Fox Racing Ranger 12 Shorts

Think durability, versatility, and ease! The Ranger short has a simple yet functional designThat is comfortable and stylish so you stay happy and ride hard. Detachable inner liner featuring Pro-form M chamoisTwo side cargo pockets andTwo hand pocketsSide waist adjustersShell material: 100% NylonLiner: 100% Spandex

Submitted by Pynis McDermott a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Strengths:    What I like about these shorts: Best impression, the textured material of these shorts was really grippy, adding to satisfaction in the saddle. The material is top notch, durable, light, and repels moisture. The fit is really nice, even though these shorts have a snap closure with a zipper, I feel they have the right size fit for riding. The length was just right, inseam rises just above the knee while riding and rests mid knee while walking around. These are comfortable to spend good riding time in. This is one of the best Fox chamois liners I've used. The green color was sweet. The hand pockets were perfect for an Ipod while riding, and I never noticed it was there or moving around.

Weaknesses:    What I did not like about these shorts: Although the chamois liner is detachable, you need to cut it, which is different than the microscopic button that previous detachable fox shorts have come with. Either way, previous design or present, once detached, they are detached from the short. Personally, I do not think this is a big deal. The cargo pockets, I doubt many riders use them, I know I never have, maybe they can go away.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2012 Fox Ranger shorts online from Huck n Roll. I originally tried them on when I was making a purchase at Poison Spider, and I decided on the Zoic Sovereign's (see my other review), even though in my mind I thought the Fox shorts fit better. I purchased these online in a size 36. Full disclosure, I have bought Fox Ranger shorts in the past (one pair in 2007, and another in 2008), so I am familiar with the short. But honestly, I turned my back on the Rangers for a few years when they had the integrated chamois liner that felt more like a girdle or a pair of Spanx than a comfortable liner. Also, Ranger shorts in the past (ie: the two I owned) had questionable chamois material that did not wick any moisture and would leave you feeling like you had a soaked diaper after only a few hours in the saddle. But, I liked what I saw in this years model, so I bought them.

Who are these shorts designed for: The Fox Ranger shorts have always been what I consider the "benchmark" for mountain biking XC baggy shorts. This year, the bar was raised with better chamois, better design than years past, and quality materials. I will definitely make this one of my go to shorts. I have previously spent more on shorts thinking you get what you pay for, but for $70, I am very satisfied with the purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada