Gore Bike Wear Countdown SO Pants Shorts

The only real advantage to wearing tights during the winter is that fewer people are on the trails to see you. Of course, you can always wear shorts, but frozen kneecaps are never in style. Now there's an alternative to discomfort and embarrassment. The Gore Bike Wear Countdown SO Pant is pure mountain. The loose fit and stretchy Windstopper fabric make the countdown warm, super comfortable, and won't make you look like you just left ballet practice.Gore Bike Wear's Countdown SO Pants are made from Gore's patented Windstopper Soft Shell material. As the fabric's name implies, the Countdown SO Pants are windproof; making them the ideal pants for cold, breezy days on the mountain. For increased functionality, the Soft Shell material is also water-resistant and highly breathable. The precise, anatomic fit is derived from the Countdown's active-fit silhouette with an adjustable elastic waistband and zippered leg hem. Additionally, the pants feature a tapered lower leg that increases comfort while decreasing the chance of a chain-related mishap and abrasion-resistant panels at the inside leg and saddle area for added durability in key spots. For safer night riding, Gore also integrated a large reflective graphic on the side of the pants.The Gore Bike Wear Countdown SO Pants are available in sizes Small through XX-Large, and in the colors Petrol Blue and Black.

Submitted by EOS_ a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2017

Strengths:    totally windproof, water repellent, breethability, comfort and design

Weaknesses:    a bit tight fit around the waist area (for me)

Bottom Line:
After riding many non-bike specific pants I decided to look for some like these. Just as mentioned in the description, I did not want tights. No way! But loose pants are also not ideal for cycling. I chose these pants because they are something in between. I really like the design - blend of dark gray and black color and blue line zips.
I got them at a clearance sale at the end of winter Feb/2017, size “M”, other sizes were out of stock. They are a bit tight at hips and waist (my height 180cm, waste 84cm). Size “L” would be more comfortable for me, but on the other hand they would probably be too loose and would not serve their purpose as bike pants that well. Fit is of course individual. That is the only issue for me, but they are elastic in that area so not a major one. They feel tight when putting on, but after getting on the bike I do not even feel I am wearing something. Other than that, they fit good on legs. What I also like about their shape, they cover the lower part of the back. It does have the tendency to move down after some time riding, but they have the option to use a belt, which is not that common for bike pants. Of course they can be tightened by velcro fastening on ankles so they stay clear of chain. 2 front zip pockets and right Side zip pocket are tight, but usable. From inside they feel soft, so no comfort issues either. Their weight is around 440g which is not bad.
Windstopper softshell fabric is a fantastic material. Absolute no issues regarding the quality or functionality. Totally wind proof while breathability is also very good. I wore them in all ranges of temperatures. When it was around 10°C they are ideal, when it was around -5°C I put base layer tights with knee warmers under them and they kept me warm no matter how windy it was during the coldest days. I am really surprised how effective the water-repellent coating is. I rode in light rain and through puddles, they were all over decorated with water droplets and I stayed dry. An unexpected late April snow/rain flurry at temperature around 1°C caught me by surprise when riding home from work, after heavy wet snow cowered them during the ride, after about 30min they soaked through only some at thighs. Water resistancy is really fantastic regarding that it is not what they are intended for, they are windstopper, not gore-tex. They are not cheap, real quality comes at a price. Maybe not for those who do not ride too much during winter. If you enjoy rides in cold conditions, highly recommended.

Purchased At:   bajkula.sk