Fox Racing Sergeant Shorts

2.5/5 (24 Reviews)

The Fox Sergeant Short combines activity-specific fabrics, smart features, and film-worthy style in a short that the gravity crowd can be proud of.2-way stretch cotton main body for airflow and maximum breathabilityDetachable liner for added versatilityAdjustable waistband for custom fit2 hand and 2 cargo pockets for plenty of storage

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Looked good new, got a deal for $50 online.

Weaknesses:    Holes in seat after 10 rides, faded in sun.

Bottom Line:
Weird fabric. Have other pairs of shorts that have 40 plus rides on the.

Submitted by fgiraffe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Strengths:
The (black color) looks nice on or off the bike.
Adjustable waist tabs are handy.
Front pockets zip, rear pocket for wallet is nice size.
Handy sunglass wipe inside pocket.

Weaknesses:
Chamois pad is a little short in the front and very uncomfortable when you (or it) shifts when riding.
List price is insane, they are only a good value when on sale.
Sizing seems to run a little large.
Waist adjust tabs are inside the waistband, and will rub the heck out of you unless they are perfectly aligned. Adjust them once a ride and you'll be OK

Bottom Line:
Nice shorts that ride well even though they are long. Very comfy. They do not drag on the knees as much as I feared. Plenty of pockets, but not too heavy that you think about them much when riding. I would never pay list price but they are worthy shorts in the ~$60 range.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Submitted by gastonbx

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    This shorts are great at first, all the pockets, I-pod pocket, etc. They are light and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Weak... I have now confirmed after using 3 pairs in less than 2 years, they get totally scraped in the bottom, where they touch with the bike's seat, plus also get totalle bleached by sun exposure. I am a weekend - warrior, I leave in a city, and ride 8 hours per week top, so I believe this is totally bad, as the cost of this pants is not cheap for this things to happen.

Bottom Line:
If you but them, think that you will be tossing them out afte 12-14 months of usage, or having them repeared and using with a flower power / psycodelic t-shirt!

Submitted by ebeer

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Built well, feel very solid without being bulky or too hot. Perfect length for me and crotch that hugs for comfort and ease of getting behind the saddle, but not restrictive like other huggers that put on a sausage display.

Weaknesses:    I suppose weakness is price, but if you're as cheap as me you'll find the -1 model year for roughly half price. At the $54 I paid I'd say these shorts are a bargain.

Bottom Line:
First off I have none of the experience described below with poor workmanship. The liner is very comfortable and well made...no sides premature wearing. The shorts themselves are rugged without being having the downhill stiffness. I'm happy to pedal all day long and don't find them too hot even with lack of air vents which you might come to expect for a short that costs $100. Pockets are straight forward and simple (back pockets, front pockets, and cargo). No hidden zippers, pockets on a slant, etc. I love the back pockets for heading to the pub...I can put my wallet where its supposed to be and not have too much crap jammed in too few pockets. The grey cammo on the 2011 looks great. The length is perfect for my riding and fits just fine over knee pads.

Submitted by Berserkersmurf a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great Fit and looks.Zip able pockets.Removable chamois.

Bottom Line:
They fit great, and look good( I bought the red ones). You can wear the shorts without the linen. They are very comfy .I don't understand all the bad reviews. I have fun riding in them, and the liner does its job.The only thing you have to do is wash them COLD or you will have pink socks.They are still the same color as when i bought them.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by 87sheerips a Weekend Warrior from SW Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    COMFORT AND FIT!!!

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
Great short, buy them!!!

Submitted by PeytonP a Weekend Warrior from Center, TX

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable! Look great on/off trail. I wish I could wear these 24/7.
Chamois is the the mid-level Fox line, but I wouldn't ride without it now. It's detachable (huge plus), which makes my desire to wear the main shorts around all day much more enjoyable.
Fast drying (and I sweat A TON)

Weaknesses:    Just a tad bit long? The ends would tuck into my knee/shin guards at times- bearable.

Bottom Line:
I have no idea where the terrible reviews are coming from. Maybe I haven't given enough time for wear? I can't see how these shorts will tear up at all (not considering a gnarly, rocky crash.
They're extremely comfortable, and my girlfriend kept looking at me and saying, "You look really good in those shorts." lol Seriously, you can't beat something that's awesome to ride in, wear all day long, and have you're girlfriend love too!

Favorite Trail:   freeride- wherever

Purchased At:   www.foxracing.com

Similar Products Used:   other Fox shorts

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Brass, Truvativ crank

Submitted by 92gli a Cross Country Rider from west chester, pa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Outers look "cool". Lots of handy pockets. Waist adjustability with velcro straps is effective.

Weaknesses:    Right out of the bag the inner chamois has stitching coming apart.
The legs on the others are way too long, why ? Who can pedal like that ? I have to fold mine up.
And most importantly, the inner chamois has some stitching that has been giving me very bad sores at lower inside part of my buttocks.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't have bought them if there was a local shop that carries fox clothing and I had the opportunity to see them first.

Favorite Trail:   the wiss

Purchased At:   bike bling i think

Submitted by tvan a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    Terrible inner chamois

Bottom Line:
Not the worst if you wear a good lycra short underneath. I wouldnt even consider trying on the liner that came with these. Overall too baggy and get heavy when wet. Too many pockets. Who needs pockets when there are camelbacks? I would much prefer something slimmer, lighter and more vented.

Favorite Trail:   fagowie

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by bodyboard1 a Weekend Warrior from Inland Empire

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    The inner liner ripped before I even had a chance to wear them. Total crap!!!

Bottom Line:
You would think that you get what you pay for with FOX but this is not the case with the shorts. FOX should have a disclamer that their shorts are made in a third world country. Thanks FOX you have just lost my business.

Favorite Trail:   South Ridge

Purchased At:   Fox.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4

Submitted by Iwan a Weekend Warrior from Cape Twon, South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Great fabric
Not too warm
Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Not the greatest fitting chamois

Bottom Line:
I've been riding in these for close to two years and they have lasted me fine. No issues. No ripping, no tearing...nadda. And I have crashed them quite badly.

What more do you want? Shorts with a removable liner that lasts two years (and still going strong!) and fit well.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai / Eden

Purchased At:   Cycle Factory Store

Similar Products Used:   Other Fox, Troy Lee, Endura...

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo / Morewood Mbuzi

Submitted by rane a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    look okay

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable, difficult to ride in

Bottom Line:
I ocassionally wear these shorts grocery shopping, but I only wore them once for riding. Bottom line is that they're messy to ride in, and I'd rather ride in something that I can forget I'm wearing. They're noisy and bunch up and I hate the inner chamois. I got them on sale online, which was a good thing; but I'll never buy another pair of Fox shorts if I can't try them on first.

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   Oakley 3.7, Troy Lee Moto, Nema Crown Jewel

Submitted by ikarus189 a Weekend Warrior from Oaktown, CA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    Looks? if you like camo

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
biggest. pad. ever. wow. bought these on sale, thank goodness. only tried on the outer shorts for waist fit, cuz all chamois(es)? are pretty much the same right? wrong. Wrong. I don't know who Fox designed these shorts for, cuz my croth width-wise is not half a foot across.

Favorite Trail:   DEMO

Purchased At:   MontanoVelo

Similar Products Used:   oakley trail

Bike Setup:   FR

Submitted by rikjez a Cross Country Rider from Windsor, CT

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Look good. Good cut; not too baggy fit keeps from snagging on seat. Incuded liner with what appears top be a good quality chamois.

Weaknesses:    Chamois is cut terrible making it fit very baggy and bunches up the first time you wear them on the trail. Attachment system for inner liner is useless.

Bottom Line:
I was so psyched when I found a pair of these on clearance at my LBS this weekend, as I remembered checking them out last fall but just not wanting to spend $90 on a pair of shorts at the time. I have since found that you do get what you pay for when it comes to good shorts with a quality liner after picking a set of Pearl Izumi Microsensor bib shorts for my long road rides. After checking the build quality and considering these originally sold for $90, I figured they'd be awesome. Man! Was I ever wrong!!! Wore them for a four hour ride on Saturday, and will never wear them again. Felt like I was wearing a big, wet, sloppy diaper after a while that kept buching up and falling down. The inner liner is just cut really weird and the chamois kept scrunching up. I think these do run a size larger than usual so make sure you buy them on the snug side.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mtn