Louis Garneau Cactus Mountain Bike Shorts Shorts

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Louis Garneau Cactus Mountain Bike Shorts

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Strengths:    THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE LOUIS GARNEAU ERGOTEX LYCRA SHORTS
— Much more comfortable than boxer shorts.
— Provide good muscle support.
— The pad is excellent. I was going to replace my SDG Bel-Air saddle before I bought these shorts, now the saddle is comfortable.
— The leg grippers and drawstring keep the shorts in place nicely.
— Canadian-made.

Weaknesses:    — That "swish, swish, swish" sound the shorts make when they rub against the RipStop nylon in my ROACH Cargo shorts! It's driving me insane!

Bottom Line:
These shorts are great. I'd appreciate them even more if I wore them without a baggy shell, but I don't like people staring at my package.

Louis Garneau claims these shorts help muscle recovery due to their excellent muscle support — I, for one, believe them. My legs didn't feel numb at the end of my last ride; in fact, I felt as if I could easily do the same ride over again twice.

I must admit, the first time I wore these shorts, it felt like a diaper — the pad is very thick. I definitely would not recommend these shorts for runnning. However, once I got on the bike, the shorts were in their element. I did get some numbness — but that's because my frank is so long it had to be tucked down (I'm not joking.)

I rarely give a product a perfect ten chilis, as you get what you pay for. However, I feel the $103.50 CDN I paid for these shorts was worth it just for the muscle benefit and the comfort.
I think $103.50 CDN is a bargain for a top-end pair of shorts like these. The only competition comes from Pearl Izumi and Castelli — both of which are way more expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Purchased At:   Fontaine Sport & Cycle

Similar Products Used:   ROACH cargo shorts worn with boxers.

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, Thomson seatpost, SDG Bel-Air saddle.

Submitted by Stumpy a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    Good looks (if you don't want to wear spandex), comfort for short rides, not very baggy (won't feel like your shorts are falling down).

Weaknesses:    Has a centre seam in the lining. On long rides, it will hurt.

Bottom Line:
These are good shorts for short rides when I don't want to wear tight spandex to show off my skinny legs. They are not as baggy as Zoic shorts. In fact they feel closer to spandex then baggy shorts. I personally prefer it that way. However, it could have been a little longer. I think it is a couple inches too short. The cargo pockets on my Zoic shorts are much more convenient.

The liner isn't very good. It is okay for short rides but forget. I used them for during a couple of endurance races and they hurt (I won't get into the gory details). From now on, spandex for all races. Why doesn't anyone put real chamis into baggy shorts?

BTW, they are not cheap. I paid $80 CDN (plus all the world famous Candian taxes).