Home | Reviews | Shorts | Voler

Team or Women's
  • Specs:
    8 panel anatomical cut
    Sublimated side panels
    Woven gripper at leg hem
    Clean hemmed elastic at waist
  • Chamois:
    NuSuede Baseball, seamless Monolith or Cantara Pad
  • Colored Bottoms in:
    Royal Blue, Navy, Red, Green or Violet

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by el_scorcho a Weekend Warrior from B'ham, AL

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, padding is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Road chewed them up fairly easy.

Bottom Line:
    Wore these shorts for a year and loved them. They held up well after many washes, but not so much to asphalt. Took a spill the other day and they ripped on my left hip, and I was wearing shorts over them too. Got some nice road-rash and scars down my leg for show. Think I will try to sew them up myself and see how they feel before ordering another pair.

Purchased At:   velowear.com

Similar Products Used:   First short, first bike, just started riding.

Submitted by Nunyabiz a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh NC

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    Fit great, very well made, no problems with any seams, the pad is very good

Bottom Line:
    This review is actually for the "Voler Elite DX Short" the description is here from the website.
    ----------
    ""Three key elements provide the exceptional design of the Voler Elite DX Short:
    TECHNOLOGY: Developed in Switzerland & used by top racers, the new 220 gram Quantum DSX fabric reduces wind drag while improving compression & durability.
    FIT: The anatomically sculpted silhouette fits like no other with 10-panel construction conforming to you like a second skin.
    FUNCTION: The Carbon Micro Mesh panels provide maximum breathability for comfort, and the exclusive anti-bacterial 3-tier molded Ion pad puts padding where needed for specific pressure points with minimal material on the sides to conform to your movement.""
    ---------------

These shorts are just the deluxe version of the "Voler Team Short" 2 extra panels, slightly better fit, better pad, slightly better material.

These are excellent shorts I have no complaints of any kind.

Purchased At:   VeloWEAR.com

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from West Texas

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Good fit. Comfortable. Durable. Good pads.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Bought the IMBA logo version. I use them on both the road bike and mountain bike with equal success. Wish I had purchased a spare. This will be a repeat purchase.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   VeloWear.com

Similar Products Used:   Canari.

Bike Setup:   NRS.

Submitted by Nick Crvich a Cross Country Rider from Rural Retreat, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Strengths:    nice material, good construction, excellent chamois.

Weaknesses:    I personally like flat seams better, these have inside standing seams.

Bottom Line:
    Great shorts for the price. Very comfortable. The only thing I would like better would be flat seams.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   several

Bike Setup:   2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint, fully custom

Submitted by Mr. Lumberg a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    The cut, material, pricepoint, chamois, fit., etc.... everything really.
    The two I purchased have the IMBA logo on the side and Voler donates $5.00 of the purchase price of this design to IMBA, which is cool.

Weaknesses:    I'd dig on a drawstring in the waist like on my Canaris but they don't seem to have problems with slipping down so far.

Bottom Line:
    I have found my new favorite short.
    Right out of the bag they are extremely comfortable and fit perfect. The chamois is a multi-piece; the center section being made of a bacterial resistant fiber, and sits uder your butt just right and molds itself. The two side panels with the IMBA logo are a different, more breathable fabric that allow your thighs to radiate heat more effectively than plain lycra. I haven't gone horizontal on them yet so I don't know how tough the different material is but the other reviewers haven't had longevity problems.
    Pearls are comfy and rugged but they are cut in way that doesn't mold to you like these do, the chamois isn't nearly as good and they cost twice as much. My Canaris are also half the price of PI's, have an 8-panel design and are externally seamed with a light grey thread. This is cool because the bead formed by the seams don't dig into your thigh and leave those pressure lines, plus my lady friend likes the way they highlight my legs, but they need just a bit more space, uh, you know where for when you're off the bike walking. The Volers, I just can't find anything to complain about and the company is so sure I'd feel that way that they ship with a prepaid postage return envelope.
    I ain't gonna give 'em back though.

Favorite Trail:   Pt. Sublime

Purchased At:   Velowear.com

Similar Products Used:   PI's, Canari Matrix Lite

Bike Setup:   Yeti Kokopelli, Marz Marathon XC fork (freakin' sweet btw)

Submitted by Jeffrey a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable, Durable and Reasonably priced. Great Value!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
    These are without a doubt the best shorts I've ever owned. I've owned a lot of different shorts and most of them were pretty horrible. They either cost too much, wear out too fast, or plain hurt to wear. These are comfortable, durable and reasonably priced. My next favorite shorts are my Nike bib shorts. I will try the Voler Team Bibs very soon. I just wish I could give them more than 5 flamin' chilis.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Garneau, Pearl Izuma, Nike, various cheapo shorts.

Bike Setup:   Kona Nu Nu

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Astoria, Queens, NY

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    I love the weight of the material being heavy and solid on all but the side panels--which are very sheer and hense let out heat and perspiration easily without compromising durability.

Bottom Line:
    I suppose these are the best shorts I've ever had. I can only think of one pair of Canondale shorts which were very basic that were very comfortable, but not as high performance as these.

The 9 panel design is excellent. The USPS team shorts I have are just as comfortable after many washings and a couple of thousand miles of riding, but these Volar shorts are great right out of the bag.

The chamois in particular is extremely well designed out of several different materials placed just right. The USPS shorts chamois is similar, but not nearly as good--team Armstrong should give the contract to Volar except they don't make as good of a jersey.

To put it frankly, between the chamois and the use of extremely sheer side panels, these shorts don't cook my balls on 100K+ rides in 90F+ weather much less on regular 40K to 50K rides. Others do, and that makes me worry about bacteria and heat rash. No problem with these Volar shorts.

Other than the side panels, the material is good and strong. I'm not worried these are going to stretch out of shape, pill, or start showing holes prematurely.

In a nutshell, I have no problems with these shorts like I've had with the many other shorts I've worn.

Favorite Trail:   I have yet to find even a decent trail for serious cycling since moving back to NYC from Japan--you

Purchased At:   mtbr.com, special edition shorts

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Canondale, and I guess it's De Marche that made the USPS team shorts. I've had 6 or 8 pairs of shorts in the last 4 years.

Bike Setup:   I mention the saddle because it matters for this review. I ride a Bontrager Race Lite, leather with titanium rails--which is actually handmade in Italy by Selle San Marco. Everyone who sees this saddle says its gotta hurt, which is only true or not depending on the shorts I'm wearing.

Submitted by RandyP a Cross Country Rider from Irvine CA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    Great fit, comfortable chamois, good looking

Bottom Line:
    I just found my new favorite. I used to buy PI almost exclusively. The Ultrasensor's fit me well and were very comfortable. The Voler's are better and best yet, they're less money. PI's retail for $80 and he cheapest I could buy them was for $59. The Voler's are as good a fit and as comfortable. The PIs last forever, so we'll have to see hwo well these last, but so far, I'm happy. Prepaid return envelope is also a nice touch. I'm going to keep the streak going with five flames.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   you name it

Bike Setup:   SC Blur

Submitted by Grant a Cross Country Rider from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Great fit. Great pad

Bottom Line:
    This review is actually for the 6 oz. training short. For fit purposes, I am 170lbs. with a 32 inch waist and I wear a medium.

This is my first pair of lycra shorts, so I have no benchmark to compare them to in terms of more costly shorts by Voler or by any other manufacturer. That being said, as well as these shorts have been holding up and for the cost, I don't foresee any need to look at any higher priced shorts in the future.
    Though Voler bills these as being thinner in material than the team shorts, I have found them pretty durable. I went down three times in the race last weekend, and though I had some scrapes beneath the shorts, they didn't rip at all. The chamois is their cantara pad, and I find it to be very comfortable without feeling too pillowy. The stitches in the pad are showing no signs of wear despite two or three times a week washings. I just ordered a couple more pair so I don't have to disinfect quite as often.
    Highly recommended. If this is your first trip into straight cycling shorts, I would definitely try these out. I think I'm done with baggies, but don't tell my friends.

Favorite Trail:   Dauset Trails (Huff and Puff)

Similar Products Used:   REI baggy shorts, Zoic Yuba shorts, Sugoi baggy stuff

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2004

Strengths:    Best pad
    Good fit

Bottom Line:
    Voler makes the best short for the dollar, in my opinion. Their fabric is top notch, their pad is the best I've tried, and contrary to the review below, the Team Short is available in eight colors. The Peloton Short is a different short, with different fabric.

If you purchase them through Voler's monthly specials, the value is unmatched.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from OK. City, OK

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    Team Voler Peloton Short. Nine panel fit. The description above states eight panel, but it's actually nine. Comfortable pad. Excellent value.

Weaknesses:    None really. Limited colour choices, but that doesn't matter to me.

Bottom Line:
    EXCELLENT value for the money. The other reviews are spot on. I purchased two pair for $80. About half the cost of PI, but equal or better quality in my opinion. Excellent pad makes you want to keep on ridin'! They even provide a prepaid return envelope if you're not satisfied.

Purchased At:   voler.com

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Performance, etc...

Bike Setup:   Pre-Trek Klein, Manitou, XTR...

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Billings, MT

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    These are the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn. The pad is awesome and they hold up as well as any short I've paid too much for.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best short I've ever worn, regardless of price and the price is great! Great padding and great quality.

Favorite Trail:   All of them