Home | Reviews | Shorts | Roach

4.1/5 (20 Reviews)

Roach Indy Shorts

Submitted by Dave Angus a Weekend Warrior from Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Very tough overall.

Weaknesses:    The front pockets and the velcro.

Bottom Line:
I don't know what model my shorts are; I bought them around 1997, and they have no padding. I wore them regularly for commuting and for crosscountry riding. When the weather got cold, I wear them over goretex tights. The front pockets have weak linings that don't survive keeping keys. The velcro fly loses its stickiness, then chafes the cloth. I've replaced the velcro and singed back the fuzzies.

I wish someone would clone these, but make the pockets out of something tougher, and maybe with zip pockets.

Favorite Trail:   Doumont Rd

Purchased At:   Pacific Rim

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Equipment Co-op shorts

Bike Setup:   1985 Ritchey Ascent rigid, 2005 Kona Hoss hardtail

Submitted by Vokes a Downhiller from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good and appears durable?

Weaknesses:    Product is in fact not very durable

Bottom Line:
I have to admit I am a little disappointed in these shorts. This is my first negative review.

Don't get me wrong the short look and feel great. Also the Roach (now Raceface) armor is the best money can buy, but these shorts are another story.

On the first ride, I got a severe "tire buzz". This is the one where you do a big drop and your butt comes down on the rear tire accidently. Well this happened to me, and the very first time wearing them, buzzed a hole right through the back of these shorts!

I just think there are a few better shorts on the market now, although if you don't ever go big to experience "tire buzz" then these shorts may be a good buy for you.

Favorite Trail:   The Ponytail Express

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other Brands of shorts ... Fox, etc.

Bike Setup:   Big Bad Demo 9

Submitted by cody a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    industructable shorts....my friend who sold me these for way cheaper and only used once has the same pair, just bigger and he also thinks there awsome....

Weaknesses:    little pricy when bought new,....2001 shorts have a roach logo on the butt and its poor sewing job makes it fall off when riding on your saddle ....no a big deal, the 2001 shorts don't have pockets (thats what a camelbak is for)...the 2002 shorts have pockets

Bottom Line:
these shorts are great....nothing lasts forever, so when these wear out in a couple years, i'll buy another pair of roach shorts

*roach has great equitment....maybe little pricy, but ya cant get any better stuff

Favorite Trail:   code 4 (bog, penticton)

Purchased At:   my friend charged me $40cnd instead of $120 brand new

Bike Setup:   i have a 2001 norco...but im buying a 2003 devinci hucker by next april; going to put 321 mavic rims, with new handel bars and stem, blackspire bashguard, hayes brakes, and new saddle........*i love my Canadian bikes!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    Fit

Weaknesses:    Customer Support and lack of buisiness knowledge

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my previuos reveiw. I finally received my shorts after waiting 3 months. There is no doubt that these shorts are good. They fit well, look great, and are real light in weight. However, when I ordered my shorts, I also ordered the pads that go in them. When I received my shorts there were no pads. I had paid for them and they were on the invoice but, someone had crossed them off the invoice with a pen. There was no mention about the pads. So, I sent an e-mail inquiring about the pads. After a few weeks I received an e-mail telling me they were on back order and that I would be receiving them the next week. Its now been 2 months since I was told I would be receiving them. I,ve sent three e-mails with no response. So now I,m elevating this to a different level. I know that in the US we have a better business bureau and I will be filling a report with them if its possible. Does Canada have somthing similar? If so, could you please e-mail me with the info, that I might need. I would not reccomend to any one to buy their products until they fix there problems. They need to put the BONG down and take care of their customers.

Purchased At:   Roach

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   Downhill

Submitted by K-Man a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    These shorts are dyno. They sit up in the crotch real well and don't slide down at all. I love the handy velcro zipper, it's really unique. These are cool to wear around all day if you want. But for the ride they can't be beat. They are strong and look new after a hard year of riding. I can't seem to rip them up so it is going to be a 5 flamer of fire manure.

Weaknesses:    They cost a bunch but got mine for half price.

Bottom Line:
Sorry about the folks with hassle about the customer service stuff. I deal with Soul Cycles here in Diego and all goes right all the time. The only problem with these shorts is I wear them too often and am slowly turning into a giant roach.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote, Dead Cow, Bulldog

Purchased At:   San Diego bike swapmeet

Similar Products Used:   Zoic, ST, Performance, Primal

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Rock Hound, Z2Atom 80 forks, Xt everything, WTB laserbeam rims, teflon cables,My dream bike!

Submitted by Toast a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    I use to praise this stuff, bomb proof, great styles, stuff built for a lifetime... but read below

Weaknesses:    Recently I set up a deal for my bike club www.ragemtb.com and here is what I get:

1. a 6 month wait on some of the stuff

2. they actually changed the quality on 1/2 the order from the cordura nylon to a cheap polyester, what is up with that?

3. they charge my credit card 4 months before shipping which i believe is illeagal

Bottom Line:
touch and go with these guys, with there business practice i doubt they will last a few more years. bottom line? if you see it in a store and like it, buy it, but don't order direct...

Purchased At:   Roach direct

Similar Products Used:   zoic, fox, etc

Bike Setup:   xc freeride

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    I wuold not know

Weaknesses:    Customer Service

Bottom Line:
This reveiw is actually for their downhill shorts. Ordered my shorts one and a half months ago and have not received anything as of yet. I've e-mailed them, called them many times, left my number and was told they would call me back. Still no reply. They could not even tell me the price of their shorts when I ordered them, just knew I wanted them. I ordered these shorts based on the feedback that Roach received on mtbr. So far I'm not impressed with their customer service(guy answers the phone, drops it , picks it up and says F%$k and then asks me if he can help me). If and when I get my shorts, I hope nothing ever goes wrong with them. I don't think I can wait six months to have my stuff repaired. I noticed that all the great reveiws about Roach are from canadians. Maybe if I move there from the USA, I might get some help!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Roach

Similar Products Used:   Fox downhill shorts

Bike Setup:   Downhill

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Denver, COlorado

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    Tough and comfortable. These shorts will soak up abrasion that would shred most other clothing. They shed water well instead of soaking through. They don't get in the way or bunch up or anything because of the way the fabric is cut and put together. Stitching is tough as nails. The fly is pretty cool. They look good.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive but that's what it takes to get a really good product.

Bottom Line:
Great shorts. I expect they will survive anything I live through. They are tough as nails.
The Roach people will do custom work for you if you're picky and know just what you want.

I can't remember the price for sure. I think it was around US$60. Whatever it was, it was well spent.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek Canyon

Purchased At:   www.roachclothing.com

Similar Products Used:   REI bike shorts, Misty Mountain baggies, other nylon shorts

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vapor w/ RF

Submitted by super man a Weekend Warrior from victoria, canada

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Strengths:    tough, looks, well made, you get the idea

Weaknesses:    nothing really

Bottom Line:
i have only had these shorts for 1 day and they are great
i am glad i got there instead of the kona shorts these look better too. i got them on sale for 80$ canadian, get these shorts!

Favorite Trail:   skull

Purchased At:   fort street cycles

Similar Products Used:   kona shorts

Bike Setup:   1999 rocky mountain fusion with dh rokko tires and bash gaurd

Submitted by Bill Bright a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    Looks good, never snags on seat, durable: takes lot of crashes with no damage to the shorts.

Weaknesses:    I guess price, but they are Canadian made in a small shop so you cant expect cheapness.

Bottom Line:
Great shorts to wear over tights. I prefer these over shorts that have tights sewn into then, they just dont feel right, and there is too much potential for "plumbers crack" while riding. Roach shorts take anything trees, rocks, ground, and angry snakes and squirrels on the trail can through at them. Like the guy below I have the regular baggies, I also bought a pair of the courdoroy type at the Toronto bike show, they seem comfy, but i haven't ridden with them yet.

Buy any type of shorts roach makes, you will love them.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Vancouver, Chain Reaction, and show

Similar Products Used:   activa baggies, various tight shorts

Bike Setup:   RM Slayer

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    ROACH quality, made in Canada, lifetime warranty, bombproof, light, breathable, nice big pockets, great fly

Weaknesses:    Price, if you pay full retail, but it is worth it for a short that will last forever. No liner, but some would consider that an advantage 'cause they can wear their favourite pair of lycra shorts underneath (I don't have lycra shorts, though)

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Roach "Baggy" shorts, not the Indy model. They are lighter and more breathable, and still made of RipStop Nylon, but there are no cool reflective strips along the pockets. In any case, these shorts are simply the best baggies you can buy. The fly could save valuable time in a long race if you need to stop for a trip to the bushes, as you simply unclip the straps and pull down the velcro for quick access.
As a patriotic Canadian, I always buy Canadian products whenever I can, so ROACH shorts are a great buy or me. They're made with pride and backed by a great company who offers a lifetime warranty on everything they make. However, I don't expect to ever need to use that warranty, as I have heard nothing but praise for the "indestructible" RipStop nylon used throughout the shorts. 5 chilis for value because of the lifetime warranty (any product with that kind of support deserves 5 chilis for value), and 5 overall because THESE SHORTS RULE.

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Purchased At:   Toronto Bicycle Show

Similar Products Used:   Normal baggy shorts with boxers, not recommended

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, Thomson, Syncros, Profile, SDG Bel-Air saddle

Submitted by Nathaniel Glickman a Weekend Warrior from sidney bc canada

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    every thing is good

Weaknesses:    nothing these shorts rock

Bottom Line:
i love these shorts even though i have only had thim a few weeks

Favorite Trail:   mega ribon

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   nothing this good

Bike Setup:   soon to be norco 125cc with gremeca front disc

Submitted by Bent Forkx a Cross Country Rider from victoria,bc,canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    comfortable, tough, lifetime warranty, great look,

Weaknesses:    back pocket velcro loosens up over time

Bottom Line:
On or off the bike, the shorts have a great style to them, comfort in ALL the right places (no bunching. As for the person complaining they are too loose, he might want to consider trying them on first, before he buys them next time.

Favorite Trail:   severed dick

Purchased At:   Roach direct

Similar Products Used:   core rat

Bike Setup:   Trek8000SL, Manitou Xvert, xtr, rockshox seatpost

Submitted by Scott Polser a Downhiller from Spokane,Wa.USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Strengths:    Stylin,BOMBPROOF,comfortable

Weaknesses:    Beltloops unraveled

Bottom Line:
Bought these Memorial Day in Rossland BC. The Sacred Ride shop is cool. Crashed in loose shale and not even a scratch!
I wear them over Dainese padded bib shorts and they never catch the seat. The belt loops unraveled after one wash and Roach offered to replace them. I just singed the frayed part with a lighter and sewed it back on. Just one bad batch so they gave me a killer deal on some knee pads direct. Roach stands behind their products!! Highly recomended for freeriders.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon