Home | Reviews | Shorts | Swobo

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Swobo Wool Shorts

Submitted by David Reuteler a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Strengths:    wool & pad. well constructed, good fit & style.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
fantastic shorts ... if you can get them.

swobo doesn't seem to be able to meet demand, & nobody seems to have a good selection. from their site a large amount of it is back-ordered. that's all too bad, since otherwise i'd be inclined to buy quite a bit more from them.

aside from that, wool is great in minnesota. works equally well in august as october. no problems whatsoever with shrinkage. and it's true, i find i only need to wash them after 5 or more rides.

Similar Products Used:   pearl izumi, etc.

Submitted by Tom Alexander a Cross Country Rider from Peshastin, WA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    A great combination of a super comfortable pad and a durable natural wool fabric.

Weaknesses:    A bit warm on 90 degree plus days but great on the cool to warm days. Slight shrinkage during first washing but not a problem if allowed for.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shorts I've owned. I bought them for $50 at an end-of-season sale and they have been worth ever penny. After having a pair I would pay the full $80 fare w/o a second thought. They are comfortable and never clammy. I've never had crotch problems while wearing these shorts and I don't feel like I have to get out of them the minute the ride is over because of discomfort. So they have proven durable. These are shorts for epic rides.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Descente, Hind, Pearl Izumi, Dirt Designs, and others too long ago to remember.

Bike Setup:   Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy!

Submitted by Brian a Cross-Country Rider from Ft Collins,CO

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent fit and comfort
Seems well constructed
Style, baby!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Excellent shorts. These fit so well and feel so good, why ride anything else. I wanted a nice pair of shorts and I wanted wool. These fit snug like lycra but feel so much better . They've worked well for me riding in 80 degree days and also for a couple of 35 degree 'cross races. I like them a lot. Plus, last week, at a 'cross race in Boulder, a nice guy with a swobo cap asks me how I like the shorts. He was very interested and even offered a post -race beer. Thanks, Chris from Swobo!

3 months

Kucharik wool shorts
Performance century shorts
Nike lycra shorts

Submitted by Todd Hirsch a Racer from Itasca, IL

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
Construction is top-notch. There is not an over abundance of loose threads. The panels, seams, and pad are all well constructed.Fit. These are one of the most comfortable pair of shorts I have worn (wool or not). The large size that I ordered fit snuggly but comfortably in the waist, groin, and leg areas.Design. I like the look and overall design of these shorts.

Weaknesses:
Price. However, with anything that is well-constructed, usually costs more. You get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Overall, the shorts exceeded my expectations. This is my second review of the product after my initial experience, which can be reviewed below. Even though I placed my initial review without ever having tried a pair, I believe it was rightfully needed in light of my personal experience with SWOBO. Soon after I posted my initial review, I received an email from Chris Fenster, the chief executive officer of SWOBO. He apologized and offered to honor my original order but at half the retail price. I accepted and I am glad I did. I am always willing to give anyone a second chance. Thanks Chris for your quick and honest response. I think we can all learn from this experience.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Todd Hirsch a Racer from Itasca, IL

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
O.K. I lied about using this product so I could post this review. I have given up on this company because I have yet to receive any shorts or any correspondence after several emails to SWOBO. I talked to someone at SWOBO over a month ago, approximately a month and a half after ordering a pair of shorts from their website. They gave me the normal runaround. It has been so long that I have lost track of time.Anyway, here is what I sent to SWOBO in my last correspondence.how long have you been in business? it would be nice to know something about my order. i sent an email a week ago but have received no reply. maybe you didn't receive it. at this point who cares. please cancel my order so some lucky soul who might be experiencing the same treatment will be pleasantly surprised with a pair of new shorts.good luck in your business endeavors........ My point is this is a company that needs to get its act together. It has no customer service and has no clue of its own production.

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by RaverRave a racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
San Francisco is the second windiest city in the US, so if you ride here you either have to love the wind (and fog, and rain, and idiot drivers) or -- well -- you'll hate it. Swobo wool shorts make it a lot easier to deal with the elements: they're warm, they wick well, the padding is excellent, and they're comfortable as Satan Satan Satan despite being wool. You also don't have to wash them as often as other types of shorts, and when you do wash them, you can just throw them in the washing machine because the wool is tampered with a little bit of synthetic material to keep them from getting all fouled up in the wash. Also, Swobo is probably THE coolest company making cycling wear, because they're mostly bike messengers and so they can tell the difference between quality gear and crap. Swobo only makes a handful of gear, but what they do make is completely top quality. You will not be sorry. These babies rule!!! I can't say enough about these babies. BUY THEM NOW!!! HAIL SATAN!!!

Submitted by Gooch a cross-country rider from California

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

My last pair of wool shorts wore out 15 years ago. I miss them. I just got a new pair of Swobos and they are the best. I love the fit and feel of wool, especially the new less scratchy variety. I ride mine in the heat of Sacramento and they are super comfortable. I commuted home one day in 111 degree heat and they were great. If you're a touring or adventure rider they can't be beat because a lot of times when you're on that kind of a ride you can't wash your clothes as often as you'd like and wool doesn't stink. I'm glad to find high quality wool shorts again... the only caveat being that they are pretty expensive.

Submitted by Chris Lowe a racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

Wool shorts???? Those went out of style about 15 years ago! Well they're back and they're really nice. These are nothing like the old scratchy wool shorts with natural chamois that required tons of upkeep and never fit very well.. These are super soft and have a nice artificial chamois like any other short. So why wool? It feels better for one thing. Sort of like riding in flannel PJs. In cooler climates like the San Francisco Bay Area they're perfect. Definitely not for warmer or drier climes. Would be better if they did a bib version but for now I'm using some suspenders. Machine washable as well.

Icebreaker merino wool Men's Link Shorts - anybody tried them?

Any word on the these shorts, in particular about sizing? What's the fit like compared, say, to Assos?Read More »

Wool baggy shorts