Home | Reviews | Shorts | Nema

Nema Jewel Shorts

4.05/5 (74 Reviews)

Jewel Short Designed withThe price conscious rider in mind, Nema gave ridersThe opportunityTo ride a pro-model packed with features at a lower price.The Jewel remains one ofTheir all-time best selling shorts. Rip-Stop Nylon Outer Shell Front-Pull Cotton Drawcord Rear Stretch Panel Four Cargo Pockets Alpha X-Liner Molded 1-Piece Chamois Sizing S M L XL XXL Chest(in) 41 43 45 47 49 Chest(cm)

Submitted by Captn.dude a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Price, fit , and description

Weaknesses:    Zippers are weird

Bottom Line:
I read the sizing guide and bought what the manufacturer suggest. These shorts fit me fine, but I am 6' 165 lbs so when I say I wear a 32" waist it really only measures 30" but I can't get those over my rear end. These pants are tight, but they are spandex and as for the heat argument I sweat so much when I ride I couldn't tell a difference. This pad also just feels like bike pants to me, they aren't fun to run or sit around in but the pad serves its purpose. If the zippers were higher quality I would give them five chilis since bike shorts should never cost more than $25 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SuperLight, Reba Race front, Fox RP23 rear, Shimano LX crankset, SRAM x-7 rear, XTR front with Shimano BR-525 hydro brakes

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from Katy,TX

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Fit, comfort, chamois

Bottom Line:
I took a chance and ordered online without being able to find anything decent here at a few shops. I am a 39/40" waist - the first pair I received in XL wouldn't even go up my legs, the 2nd pair I received a week & 1/2 later barely went up my legs and sufficates my body. I don't understand - they look huge from the outside, but when you put them on, its Oh-My-God-Skin-tight-Im-Going-To-SCREAM!! Think "your jeans from High School", yeah you may actually be able to pull them up, but not in exactly in comfort. I wear size XL sports products normally so wth, is everything sized smaller for bikers? what did I miss?? Plus I noticed the pad is huge. Think - "Half a Huggie" - I mean really?!?!. And worse, its no better than 1/4" cheap of cheap foam. How this is supposed to allow you to ride longer in comfort is beyone me. I'll take my own sports shorts w/out a pad thank you very much. And it got real hot down there real fast, but then it was all searing friction against my body so who knows. Shame really, for those looking for a good entry level MT.bike shorts with chamois, they are aweful in every way.

Favorite Trail:   Hw6 Trail

Similar Products Used:   None yet but soon

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by J B a Cross Country Rider from Sandia Park, NM

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    Well made except for the drawstrings.

Weaknesses:    Like the others said, "only kids wear diapers" Side drawstrings were useless after a few rides. AZ riding in the summer, these shorts will roast your crotch!

Bottom Line:
NEMA is Crummy at best............

Favorite Trail:   Windsor, Santa Fe

Purchased At:   Rage

Similar Products Used:   DNA baggy

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur W/5th Element(No problems!)Fox FX100 SRAM Drivetrain, Thomson, Mavic wheelset.

Submitted by Oswald a Weekend Warrior from Reeves

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Looks are okay.

Weaknesses:    Giant Diaper. Too long.

Bottom Line:
My god, why did they mess with it? Nema Crown Jewels were BY FAR the best shorts available. Really comfortable, great pockets, chamois was correct size, looked good. Others have noted it, but I write this in hopes that Nema checks these boards out and fixes their mistake. It's probably too late, and most people have moved on but I really don't understand why these companies keep styling themselves out of business. I wish I'd bought two of the originals (or that I hadn't gained some weight). I still would rather squeeze into my first pair, then step into the cheek stirrups that are Nema's idea of an improvement.

Submitted by Kyle Asel a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Good fit, better for normal size guys not stick boy racers.
Light weight, great for AZ with warm temperatures.

Weaknesses:    Chamois pad is a little large and bulky, but once riding did not seem to be a problem.

Bottom Line:
Fit better than my more expensive Oakley shorts. If you need a fairly light weight baggy with vents (Crown Jewel) I recommend these shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Basin (Prescott)

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    Look cool.

Weaknesses:    My kid wears diapers. Poor guy, got to get him potty trained, cause now I know how he feels. Feels like I've got a full load in my pants. The back of the shorts always creep down and make all the padding bunch up under the family jewels. It literally feels like someone stuffed a blanket in my pants.

Bottom Line:
When I first bought them and put them on before a ride, I had to look at myself in the mirror to make sure it didn't look like I had a load in my pants, cause it sure felt that way. WAY too much bulky padding, and it all bunches up in the wrong places. My a$$ usually ends up with now padding, and my friend up front gets jammed into a lumpy pillow. Ahh, the heck with it, they're horrible.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Similar Products Used:   First pair of designated mtb shorts.

Submitted by Oechsner from Evergreen, CO

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2005

Strengths:    Good length, not overly restrictive, good customer service

Weaknesses:    Diaper feel, drawstring severed on the second ride, cargo pockets useless

Bottom Line:
Not a bad short, but not the most comfortable. Even after 10 washings I still feel like I'm riding with a dump in my drawers. Nema's customer service replaced the drawstring and overnighted the shorts back, which is impressive. I love to find an older pair from everything I've read here.

Favorite Trail:   Horsethief Bench

Similar Products Used:   PI baggies, Trek baggies

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Race disc

Submitted by Oswald a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    comfortable, lots of pockets

Weaknesses:    New version bites. Too expensive.

Bottom Line:
Nema, what hath thou done? I bought a pair in 2000 and they were fantastic - definitely worth the price (if a pair of pants with a sponge in your crotch can be considered worthy of anything). I went back in 2002 to buy another pair and went ahead even though they were different. They suck. They changed the size, put a freaking bed mattress in the crotch and cheaped out on the material. I guess they figure they're Nike and they have to redesign every year? Bring back Classic Coke!

Similar Products Used:   Zoic, SingleTrackMind

Submitted by Jeff Lane a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    This review is for the 2004 Crown Jewels: Look Good

Weaknesses:    Horrible Chamois.

Bottom Line:
Nema messed with a great product and made it worse and more expensive. I got a two pair of crown jewels a couple of years ago and have been pretty happy with the shorts. When I saw the 2004 model on sale at REI I thought I'd give it a try. I'm sorry I did. The Chamois is huge and uncomfortable. Te material they use for the surface of the chamois digs into your as$ and just becomes irritating after a short time in the saddle. As for the rest of the short: the pockets aren't very functional, the vent zippers get caught all the time, and the double waist cinchers are a pain.

I think Nema went too much for style and features and not nearly enough for comfort. They need to go back to the drawing board and start with a quality chamois.

Just for comparison I would give the earlier version of the C. jewel a 4 chili rating.

Favorite Trail:   Marys Peak

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   2002 Crown Jewels: great short

Submitted by Mike Staples a Cross Country Rider from Sonoma, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2004

Strengths:    They are well constructed.

Weaknesses:    Maybe I just got too small a size, but they felt good in the shop. I got an XL, which seemed reasonable and felt good, but once on the bike, they were obviously too small, binding, and there was no way I could exchange them. They creep down in the back so it feels like I need to stop and pull them back up. The netting of the inner lining hangs down below the outer shell, which is really annoying. I guess I really don't like them at all, when it comes down to it. They are nowhere near as comfortable as (dare I say it)lycra.

Bottom Line:
Too expensive. Be careful about the fit. These guys are VERY expensive. Try on some alternatives. For me, they are only one step better than wearing a pair of $15 baggy shorts with a $20 shamie liners...and a whole lot worse than lycra shorts.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None. I don't have anything to compare them with. Maybe other baggies are worse.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    Tough outer shell, excelent inner liner (a real liner, not just some tight slightly stretchy mesh), pretty much bomb proof

Weaknesses:    none (well, ok, the chamois is kind of worn after 3 years or riding, but I can't really fault the shorts for that)

Bottom Line:
This review is for the shorts from 2000, and they are my favorite. The outer is really tough, it hasn't ripped, and I have taken some pretty hard spills with them. I think the new shorts may have a different outer material (seems softer in the shop) and a different liner, which is a real shame. I would buy duplicates of my old Nema Jewels, but I am not so sure about the new ones. I may have to try them since I think it's about time for another pair of shorts. I love my Nemas, even though they are way overpriced--like all other cycling shorts. Really good shorts are worth the money, especially if you have a bunch of cheap shorts to make you appreciate the good ones even more.

Similar Products Used:   other baggies and lycra

Submitted by Lars a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Good fit. Legs right length. Thick, beefy pad. Durable. Wide elastic on legs. Mine have elastic waistband.

Weaknesses:    Pad moves forward a bit, but not as bad as last reviewer. Spendy - but ALL bike shorts cost too much.

Bottom Line:
I like 'em a lot. They're comfy, ware well, and have survived.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Matt Fulks a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    Length is good

Weaknesses:    Drawstring uncomfortable, chamois in wrong spot, rides down my butt.

Bottom Line:
I've used several pair of these shorts for a while now. The drawstring is pretty uncomfortable if you ask me. Elastic would be better, or even a big wide drawstring. Also, on my shorts, the chamois seems to be way too far forward. It's all bunched up around my crotch, and my butt is taking the pounding from the seat. But they seem durable and have held up for a long time. They look pretty good too.

Purchased At:   Cambria?

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the "CROWN JEWEL" model. I thought they were gonna be the best thing since sliced bread, but they're not. They're too expensive for what you get. I found the cargo pockets completely useless because I put everything in my Camelbak. They are not very durable...one crash can ruin them for good and you're out $90. The outer shell is sweet material if you never crash. The breathable mesh under-shorts are nice and cool. I've had two pairs (I crashed in the first pair). The first pair had a great draw-string that held tight. The second pair has a draw-string that doesn't hold that well. Nema's are good for big guys because they are available in XXL and most companies don't offer this size. Overall they are above average, but just too expensive and I wouldn't buy them again.

Blacx Jewel Dropper Seatposts?

I saw these new Blacx dropper seatposts online yesterday, and I am wondering if anybody here has had a chance to try one. They are pretty new to the game I think, but they look like they could be good. At least someone is finally placing the remote cable placement is finally on the lower partr of ... Read More »

Blacx Jewel AM or XC?

Was Blacx there or mangai.rollin? Anybody have any real world reviews yet? Thanks.Read More »

Another Craigslist jewel

[URL="http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1818360923.html"]http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1818360923.html[/URL] ***Read More »

07' gary fisher wahoo (Junk or Jewel)

I have an opportunity to purchase a 19" Wahoo. However is this bike junk or jewel? How well is this bike standing the test of time? Are the stock parts holding up? Most important how does it handle?:eek:Read More »

Crank The Shield – The New Crown Jewel of Ontario

I would like to give Adam and Sean a well deserved standing ovation on a separate post here. They have reached new heights of genius in putting together an event this large, and doing it right the first time. Many organizers take years to get it right. They have put an event on the Ontario calend ... Read More »