Pearl Izumi Canyon Shorts

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi's Canyon short offers a dialed fit and clean look that transitions from ridgeline climb to favorite pub. The lightweight shell, made with Transfer Stretch fabric, provides superior freedom of movement and abrasion resistance. The 11-inch inseam and semi-floating liner give these baggies the right blend of trail credibility and street smart.

Submitted by Joe Parkulo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, breathable, just the right length

Weaknesses:    pockets are limited

Bottom Line:
I've had a pair of these shorts for about 3 years. They have been washed hundreds of times and still are going strong. I'm going to buy another pair. The detachable liner is the best feature.

Favorite Trail:   USNWC

Duration Product Used:   3+ years

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   Trek Rumblefish Elite

Submitted by mtb4life05 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    Very light weight,liner is very light and breaths well

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'3" 230 Clyde. and these are by far the best fitting shorts for me.
Very light weight and I don't feel like I'm over heating down there.
The short material stretches very well seeing how I have larger thighs than most.
The liner fits like a glove and breaths well.
My go to shorts for hot days.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   web

Submitted by SilentG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, fit well, forget that they are there, don't get caught on saddle

Weaknesses:    Having only one pocket is a bit weird, not a deal breaker

Bottom Line:
In the beginning I started out with some Pearl Izumi running shorts and used a PI chamois with them.

I then tried Hoss Ponderosa which worked OK but the belt in them broke while trying to tighten and keep them up. Then came the Hoss Stallion which I only used a couple of times due to shoddy worksmanship (insert broke on the loop system).

About 6 months ago I figured that I should just go with a Pearl Izumi short and the Canyon is their most popular mtb short (according to their marketing).

I wanted something with a detachable liner (adios Ponderosa), quality workmanship (sayanora Hoss), etc and my Pearl Izumi liner and even running shorts that I used before never let me down across rides, crashes, etc.

The Canyon is the only short I wear now. Extra chamois can be had at places like Pricepoint and I don't have to monkey around with pulling up my shorts, worrying about my shorts getting hung up on my saddle, crap breaking on the shorts, etc.

I just ride and my shorts have held up like new after a washing 1-2 times a week and use 3-4 times a week.

I wish I had just bitten the bullet up front and went with the Canyon as trying to save some $$$ on Hoss gear ended up costing me more than the Canyon and included chamois would have cost me.

Fitment is snug at the waist but true to size if you look at a sizing chart.Shorts/chamois do not get too warm here in Arizona where I ride in 80 to 90 degree weather.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Hoss Ponderosa, Hoss Stallion

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg

Submitted by ozzybmx a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, stretchy and well made, you get a decent pair of chamois liners as a bonus. Tighter fitting than most others.

Bottom Line:
Im just searching for a pair in a different colour and this review came up in the search, so im buying pair #2. These are now my favourite shorts.
I usually wear Large, i have went a Medium in these after reading reviews and would advise you to get 1 size down too.

Favorite Trail:   unshared

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many others.

Submitted by Aslan a Cross Country Rider from Chico, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    The Liner

Weaknesses:    Too long

Bottom Line:
The 2010 version of the shorts are so great. Still my go to pair of baggies. They were the right length, had this great quiet stretch fabric, the liner is top notch - even when compared to Lycra shorts. The snap closure could have been a bit better, still good though. Anyway, since they were all that, I bought a new pair. Change is not good in this case. Way to long so they hit below the knee. New fabric that is shinny and sticks to the saddle a bit. The liner is still good so I will be wearing it with my old pair. Of course I cannot find the old style anywhere. Bummer.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   The previous seasons version

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco, king, XO, ect...

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Pocatello, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit, excellent chamois for the price, topnotch workmanship/finishing

Weaknesses:    No front/side pockets, but then again, those would add weight/material

Bottom Line:
Great shorts--hands down the best-fitting baggy I've yet tried (see list above) and one of the very best in terms of quality of construction. Of the many pairs of mtb baggies I own, the PI Canyons are the first ones I look for when I'm going on both short and long rides. I particularly appreciate their simplicity and superlightweight, coupled with sound construction of much more durable materials than all other "lightweight" baggy shorts I've tried. I don't much care for pockets when I'm on the bike, though I do occasionally miss having some place to put my hands when I'm off the bike. These shorts are definitely right in there with the typical high quality of design and construction I've always experienced with Pearl Izumi products.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Primal Wear/Nema/Fox/Borah/Nike baggy mtb shorts

Bike Setup:   98 Specialized S-Works M2 w/Manitou Minute 2.00 fork and a bunch of lightweight stuff.

Submitted by Fang Grebelski a Cross Country Rider from southern, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Piece of crap

Bottom Line:
Read for yourself. I remember when PI stood behind their product at all cost. I honestly am not a complainer, but these shorts cost me $70 - and they ARE UNUSABLE! They suck. Here's the response from Pearli Izumi:

Kevin,
We do not offer an exchange program for gear that has been worn. You may want to try your dealer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fang
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:20 PM
To: Info
Subject: Request

I am a long-time loyal Pearl Izumi owner. I buy shorts, shirts and gloves.

I know that when I buy a new Pearl Izumi garment, I'll be happy. As a Mountain Bike rider, I've especially always appreciated the fit of PI tights... but recently decided to try a pair of baggies.

I purchased the Canyon Bike Short (Model #0115), and can honestly say I've never worn a more uncomfortable pair of shorts on a ride. In the bike shop, the large was too tight, but the XL felt good. But on the ride, on every climb, these shorts were dropping very low... I will not ride in them again. They really need a draw string or something to allow a better fit.

Do you have any exchange program in place?

Thanks

Favorite Trail:   Chileo

Purchased At:   Cycle Werks

Similar Products Used:   I normally wear Pearl Izumi tights.. love 'em.
Thought I'd try some baggies.

Bike Setup:   '01 Fuel 90 with an '04 Fox Vanilla fork. Great setup.

Submitted by Chris from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    Durable PI quality, look nice, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Too darn long! These hit me below the knee and got in the way while pedaling.

Bottom Line:
These would be excellent shorts if I was about 6" taller. They hit me in just the wrong place and - I understand from some folks at the Pearl Izumi store - I'm not alone in that feeling. The long length made pedaling uncomfortable and got in the way numerous times. I finally ended up selling them to a tall friend after wearing them twice. Otherwise the liner was comfortable and the overall quality was good. If Pearl makes some shorter shorts, they'll have a great product. Here's hoping for the 2005 model...

Similar Products Used:   Performance board shorts with separate liner.

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Hoss

Tree down in Sullivan Canyon

Was over there this AM. It's just after the exit to Squirrel Cage if going up, and just before if coming down. You could do some bush wacking to go around, but my crew could not find an easy way to get around it this AM. Cheers RobRead More »

Ride Report - Mt Saint Helens (Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham)

A ride report from our recent trip up to Mt. Saint Helens for a tour of Ape Canyon and The Plains --such an amazing place! If you live in the area and haven't done it, it's a must do! [url=http://wheelsandwater.blogspot.com/2013/07/mt-saint-helens-wa-ape-canyon-plains-of.html]Wheels & Water: Mt. ... Read More »

Ride Report - Mt Saint Helens (Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham)

A ride report from our recent trip up to Mt. Saint Helens (WA) for a tour of Ape Canyon and The Plains --such an amazing place! If you live in the area and haven't done it, it's a must do! [url=http://wheelsandwater.blogspot.com/2013/07/mt-saint-helens-wa-ape-canyon-plains-of.html]Wheels & Water: ... Read More »

Canyon Creek Ridge trail near Twisp

Anyone ridden or hiked this trail recently? What sort of condition is it in? Are the views worth the effort? (I've done Angels Staircase, Starvation mtn and Tiffany mtn so looking for a different alpine ride...) ThanksRead More »

Juicy surprise in Spring Canyon today

At about 100 yards south of the entrance to the side trail best known as Barrels. 6:45AM today. Try to remember these canyons (Oak, Spring, Sycamore and everything in between) has been the buffet restaurant for these carnivores WAY BEFORE the Marines called it theirs! Keep your eyes open and ri ... Read More »