Home | Reviews | Shorts | Pearl

4.07/5 (69 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi Shorts

Submitted by Tim C a Cross Country Rider from Gunnison

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Good stuff... Got all the brands, grab the Pearl's first.

Weaknesses:    Would say price. That's crap, these shorts do not wear out to easy.

Bottom Line:
Try them on, make sure they fit. Other than that, kant go worng... Go with Pearl's best Chamois, other than that save your money. The Vertex rock, thank good for color... Solid black is for fat folk. Tall skinny folk need color. Oh yeah, this years team Discorvery Jersey matches the blue vertx very well. Have fun out there.

Favorite Trail:   Top of the World, Hartman rocks

Purchased At:   Turnin Ltd. Denver

Similar Products Used:   nike, castelli, and the rest

Bike Setup:   lol.. Yeti ASRsl super light, Trek 5200 naked carbon, GT xcr, puegeot, Mondonico, Gary Fisher, etc...

Submitted by bruce buckoski a Cross Country Rider from chapel hill

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great shorts, offer comfort and help prevent chafing.

Weaknesses:    can't find one.

Bottom Line:
best pair of shorts that money can buy!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 98 - off road
Klien Reve - road

Submitted by McCann Houston from phm141@aol.com

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Quality, durability, fit

Weaknesses:    Pricey

Bottom Line:
PI makes good stuff, and stands behind their products if their is a problem. I have used their stuff for 5 years and have yet to retire anything.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Custom Ellsworth

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable, durable.

Weaknesses:    none found yet.

Bottom Line:
i got these thrown in when i bought my poprad, which explains the $0.00 price(i think they sold for $59.95). they are very comfortable and i use them for my longer rides. sometimes i put a little udder balm on the chamois if the weather is hot to cut down on chafing. a good product that performs well, i recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   landahl trail

Purchased At:   walt's bike shop, columbia, MO

Similar Products Used:   several other brands.

Bike Setup:   fisher marlin hardtail and lemond poprad cyclocross bike.

Submitted by Alicia P a Racer from Brooklyn, NY USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Strengths:    Very Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
The is a review for the Womens Microsensor Shorts. The new PRT Chamois is awesome. Use it with some Chamois Butt'r and you'll likely have less chafing and saddle sores. For all the ladies who are sick of discomfort, get these shorts. They are definitely worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   MTA Stewart State Forest

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi Technifine, others shorts too

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 WSD

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from France

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    Stretchy fabric that has been durable.

Weaknesses:    The Fit!!!! The chamois is awful.

Bottom Line:
I had to go up to an XL to fit my thighs (which are not speed skater big by any means), then the length is too long, down to my knee caps. Doesn't Pearl expect riders to have bigger thighs than a couch potato? How many cyclists can wear Levis 501's? After each ride I have indentations on my thighs for 2-3 hours.
The chamois is always soaked at the end of a ride, but it does not bunch up.
The bibs are designed in a way that when nature calls, you must be a contortionist(sp?).
My first choice is the Castelli Progetto Y for fit, and the damn things are dry after a century, amazing. But the durability is at question.

Favorite Trail:   the empty ones

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   In Motion, Black Bottoms, Castelli, Descente

Bike Setup:   Road - Italian Steel w Campy, Mountain - aluminum hardtail w XTR & SID

Submitted by Aurora a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Strengths:    I got the OLD STYLE CHAMOIS ULTRASENSOR, which actually looks like real chamois! I don't feel any seams, they fit well enough for being a mens model and my butt feels not too bad after a long ride!

Weaknesses:    I bought mens Ultrasensor shorts because the womens were and are too damn small! I am now looking for a new pair and can't find any to fit me! And I'm not big at all! Anyway... I do like the old ultrasensor chamois! The elastic is rather tight though. I recently have looked at the new so-called improved top of the line crotch and butt padding and it all looks cheesy! I hate it when they improve and you can't find what you love anymore!

Bottom Line:
Thinking of getting a new saddle though, as I have a Selle San Marco Bontrager 202, which is a pretty nice, but simple seat. But I wonder if my butt feeling numb after 2 hours could be fixed! Any help out there, as to what's good for gals into comfort?

Favorite Trail:   roads, going to work

Purchased At:   Cycletech Bike stores

Similar Products Used:   Only pair I've bought, can't find any others I like!

Bike Setup:   MTB,Bontrager Race XT, Weinmann, Niterider

Submitted by Ruben a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    Pad, leg grippers, wicking ability.

Weaknesses:    Pad. If you sit wrong on this thing, your whole day is shot.

Bottom Line:
The shorts are comfortable, when you mount the pad right. I didn't, and got killed. Now that I know to snug them up, I don't have a problem. The PRT Chamois wicks away well, and it makes riding the centuries more comfortable. Try them on when you're thinking about buying them though, the PRT isn't for everyone.

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Canari, Louis Gareneu (sp?) bibs

Bike Setup:   2000 Lemond Tourmalet, 90%stock; 1997 Diamondback Expert 105 group.

Submitted by CW a Weekend Warrior from Mason City,IA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Strengths:    good quality fabic

Weaknesses:    bad chamois design

Bottom Line:
These are the Attack shorts with PRT chamios,one of the seams hit me on the left cheek and turned it to hamburger in 15 miles,these are the worst shorts I have owned,good materials and workmanship,but please don't put seams down there,it hurts some of us.

Purchased At:   Lakeside Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale HPX

Bike Setup:   Litespeed/Shimi 105

Submitted by Hans Hsu a Weekend Warrior from Taipei,Taiwan

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Nice lookin and clean without any fancy labels on it!The new PRT(pressure relief technology) is great.....I feel more comfortable when I ride(the Selle Italia saddle is a bit stiff )

Weaknesses:    Not that I know of............yet!

Bottom Line:
Get one...........it's worth the price.........I won't give it all of the flamin' chilis cause good new products come out all the time............ha!

Similar Products Used:   Nada...........'tis my first pair of cyclin shorts!

Bike Setup:   Doesn't really matter........it's a review on shorts isn't it..........anyway........Giant MCM Team 2001(I know you don't have it in the US anymore, but the bike store got hold of one somehow.........he tells me Taiwan only ships the 2001 model to Japan this year),full xtr, hayes disc brakes, SID SL, time atac titan carbon, race face prodigy stem seatpost handlebar.........bla bla bla bla bla!

Submitted by Elvis Karate a Racer from SW Mich

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    Look Cool and I liked the local rep Scott Parr.

Weaknesses:    Fit and the Pad

Bottom Line:
I ran into the rep at a sale and bought 2 pairs of these shorts one Bib style and one traditional. I am about 6'1 and the bibs are really binding. I can't even wear them without suffering.
The pads on each of the shorts feel like little saws working the tendons that attaches my leg muscle to my torso. I did a century and expected to find blood afterword it was hellish. The construction seems solid and the material is thin and breaths nicely but the pad is just wrong. I spent $180 on 2 pair of shorts that consider nearly unwearable.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Castelli, Nike, Descente, Canari, Schwinn, etc

Bike Setup:   Like yours 2 wheels and pedals (saddle WTB)

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    COMFORT!!! looks. doesn't make you look like your d*#k is hanging out.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
my Poprad had a tiny flaw in the paint when it came in and Walt's offered to get me a new frame or trade me some merchandise. i got my wife the Ben&Jerrie's jersey she has been wanting and got a pair of Pearl Izumi attack shorts for me. these shorts are really comfortable and make even the skinny seat on that Poprad feel good. the liberator on my fisher is like a couch with them. also glad they don't have the "look at my weiner" profile. maybe the woods profilers won't like this, but i do. don't know about durability so far(only a couple of washings) but i am WELL SATISFIED with the comfort and fit. if you live near the Columbia, MO area, stop by Walt's, they will treat you right! best LBS i've ever dealt with.

Favorite Trail:   trails on my 50 acre wooded farm

Purchased At:   walt's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek lycra, swobo baggies, bellweather baggies.

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail with lots of mods, new Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike.

Submitted by Jasan from Milwaukie, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Strengths:    fairly comfortable

Weaknesses:    very loose stitching

Bottom Line:
This review is for the microsensor bibs. On the first pair I brought home the stitching began to come loose around the chamois after washing before I even wore them. I exchanged those for a second pair and they made it throught the wash but again the stitching came undone around the chamois while riding. Untill PI redesigns the way they sew these shorts together I would not bother purchasing them. Other than that they were comfy on the century ride that I used them for but I am now using a pair of Castelli bibs which are more comfortable and stitched much better.

On value I give one chili because paying this much for a pair of shorts I expected much better.

Overall they were comfortable but not as much as the Castelli's. Three chilis overall

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Castelli

Bike Setup:   Litespeed, Campy Record

Submitted by Vince a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, VA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    Apparently relieves some pressure points with the new chamois.

Weaknesses:    The new chamois has all sorts of seems that really bite into my crotch.

Bottom Line:
Just bought a pair of the new Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts with the new PRT chamois. Put them on for my ride yesterday. They may relieve pressure, but all that stitching sure causes a lot of chaffing. These have to be the most uncomfortable shorts I've ever tried, I could barely make myself turn the pedals to get home. Just a warning to all that new technology is not always better.
Don't buy the shorts with the new PRT chamois unless you want to gamble on your comfort. They put the same chamois in their $110 microsensor shorts too and I almost bought them instead. I am no longer a PI fan. Maybe their cheaper Attack short is now the way to go.