Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts

3.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi's Canyon short offers a dialed fit with extra protection and increased breathability. The perfect 11-inch inseam gives these baggie shorts freedom of movement without excess fabric.

Submitted by bryan a Weekend Warrior from central pa

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    look nice, nice fit

Weaknesses:    for the money, poor quality

Bottom Line:
called ahead to performance to double check whether or not it had a drawstring because the website said no drawstring, they said no drawstring, well it had one, no big deal, then the reflective logo's peeled off about half way right out of the bag, still could have lived with them, not hard to please, but the deal breaker was that after two rides in two days, was flirting with cut butt, not good, anyway I will return these and go straight to LBS to buy my next short. Nothing against performance or any other company, I just feel that this is something that you should buy at your LBS along with other things, on their recommendations and you get to look over before you drop the cash, they need to eat too

Favorite Trail:   raystown pa

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   ss 29er rigid

Submitted by Jim Bennett a Cross Country Rider from Tonganoxie KS 66086

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Last years 2006 model are comfortable, well made and held up very well.

Weaknesses:    This years 2007 model, the style and fit have changed, and not for the better

Bottom Line:
I really like the 2006 model Attack shorts I've worn for the past year. They are comfortable, well made, and have held up very well. Not so with the 2007 Attack shorts I recently received as a gift. The 2007 Attack shorts are much different than the 2006 model. The new shorts now have a drawstring. I'm not sure what the drawstring is for, but I don't like it. More important, the style and fit have been changed drastically. Now, the legs of the shorts come clear down over my knees. At first, I thought maybe they sent me knickers, but apparently not. I don't understand why a company like Pear Izumi would change the fit and style of a good product so drastically, and continue to call the shorts what they no longer are. Pearl Izumi should discontinue the old style, and name the new style by a different name so we consumers don't waste our time and shipping dollars purchasing, and returning products that don't meet our expectations. I'll return the shorts, and start shopping for a different brand.

Favorite Trail:   Lawrence River Trails

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Last years (2006) model Attack short

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 29er

Submitted by Gennaro a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit, good padding, survived some good crashes, dry fast enough to wear 2 consecutive days (after hosing them off), leg grippers keep them from moving around

Weaknesses:    None so far, but I have only ridden in them for 1 month. No comment on durrability, but they look like they will hold up very well.

Bottom Line:
If you've never had bike shorts before... they make a huge difference.

I had no idea what I was missing out on. I think I will stick with the attack shorts, I don't see a need for ultra/microsensor.

Purchased At:   Richardson Bikemart

Similar Products Used:   None, first pair of bike shorts here

Submitted by Derek from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2005

Strengths:    PRT chamois feels great.

Weaknesses:    I read another review somewhere about these shorts cutting someone. Unfortunately I dismissed that persons warning.

I have worn the shorts 2 other times without any problems, but after about 15 miles of riding yesterday I started to notice a slight stinging feeling on the back of my leg. When I got home, another 10 miles, the seam of the chamois had cut through my skin.

Pay particular attention to how the edge of the chamois is exposed. I believe this is the cause of the problem. If you compare the construction to other brands, it seems that the edge of the chamois is sown over so that no sharp edges are exposed. Not sure why Pearl Izumi didn't sow over the edge.

Bottom Line:
If you buy these, be warned and at least wear something under them.

Similar Products Used:   Cheaper insport liquid-cell shorts

Submitted by eric heinrich a Cross Country Rider from Milton

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    fit well, don;t chafe, hold up legwarmers well.

Weaknesses:    Pearl Izumi as a rule of thumb is expensive and poorly made from my 15 years of riding and bike shop experience. the fit is great, but the materials break down. Gloves come aparts at the seams, the elastic in the sorts deteriorates quickly (my Giordana and Bellwether stuff doesn't)and the zippers are junk.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money. Buy Bellwether instead - it lasts longer and the zippers and elastic stand the test of time.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Hills

Purchased At:   bike shops

Similar Products Used:   Giordana, Bellwether, Castelli, Swobo, Sugoi, Hind, Crack-n-fail(cannondale)

Submitted by Art a Cross Country Rider from Ct

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Padding where you need it, good for long rides

Weaknesses:    Holes are sprouting up and growing where ever I've crashed and something sharp has tore the fabric

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere for durability if you ride offroad if your a roadie they might last a little longer

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great shorts. I'm really prone to chaffing, and have had no problems with these. Super comfortable and breathable.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking for it...

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap shorts, don't remember the brand.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Monroe, MI

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    Pearl Quality! Love the feel of the PRT chamios!

Weaknesses:    Pearl Price!

Bottom Line:
A great short at a OK price. I have used them for about 3 months on both the trail and the road. They seem to be holding up pretty well. I would say if you can afford them you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale shorts

Bike Setup:   Barracuda old school hardtail

Submitted by Wenona a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    Very good short! My first pair of women's specific bike shorts were Sugoi's and I hated them. They had too much chamois action going on. However, with these I've never had any problems with the chamois bunching. I like the shorter length than the UltraSensor's.

Weaknesses:    none that I've found

Bottom Line:
Ladies, buy this short if you're looking for comfort at a fairly reasonable price. Pearlies are the way to go!

Favorite Trail:   North Foothills on warm winter days

Purchased At:   ABQ Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi and PI UltraSensor's

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail with RS Duke Race fork

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from Waterford, MI USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, fit, No worries about chaffing or dry rot like normal chamios.

Bottom Line:
I rode for years using the standard bike shorts and always hated the feel of them. The PRT chamois system is soft and comfortable and easy to take care of. Just throw them in the wash and forget about them.

In a two-week time period I rode almost 300 hundered miles last june, my two pairs of shorts never bound-up, caused saddle sores, or once of concern.

I'm giving 5 chilis to these ones.

Favorite Trail:   T.K. Lawless

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

2001 Marin Attack Trail, Rock Springs,Wolf Ridge - Tara suspension -Lets See Them!!

I am building up a 2002 Marin Attack Trail full suspension frame. (tara adjustable rear suspension) Wondering how everybody set up and tricked theirs out back in the day.What components,forks.etc. 2001-2007 Post your favorite pictures. Lets see them!!!Read More »

2002 Marin Attack Trail Pro With TARA 4,5,6" suspension - anybody own one?

There are new old stock 2002 Marin Attack Trail Pro framesets listed for sale on ebay. (no affiliation to me). These frames have the TARA adjustable rear suspension 4,5,6" with a Fox float RL rear shock. FYI, the seller only has 17.5 framesets. I was thinking about building one up as an freeride/al ... Read More »

Mountain Lion Attack

Yikes [url=http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/child-attacked-mountain-lion-cupertino/nhHhm/]6-year-old boy attacked by mountain lion in Cupertino | www.ktvu.com[/url]Read More »

Couger Attack

[url=http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alberta-teen-recovering-after-cougar-attack-1.1978530]Alberta teen recovering after cougar attack | CTV News[/url] Maybe some learnings in thereRead More »

Attack Position?

Ok, so I am a noob. Fourth ride today on a pretty flat track. I've been reading Mastering Mountain Bike Skills. Among the other things I have been practicing (heavy feet, light hands, shifting weight fore and aft and side to side for climb/descent and turns, etc.) I tried the attack position tod ... Read More »