Troy Lee Designs Ace Shorts

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

The Ace fromTroy Lee Designs is a MTB specific short with a relaxed fit and design. Ergonomic MTB specific cut and fit Integrated removable inner short chamois with lycraThigh panels 4 way stretch, highly durable body material Full waist and hip height adjustment viaTPRTLD branded adjusters Pedal friendly inner side pockets with water resistant zippersThermal welded intake and exit vents for crotch ventilation AdditionalThigh and crotch ventilation zippers High quality ribbed spandex rear yoke p

Submitted by scvkurt03 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    MTB specific cut, great fit, amazing chamois

Weaknesses:    Not as cool as I'd hoped.

Bottom Line:
Great cut, great fit, awesome chamois. I've been off my bike for a month and just got a new saddle which was a little uncomfortable on my first ride in a while last week. Not at all uncomfortable today. The shorts stay in place and have ample padding. One last thing about the liner - most liners I've tried have some kind of thin band of rubbery material to keep the short from riding up. These do not - rather using a 3" band of lycra at the bottom of the leg. Super comfy.

If I have one complaint, it's that they weren't as cool as I expected. The Mavic Red Rocks I have are lighter and breathe a little better, but I'd gladly take the Ace over those for the fit, cut, and chamois.

I paid $60 for these on Chainlove, which makes this a 5 chili value. I don't know if I'd pay $130 for these, but I don't know if I'd pay $130 for ANY shorts.

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Fox Sergeant, Mavic Red Rock, Hoss Ponderosa

Submitted by OldManBike

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    Best chamois / liner of any MTB short I've ever owned, by far. The shorts themselves are extremely comfortable too. Mine are a year old, heavily used, repeatedly crashed, and hardly show any wear. I far prefer these to the Jett Raptors, Fox Altitudes, and Zoic Ethers I own.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and rarely on sale. The look is low-key for TLD (at least in black), but still flashier than I'd pick.

Bottom Line:
Awesome shorts if you can stomach the price. I don't get reviewers who buy light-colored shorts and complain they don't get clean.

Submitted by Graham a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    These are a very comfortable pair of short they stretch while cycling which is a big plus in my books

Weaknesses:    I got the Ace Short Yellow and these are not made for dirt I have worn them twice in dry conditions in Northern Cal trails and I had to wash them 6 time just to remove dry dirt stains out I would hate to see what they would end up if it was wet out! That said the treading in the seam is already coming loose along the pocket zip for $129 I was exception a lot higher quality.

Bottom Line:
Over all comfortable short that are over priced

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad C

Submitted by stuffshredman a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Cool feeling fabric, adjustable

Weaknesses:    QUALITY!!

Bottom Line:
Coming from a motocross background, I'm a big fan of Troy Lee. Got the D3 full face as well. But, for a top of the line pair of short that cost $129... the quality on these shorts was AWFUL! First, the velcro separated from the rubber pull strap on the waist adjustment on the second ride. I superglued it back, so not a big issue. Then, the stitching in the pockets came un-done on the fourth ride and my ID and car key fell out. I now put that stuff in my pack, so not a huge issue. Then, when riding with the thigh vents open, the vent caught on my thumb shifter after launching a rock. Yard sale. So, I ride with the vent closed. My bad. Finally, the pocket zipper just fell off. Now I can't close my left pocket.

So, these reasons combined with the fact that these are TLD's top of the line enduro type short is the reason for my low score. I've had Fox shorts and Pearl Izumi shorts that have lasted many, many seaons, so I know it can be done.

Favorite Trail:   The San Gabriels

Similar Products Used:   Fox shorts

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi, Cane Creek Double Barrel with Ti spring, Fox Van 36 RC2, King Hubs, BB, Headset, Mav 823 hoops, Thomson Stem, post, SRAM XO derailleur, Elixir Brakes

Submitted by CrzyMD a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, included inner pants with chamois.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
Really like these pants! The breakdown in Troy Lee pants is that the Moto and Sprint, are basically cut off motocross pants. The Moto has side pockets, the Sprint doesn't. The lighter weight Ace and Skyline have an inner pant/chamois. The ACE has zippered vents in the front, the Skyline doesn't. The Moto/Sprint, is a much more durable material. The Ace/Skyline, are much lighter and flexible material. For XC, perfect! The Moto/Sprint are for downhill, or crash prone riding. For me, there are the perfect pants! I would order more if they came in more colors. But they are exactly what I wanted (I have some Sprint shorts and they are too stiff and heavy for the XC riding I do). Having a chamois, inner pant is what the extra cost is about.

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Troy Lee Designs