Oakley Ballistic 3.7 Shorts

• 100% nylon
  • Multi-thickness stretch chamois and removable mesh liner
  • Vents with mesh backing and zip adjustment
  • Side pockets made of ripstop material
  • Stretch fly
  • Adjustable internal elastic waistband

Submitted by monkies a Cross Country Rider from new york

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy, cool and style galore

Weaknesses:    The adjustment buttons come undone sometimes, but I'll probably glue them on or something if it keeps happening.

Bottom Line:
After trying other brands, Oakley makes the best bike shorts hands down. Great padding, great looks and functionality. My fox shorts are worthless, and not as tough or close to as comfy. My last ballistic shorts are still in use after 4 years, and just got these because it was time to upgrade the padding. Don't waste your money on other bike clothes other than Oakley.

Purchased At:   backcountry.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox shorts, other Oakley shorts

Bike Setup:   Mojo

Submitted by poontank a Cross Country Rider from Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable and super stylish.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet. However, if you don't get them a chainlove, they are quite expensive. But at the price I get them they were an absolute steal.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shorts I have ever owned. Most importantly, they make you look awesome :) and they are also very comfortable. The chamois is second to none and I love the length of the shorts. The style reminds me that I am a mountain biker first not a roadie who sometimes rides on the trail in lycra:)). Seriously though, if you are considering these short I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   PI, Fox

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dragon

Submitted by ssorgs from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    Stretchy, long inseam BUT short crotch, simple, stay dry, elastic pockets, fabric fly

Weaknesses:    price, zipper tabs larger than necessary, not sure if vents work

Bottom Line:
Only one ride, but I'm amazed. The outer stayed dry during a humid night ride in mid- upper-60s -- my Veers would end up soaked. They didn't snag on my saddle like my veers, didn't snag on by bottle cage like my veers -- stayed put.

Length is nice and long, though crotch doesn't hang down. Slim on pockets, but that's fine by me. The 2 large cargos zip and have spandex so larger items stay put. I put my riding glasses in after they kept fogging and they stayed put and out of the way -- didn't even notice them there. Usually with the Veer, my glasses end up sideways across the top of my quad and seem like they're gonna snap.

Though I like the zip fly of the Veers, these have a fabric panel that works just fine, but doesn't actually 'seal' - may get some xyz looks.

Not sure I could justify $120 retail b/c I got em on sale. But only bought 1 pair and can't find em anywhere near that price elsewhere -- now I'm not so sure. There's a lot of crap out there...

Purchased At:   LBS (BSS)