Home | Reviews | Shorts | Swobo

Swobo Cargo Riding Short Shorts

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Swobo Cargo Riding Shorts

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Napa, Ca.

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    Sweet pad, great coverage, looks are stylin'

Weaknesses:    Flamethrower? Butcher knife? Pitt Bull? Have I made my point? NONE!

Bottom Line:
GRRRRRRRRReat Shorts! Good looks, feel and function. A little spendy, but worth the ducats. 5 Duraflames.

The last shorts I had tended to leave me a little, well...sore. The padding in the pups is outstanding. If you tend to ride on the pavement these probably aren't for you, save the bones and get something cheaper. If you like to ride hard, off road, and challenged these knickers will afford you maximum value.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   REI Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   Zoic, Nike

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper 2K

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from New York, New York

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    bomb proof, street smart, and trail ready, perfect fit in back pocket for Kypto. mini-U lock, they were designed that way for messengers, and comuters. best of all a geat small company form SFO. AND THE SOFT AND COMFY CASTELLI pad.

Weaknesses:    finding a swobo dealer.

Bottom Line:
As far as I'm concerned the Swobo Cargo short is the 1st last and only baggy / cargo short to own. I love and use this short so much that I bought 3 pairs. check out the swobo web site www.swobo.com to see the colors they change them about twice a year. Buy this short and keep your *#! & B*#!S happy.

Similar Products Used:   nema

Bike Setup:   Yo-Eddy, Gunnar sigle speed cross, Spot single speed, IF crown Jewl....STEEL, STEEL, STEEL

Submitted by Josh a Cross-Country Rider from chi-town

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2000

Strengths:
comfort
material
durability
indie company

Weaknesses:
only a few colors

Bottom Line:
these shorts have always been there, but it took a company like SWOBO
to make 'em right. not a problem here...

many

6 months

fox grommet

mtb bike

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
Superb Castelli liner
Great fit
Look good
Pockets
I don't feel like a roadie when I'm on the trail.

Weaknesses:
A little tough to get over the hips, tuff to take a leak because of this.

Bottom Line:
Great short. I'm glad I tried the Swobo for my first baggie (they're not really baggie). They don't hang up on the seat and are comfortable for the long XC haul. A nice change from the Johnson huggers, especially post-ride. I don't have to change to cruise into the Wawa.

less than 1 month

Pearl Izumi, Revi and Performance lycra shorts.

Jamus FS w/ Manitou SXR

Submitted by Stinkfoot a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Strengths:
Castelli liner, look good, comfortable

Weaknesses:
Stitching on pockets, high price

Bottom Line:
I'm having a dilemma about how to rate these shorts. They look great, they're super comfortable, and are long enough to protect that little bony part on the side of your knee when you slide across the dirt, but I had a problem with some of the stitching. When I first saw the cargo pockets I thought, what a great place to keep a spare tube, it'll make space in my seat bag for snacks and it won't hurt too much when I fall on it. Well I did just that and after a fall (a pretty tame one, really), I looked down and saw, much to my dismay, that about 4 inches of stitching had pulled right out! No big deal really, once I got home I just pulled out the ol' needle and thread and fixed it up. The only question is whether or not the rest of the stitching will be more durable than that on the pockets; it looks pretty much the same all around.
Now, how to rate these things? I guess it depends on your affinity for sewing and your dependence on the cargo pockets. Here goes:
If you bought them for the pockets and love sewing--- 5 chilis.
If you bought them for the pockets and hate sewing (or can't sew)--- 1 chili.
If you don't care about the pockets--- 5 chilis.
Average score: 11/3 = 3.6666666666666666 chilis.
Round it up and you get 4.
p.s. I'll update if the rest of the stitching self destructs.

3 months

boxers and cargos (not recommended).

Kona Lava Dome w/ Marzocchi z5.

Submitted by Drew Mui a Cross-Country Rider from San Bruno

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Durable
Comfortable
Great looks
Best padding on the market

Weaknesses:
A little pricey

Bottom Line:
Yeah, you may pay $15-$20 more for these shorts, but they are worth it. Very good fit, awesome feel. The padding is very absorbant and does not iritate the skin on long rides.

love 'em all

cannondale, Zoic

99' GT Avalanche
99' Marzocchi Z.2 Alloy

Submitted by Brent a Cross-Country Rider from Arlington

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Strengths:
Look Great
Feel Great

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This shorts are simply the best. They feel great on the behind and sensitive areas. Hands down the best looking and best feeling bike shorts I have ever worn. They never get caught on anything on my bike. I even love wearing them around when I am just hanging out. The girls love how I look in my Swobos. I have had nothing but good luck with the people(Jeff) at Swobo, and the fact that they are made in SF makes it all the better.

Singletrack Mind Shorts
Fox Cargo Shorts

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
Comfy, Durable, and as stylish as I will ever get. Great back pocket for wallet/lock/etc.

Weaknesses:
Pricy, Needs more velcro on the pockets.

Bottom Line:
Outstandingly well made, high performance baggies. The Castelli insert makes these the only serious option for those who do not like the lycra feel. Spendy, but they last well. Only problem is with availability. Swobo has run out until July. Good stuff.

1 Year

Zoic, Cannondale, Misc. Baggies.

Cannondale Delta V 1500 with Richey Ti Saddle

Submitted by RaverRave a Racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Strengths:
Great design, great fit, great materials.

Weaknesses:
Only made in three colors.

Bottom Line:
These babies rule!!! The padding is excellent, they stretch well in all the important areas, and the cargo pockets let you carry items in your pockets that normally you would put in a bag or pack. They also just plain look good: phresh, phat, and phunky.I would give them more than five flaming amputated _____ [censored], but oh well....

the streets of San Francisco

1 Year

REI shorts, Bellweather shorts.

Diamondback Zetec 2.1, Manitou SXTi shocks, and a huge embroidered sombrero.

Submitted by Marc Loney a cross-country rider from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Easily the best riding shorts I have ever owned. I have had nema, peral izumi, and more. They are very durable and comfortable and the material is great. They are a little large then most,but the design is great because nothing gets in the way or snags or catches. This makes them great for XC or downhill riding. Love um!!!!!!!

Submitted by Nisene a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

Maybe I bought them too big, but these are too loose-fitting in the crotch.. They snag and inevitably rip on the saddle tip if you move a lot on/off saddle. I tried to mend them, but they are now scrapped. The Zoic is a much better riding short, in my experience.