Performance Boulder Shorts

3.17/5 (6 Reviews)

• Elastic waistband
  • CoolMax Invista chamois
  • Resilient 100% polyester shell
  • Two hand pockets, two cargo pockets

Submitted by 92gli a Cross Country Rider from west chester, pa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    These are a decent value when they are on sale for $35, which is all the time at the store near me. Their best quality is that the whole waist area is really comfortable. It uses a soft drawstring to adjust the waist. Theres no zipper or velcro fly to bunch up and rub the area above the twig and berries. No snap to come open at random times like fox shorts. No velcro or abrasive belt that rubs your stomach if your shirt rides up.

Weaknesses:    The chamois stitching comes apart after some time, but my local store has given me new pairs twice for this reason - no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for but they're more comfortable than some of the shorts 3x the price.

Purchased At:   performance shop

Similar Products Used:   Hoss ponderosa, fox sergeant

Submitted by Bigtime a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, lots of pockets, wide waistband, drawtring that is on the outside of the waistband, they breath!

Weaknesses:    Somewhat cheap construction but they are an economy product.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for with these shorts. You can spend more and get more, but for the same $$ you can get two pair of these. The fit is decent, the cut is high enough that they don't snag on your saddle and the legs won't rub on your knees. Expect them to last about a year then get some more. The padding is ok, in the right location and air-dries quickly after washing. They breath well which is noce in the summer months. I buy XXL to fit a 39" waist. There are better shorts out there, and there are certainly a lot worse shorts out there.

Favorite Trail:   Skinny Ones

Purchased At:   Performance store

Similar Products Used:   Hoss, Mesa

Bike Setup:   Pitch Pro, WTB Speed V Comp, Ourys, Easton Flatboys

Submitted by Teebird a Weekend Warrior from Foothill Ranch

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Low price, comfortable, decent looking

Weaknesses:    Stitching in crotch, chamois

Bottom Line:
These shorts 'looked' well made but I am on my second pair and they are falling apart in the same place. The stitching at the bottom of the crothch is coming apart and the chamois stitching is coming undone. This is the exact same problem I had with the first pair. Decent short for the price but expect to replace after a year.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting

Similar Products Used:   Tights

Bike Setup:   2006 Ironhorse MKIII Comp

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Littleton,CO

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    chamois is comfortable, they don't catch when switching between in-saddle to standing positions - I was concerned about that but it's not a problem

Weaknesses:    inner shorts aren't Lycra so they don't stretch on the upstroke. This is especially noticeable on climbs. This makes it feel like the shorts are working against you. Kind of a bummer when you spend $$$ on your bike and a relatively inexpensive accessory gets in the way like this.

Bottom Line:
I was trying to go more stylish with the baggy shorts. I'll try some others and see if they work better. Won't be buying any more of these. Too bad the inner short material doesn't stretch better. Otherwise these shorts would be a keeper.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado/Utah, what's not to like?

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2008 Yeti 575 Race/Carbon

Submitted by Thomas from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    padded crotch, cargo pockets, good basic shorts, fairly cheap if you don't buy them at performance.

Weaknesses:    the elastic waistband doesn't bother me, but the drawstring is annoying. like the reviewer below said, no zipper and heavy stuff does bounce around a bit.

don't look too nice either, but not bad.

Bottom Line:
These shorts are pretty basic, crotch pad and extra pockets. it would've been nice to have some more pads on the thighs. however they aren't expensive and i didn't expect anything more. also the first time I rode with these I had my cell phone in the top pocket and it slipped out, but I can't blame the shorts for that.

overall pretty nice, simple shorts that work.

Similar Products Used:   none - first shorts I bought

Submitted by nick a Cross Country Rider from L.I. N.Y.

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    Price/value...fit....chamois.....simple design....comfort

Weaknesses:    low bottom pockets look good but functionally dont work well cause anything in them bangs off your thighs as you ride(same as any other shorts with this design) No zipper makes it a little tricky to pee

Bottom Line:
I'm impressed with these shorts for the $ . Chamois seems bulky at first but feels good when riding. Not too thrilled with the stretch waist and drawtring(kinda feels like little boys pants)but on the bike its not noticeable.Low pockets very secure but you can only put very light items in them (single key, some paper $)otherwise the items bang off your thighs when riding. I like to keep my cell in my pocket and it doesnt work well with these shorts. But I guess thats what the camelback is for.Overall happy with the purchase

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell