedaling and should just cover my KS knee pads. The Castle color is cool. Kinda like the color of concrete but the black flashes don't make them seem drab.

Overall they fit me great, I'll be keeping them.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   30 dollar Fox Baseline shorts (these are much, much, much nicer), Hoss Ponderosa, board shorts over padded spandex.

Submitted by Rich Griffin a All Mountain Rider from Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    Light, sturdy, comfortable fabric. Plenty of flex and pockets. They look great on and feel great. Padding in seat is terrific. Love the snap out inner shorts

Bottom Line:
These are the most comfortable durable MTB shorts I've ever owned. I ride in weather ranging from 50-90 degrees and these do the job all year round. The fabric pattern is just very cool.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch, CA

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Fox shorts. Oakley Shorts

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon

Submitted by Spartan14 a Cross Country Rider from North Georgia

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, well vented, Good looks, Quality Construction

Bottom Line:
Alright so I ride nothing but single track and usually anywhere from a 5-15 mile loop twice a week. I initially thought all this bike clothing was an overpriced gimmick for guys who like to wear tight shorts and shave their legs. Eventually I gave in and started wearing a pair of padded bike shorts under regular gym shorts. When I got tired of my seat hanging up on my super light weight Brooks Rogue Runner shorts I tried a pair of these Zoics. I love them. As many have complained about the Velcro I have to voice my dissent. My Velcro was so heavy duty that it doesn't come undone during the wash. The pockets are pretty cool but serve more to look good than utilitarian in my opinion because I don't want stuff banging into my legs while I pedal. If you're into music while you ride they have a nice mp3 pocket with headphone cutout and loops for cord routing up the shorts. They strike me as pretty durable since I've had some big falls and expected them to be ripped or scuffed where they hit the ground. Also I like the cool venting scattered around the shorts. I am shocked that some people think these things are hot. I ride in the Georgia humidity where often times just standing outside for a 10 minutes you find yourself soaking wet and these shorts work great. I am definitely a believer in these shorts. Today I broke down and bought the gray pair so I'd have some variety. I have no idea why someone thought these were XC style shorts in another review. I only ride single track with zero issues with chafing soreness etc. climbing, drops, you name it no problems.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by 92gli a Cross Country Rider from west chester,pa

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic quality for the money. At $80 retail they're very good, but you can get them below $60 easily. The liner pad is very good, the outers are the perfect mix of weight and durability. Not too long, not too short. I bought a 2nd pair right after my first ride with them.

Bottom Line:
These blow away some of the shorts I've seen for $100, and they're much more carefully constructed than the fox shorts I paid $80 for. You look at these and can tell they have some legitimate quality control in their factory. I've had problems with other shorts fit or length. But the medium Ether fits me like they are custom made for me (i'm 165, 5'9"), both the liners and the outers. The outer material is tough but not heavy or stiff. I'm giving these 5s because they solved all my short dilemmas.

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   fox, endura, performance boulder

Submitted by JTCONCORD a Weekend Warrior from CONCORD, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Durable (bomb proof), pockets

Weaknesses:    Heavy fabric (has some give), bulky waistband and front pockets.

Bottom Line:
You can carry a lot of stuff in these shorts because of all the pockets, but they are bulky and get very hot when the temperature rises - little air flow with this setup. You can clip the loops holding the liner which makes washing and wearing a little easier. I am 6'0", 170#, 33" waist and the Med is actually a little too loose in the waist. I would prefer more air flow. Ready to try road bibs.

Favorite Trail:   CARLESS

Purchased At:   NASHBAR

Bike Setup:   All the usual pieces WTB saddle

Submitted by james brown a Cross Country Rider from Ingalls Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    price,

Weaknesses:    Linner flips around when washed, no zipper vents, shammie not great

Bottom Line:
Good for a starter short but not feature rich for the epic

Purchased At:   Performance