Fox Racing Ranger Shorts

2.08/5 (13 Reviews)

The Fox Ranger short features 2 way stretch fabric that is durable and provides comfort for the rider. Also features a detachable inner liner that has a Pro Form Men?s chamois, which provides even more comfort for the rider. An adjustable waistband allo

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fox brand
Pockets

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I didn't pay full price and waited for put of season sales. I did have issues with sizing and the shorts will fray a bit more than I'd like. I trim it off and they've been fine. I wear them a lot and they are super comfortable on and off the bike. I just wish they were cheaper and a bit better quality.

Submitted by moronm

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    Look, Fit

Weaknesses:    A little expensive

Bottom Line:
Just a quick update for those looking at these shorts, I just bought a pair a few days ago. I have only ridden with them once, so I cannot attest to long term comfort ot functionality.

However, there have been a few changes for 2013 it looks like. The pair I have has belt loops now, and the fit between the padded short and outer baggy seems to be consistent.

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    Chamois, style, pockets, material.

Weaknesses:    Terrible fit for outer shorts!

Bottom Line:
I was thrilled when I found these for $27 online. So thrilled, I bought two pair. The inner chamois shorts detach by cutting a little strip of fabric that connects them to the outter shorts. The chamois fit decently well, snug, but not tight. The outer short, however, is a little loose in the waist, but then very tight across the upper thigh and hip area. As you pedal, your thighs pull the fabric tight, and pull the shorts down exposing about 5 inches of butt crack. When you try to move around your bike, you find the shorts getting caught on the bike seat. They are very uncomfortable for this reason. I will continue using the inner chamois, but will likely avoid using the outer shorts for rides. They may be ok for hanging out around the house, or maybe for hiking (I will test them out) but I've switched back to my board shorts I was trying to replace when I bought these. Even though I got a great price, it doesn't help me if I can't ride in them. At least the diaper shorts will work.

Bottom line: make sure you try these on before buying and simulate a riding position to see if they will work for you.

Favorite Trail:   mountainbikeeagle.com

Duration Product Used:   10+ Rides

Purchased At:   mikesbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Old diaper shorts with board shorts on top.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy

Submitted by Bike Mike

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    These shorts have a great outer material, breathable and seems like it will hold up well to the scrapes and abuse of mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    Fit / Available Sizes
No belt loops, poor tightening system

Bottom Line:
My waist measures just under 33" so I ordered both the 32 & 34. The 32 fit my waist but not my thighs and felt like I would rip them getting on my bike. The 34s were too large, I don't trust the small velcro straps to hold these on... They're going back and I'll keep looking. I'm 5' 6", ordered the 10" inseam and it was good, stopped right at the top of my knee and would not interfere with pedaling

FOX - These shorts could be a real winner - please add belt loops!!!

Submitted by Corbinworks

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Fit nice on me, lots of storage, clean looking..

Weaknesses:    Fade fast, stitching is coming undone, price

Bottom Line:
They were really nice for the first 2 rides..after that they started to fray and fade..I only wash in cold and never dry..they should have lasted for $100

Submitted by pascale27 a Cross Country Rider from South Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight, baggy but not too big, good chamois, adjustable waist velcro tabs

Weaknesses:    inner shorts a little big in waist but chamois stayed in place

Bottom Line:
great short with clean styling. Fit is baggy but not too much. I got the Ranger 10 which on me is just below the knee, if you're tall you might want the Ranger 12 (as in 12" inseam). Craftsmanship is good, with good seams and stiching on pockets. Inner short is bit on the big side but the chamois stayed in place, padding held up on 2+ hr rides. Great value short, very pleased. I would buy another pair.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Rhythm Short

Submitted by Skeeter a Weekend Warrior from Frisco, Texas UA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Shorts are really nice lightweight material, they look good, nice zippers and snaps. The inter liner is junk. Chamois is real nice but the quality of the liner waist band and stitching fell apart on my shorts on the 1st trip.

Weaknesses:    Interior Liner short is poor quality and too big. I bought a size 40. I'm 5'11 / 240lbs. The interior liner was way too big for the shorts in the size I purchased. The liner sagged like I was carrying a big dump in my pants. In addition, the seams on the liner unraveled on the first outing. Foxhead.com was very little help on RMA process - basically send them back and YOUR expense and they decide if the problem is theres or yours...

Bottom Line:
the Short itself is fine. Just wouldn't pay full retail for them if I had a do-over. I gave it a 1 because of the chamois issue and Fox's Customer Experience process on the return.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlette Creek Reserve

Purchased At:   wwwfFoxhead.com

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Canyon short, LG brand - can't remember the model.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er, Fizik Aliante XM,

Submitted by beef supreme a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    I guess they look nice.

Weaknesses:    The way they fit.

Bottom Line:
These shorts are terrible. I have had other Fox shorts that were good enough to keep buying more. I tried these on walked around briefly and thought I was good to go. I was wrong. Once riding I knew I had made a bad choice. First off my crack was hanging out like the others who reviewed these shorts. Second, the liner seems to inhibit the natural movement of the legs when riding a bike. The waist is plenty big but the liner just seems too small. I don't know what it's like to ride in a leather mini skirt but I'm guessing it's similar to riding in these shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Cruz, Tahoe, Downiville/Graegle

Purchased At:   ABS

Similar Products Used:   Endura, Hoss, Azonic, Other Fox shorts

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by mcap a Downhiller from D-Town, PA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Good length, look decent, ok liner, can find fairly cheap

Weaknesses:    if they are too big you are hosed, no belt loops and the waist adjustment doesn't do much. Fixed chamois is low in the front, high likelyhood you will be showing the rider behind you a lil crack action

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid they do the trick and have held up so far. If they fit your waist you can pull the chamois up higher on your thigh so they can be pulled up higher to prevent plumber crack exposure

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride

Bike Setup:   Trek Session88 DH, Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by Berkley a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Not too expensive. Material holds up well. Zipper is nice for peeing during rides, but lacks the functionality of the drawstring on other Fox shorts.

Weaknesses:    I read a review on these them before I bought them, and it said they rode ass-crack low. I figured the reviewer was a heavier guy. Not the case. I'm 6' 155lbs and can't pull 'em up high enough. It's like the removable liner is a size smaller than the baggy outer.

The little fasteners holding the two together are useless, as they come apart and fall out when you wash them. They really serve no purpose.

The velcro waist straps are poorly designed too. If the rough velcro is exposed, it grabs my jersey and sticks to it. Annoying.

Bottom Line:
All in all, the removable inner is a nice thought, but poorly executed. The shorts are reasonably priced, but the design flaws outweigh everything else. Very much liked the old style Mid-ranger shorts better (with non-removable liner)

Similar Products Used:   Fox Mid-ranger

Submitted by fourarm a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Chamois is comfortable, even on long rides.

Weaknesses:    The back of the shorts just does not sit high enough on your back. It feels OK standing around but once you are on the bike leaning forward it is too low...muddy day - it's coming "in" if you don't keep pulling your jersey down. The velcro waistband adjusters are almost useless.

Bottom Line:
Will not buy from Fox again, need to try some Zoic's or Nema's or something else.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, '08 Fox Rangers

Bike Setup:   5.5 and Uzzi VPX

Submitted by dwsand3r a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Fox logo

Weaknesses:    Odd sizing! I purchased a pair of 34" shorts, fits great in the waist (I'm actually a 33" waist). The chamois though is way too tight! It feels like I'm squeezing into 30" chamois. Eventually this resulted in numbness down below. I have been satisfied with all my previous Fox shorts, so I didn't even try these on, big mistake!

Bottom Line:
The worst Fox shorts I've come across. The 08 Mid Rangers are far superior! Bring them back Fox! If you have very skinny legs compared to your waist, maybe these will be worth trying on. I'm thinking about cutting out the chamois and just using them as over-shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   08 Fox Mid Ranger, Hoss Stallion, A few pairs of Oakley shorts that I don't remember the name of.

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo, Intense Tracer

Submitted by cobbs117 a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2009

Strengths:    Hmm..

Weaknesses:    poor fit. poor design. No gussett in the crotch?! Seriously guys?

Bottom Line:
Not even worth the current sale prices of $40 or so I've seen online.
Miss the old '08 Mid-rangers.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer

Purchased At:   Black Diamond Bike

Two Trees On Ranger Creek (will clear sun 8/4)

Reported on the Sun top thread are two large trees "on ranger creek not clear if above or below shelter". I get it: he was doing his triple crown. We are planning to shuttle up to that place we/you/them shuttlers park at and roll down to the big sticks. If my buddy and I can catch a ride on a pick ... Read More »

Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear

Hi All, My brother and I co-developed and just released an iPhone app called [URL="http://roofrackranger.com/"]Roof Rack Ranger[/URL]. It is an advance warning app to prevent you from driving your bike, kayak, Rocket box, canoe, etc, into your garage. After driving one of my bikes into a car por ... Read More »

Sandia Ranger District Lifting all Fire Restrictions 8am July 16th (tomorrow)!

Just watch out and don't do the classic ride on muddy trail. It's no good for the trail and it's not much fun dragging a 70lb bike back to the car. Have fun!Read More »

Ride Ranger Creek Area on Saturday?

I've been living in seattle for a year now but have yet to make it to the 410 area. Looking to change that this saturday. Anyone have any suggestions for fun, ~20ish mile loops with ranger creek and have a trail map showing the route? Or better yet, anyone interested in riding there on saturday?Read More »

equivalent of ranger summit-strange brew?

Hi, I'm a beginner biker. Before the flood hit I rode ranger summit to strange brew in bragg creek and really enjoyed it. Could someone recommend a similar ride in a location that wasn't hit by floods (banff?) I'm looking for something where you'll get a good workout going uphill, followed by a do ... Read More »