Fox Racing Base Shorts

2.13/5 (15 Reviews)

100% nylon shell. Polyester/Spandex mesh liner. Seamless chamois. Two side and one back pocket. Elastic leg gripper. Embroidery logos.
Navy, Khaki and Black

Submitted by lew242 a Downhiller from UK and China

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Better than wearing nothing

Weaknesses:    Material too hot, not comfortable, back pocket?

Bottom Line:
Rubbish material, back pocket will get caught on your saddle nose, causing you to stack. I doubt the designer of these can ride.

I just wear DH shorts for tough wear outer and Lycra under for enduro pedaling comfort. Much better than these useless shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Similar Products Used:   Lycra and DH shorts

Bike Setup:   AM

Submitted by strglide a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Nice fit and conservative styling

Weaknesses:    Chamois pad came apart after two washes. Waistband string difficult to pull tighter.
Made in Vietnam! Another corporate sellout to the commies.

Bottom Line:
These shorts fit nice and were cool on the hot days. But after two washes the chamois came apart. Very poor product construction in that area.

Similar Products Used:   Performance Bicycle Boulder Shorts. Cannondale baggies (8 years old) Trek Baggies (2 years old)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by Rob1975 a Weekend Warrior from Newbury Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Strengths:    Look nice enough, price seemed reasonable.

Weaknesses:    Pading was terrible, quality was poor all around and the chamois were destoryed after a few washes.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these shorts, it is a total waste of money. They completly suck. I suggest paying a few extra bucks for the Fox Mid-ranger short. The inner padding is much, much better and the shorts themselves are of a much better quality.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Mid Ranger

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 2

Submitted by JeffSK a Cross Country Rider from Blue Mountains, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    Look good for the price paid.

Weaknesses:    Size is too small, has absolutely no padding left after the first wash.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these shorts, don't waste your money. Definitely need to spend a lot more money to get a decent pair of shorts.

Favorite Trail:   Narrow Neck

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 2007

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Gilbert AZ

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Chamois

Bottom Line:
Chamois bunched up on me after a wash. I initially blamed my wife until I read the other reviews. Now I need to buy her flowers and take her out to dinner.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Purchased At:   Adventure Bicycles -Mesa

Similar Products Used:   Lycra

Submitted by Daniel Rosso a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Look good, exterior materiel wears well and cleans up nicely

Weaknesses:    Pad bunches up making the shorts un-wearable unless you're into pain.

Bottom Line:
Unless you are into pain or have money to burn these shorts are not worth the money you pay for the Fox name. These were never dried in a dryer and washed on a regular cycle but the pads on both pair's I owned bunched up and now I can't wear them

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar- Nema

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis with a Terry Ti-Fly seat

Submitted by Tim V a Weekend Warrior from Tampa Florida

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight and look good. It is hot as hell in Florida and the humidity will kill you riding cross country. These shorts breath well and are light weight which is huge here.

Weaknesses:    The sizes are off. I wear a 34 in every pair of shorts I've ever owned. I bought these in a 36 to wear pads underneath them and they are about a 1/2 size too small. If you like your shorts tight, buy these one size too big. If you like them loose better go with 2 sizes too big.

Bottom Line:
I was concerned about the reviews here, but over all they are good. The pad is a little big, but you get used to it and it is not uncomfortable to ride. I think I was probably expecting a little better quality from Fox, but am satisfied on the whole. I think you can find better shorts though for $45.

Favorite Trail:   Santos, T.O.E., Alafia

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of different mountain bike shorts

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign, fox float front end, float 4 rear suspension. Do a lot of drops and jumps.

Submitted by dirtdigler a Downhiller from sydney Aust.

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    looks

Weaknesses:    material is very light and weak first ride brand new the material next to the seam split from cheek to cheek leaving me exposed for the rest of the ride .
Have returned them and fox will replace them but thet are going back on the shelf for a credit . Pading bulky and un comfortable fit does not seem right they hang low and are very strange to walk in feel like you are wearing a full adult diaper

Bottom Line:
not very strong caught on my seat as i was going downhill within 30seconds of first ride :throw away

Favorite Trail:   anything dirty

Purchased At:   73

Similar Products Used:   azonic

Submitted by Fat Stevie a Weekend Warrior from Humboldt, CA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    price, but can't say much other than that

Weaknesses:    do not fit true to size!

Bottom Line:
Bought these online because the price seemed right. They arrived in the mail today, but I couldn't even pull them over my clyde sized thighs. If you are a Clyde stay away. They'll be returned tomorrow.

Purchased At:   wheelworld.com

Bike Setup:   06 Kona King Kikapu, Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, Fox RP3, Maxxis Ignitors

Submitted by Glenn Poirier a Cross Country Rider from Fontana, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    They look good, inexpensive (comparatively). Dry fast. Light.

Weaknesses:    The '05 shorts had a nice inner liner and chamois. But the '06 liner and chamois sucks. Big time. I had bought the '05 and loved them. So, I got the '06 and immediately noticed the difference. The liner in the '05 was a lycra/spandex material. Stretch and well made. The '06 models have a more cotton-like liner. The chamois came unstitched on both pairs I bought. The pad bunched up and was terrible. This was after only a few times wearing them and maybe a month or so. I hand washed both pairs and hung them dry so I have no idea how this could happen unless they were very poorly made. I would not recommend these shorts. (I like the Hoss Ponderosa, though.)

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these. You'll have to waste gas money to return them to the store.

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Peak/Josephine - San Gabriels

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Hoss Ponderosa. '05 base shorts

Bike Setup:   Er... does this matter in a short review?

Submitted by Bryan MacDonald a Weekend Warrior from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Nice styling for cheap shorts.

Weaknesses:    Horrible pad.

Bottom Line:
The pad on these shorts is a deal breaker. It is thin, 1 piece and not very ergonomic. Bunches up funny when in the saddle. Taking them back in hopes the High Frequency model's nicer 4-piece pad is decent. These shorts look nice, but the inside liner/pad is total crap. Don't buy them--look on ebay for some nicer shorts for similar price, if the price is driving point.

Purchased At:   Follett's Mountain Sports

Similar Products Used:   Lots of mostly lycra shorts (Sugio, Descente, Castelli, Bellweather).

Submitted by ANDREW a Weekend Warrior from BATON ROUGE, LA. USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    understated simplicity, durability

Weaknesses:    huge groin pad

Bottom Line:
Thes are the khaki 2005 base short. No frills. Very simple. The pad is huge. Nearly covers my entire rear. Kinda cheaply made when compared with other shorts in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   COMITE RIVER AND HOOPER

Similar Products Used:   bellwether

Submitted by danny recendez a Cross Country Rider from porterville, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good looks, gr8 construction.

Weaknesses:    chamois could be nicer, not as good as my trek shorts. Elastic seat?

Bottom Line:
Good shorts, low key enough for me to like them. I don't like clothing that could make me visible to ships 20 miles out at sea. Good styling. Buy em.

Purchased At:   Schortmans Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   trek mtb shorts w/ 3 piece chamois NICE

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 1.0 stock except for egg beaters.

Submitted by Cameron a Weekend Warrior from AL

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    comfort, style, and fit...what else is there

Weaknesses:    a tiny bit too long for me, but i have short legs

Bottom Line:
i have a totally different opinion of these shorts than the other reviewer. i almost wonder if he has the same model. i don't have any reflective piping...just solid black except for the small fox logo on the lower left leg. the chamois is super comfortable, without feeling bulky like i thought it might. the shorts stay up, don't hang on the seat, but aren't so tight as to look like a roadie. the liner fits well, grips just right, and the pockets are where i want them. unlike the other reviewer's shorts, mine don't have excessive velcro, each pocket has a piece about the size of a nicle, and the velcro threads are standard size. there is a tab on the back pocket to open with, and it works fine just grabbing and pulling. the front pockets are exactly on the seams (i.e. on the dead center of the sides, not at all towards the front). the pockets are straight, not slanted, so i wouldn't worry about losing anything from them...even if they didn't have the velcro. overall i think these are great shorts, worth the $55 i paid. try them on before you buy them (but that goes for everything, doesn't it?) they also come in all sizes, at least Small, Medium, Large, XL, and XXL (my LBS had all of these in stock). highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   monte sano

Purchased At:   Bicycles, Etc.

Bike Setup:   does it matter for shorts?

Submitted by Josef a Racer from Milpitas

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable padding

Weaknesses:    Way too sticky velcro for pockets.Feels like plumber's crack is creeping up.

Bottom Line:
I can't tell from the foto above if this is the same short though the logo looks the same.Is that the front or back?
These black shorts have a reflective piping on both sides with the Fox logo on the left leg.
Well...someone at Fox got a little Velcro happy.The velcro for the pockets are a little too sticky.It was annoying digging for my wallet or change as I had to really pull the velcro away.I trimmed the sticky stuff with scizzors and now it's not a problem.
These shorts feel kinda small for an extra large.My legs are muscular,big calves and big quads.If I don't tie these down right,they feel like they'll slip and expose some crack.I spend too much time adjusting instead of riding.Side pockets are too close to the center instead of being more to the sides.Feels uncomfortable when you just want to put your hands in your pockets and whistle while you walk.
Once these things get worn,they feel better and the padding is comfortable.One of my bikes have a stripped Sella Flite Ti saddle.That is,the leather cover and padding was removed leaving only the plastic shell and Ti rails.(they tear anyways,shaves weight and looks cool too)The chamois padding really feels comfortable with the seat.The tights grip well.Maybe I should pull these out of the outer shell but I can't.
Sorry Fox.I really like your stuff but these shorts were a bad choice for my first baggy shorts.Maybe there should be an XXL or a suggestion to buy a size bigger then usual.

Purchased At:   Reed's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   None.First baggy shorts for me.

Bike Setup:   Very fast.

MTB Mecca -- base camp for sale!

Susanville, CA, recently built 27 miles of mountainous switchbacked feature-rich singletrack called Susanville Ranch Park. It could soon be a total MTB destination. I don't know why it isn't already. It's gorgeous! [url=http://www.susanvilleranchpark.com]Home[/url] We're selling my uncle's house ... Read More »

DB Inline Base tunes?

Since DB inline is a option when buying a new frame, does anybody have any base tunes charts for the frames. I have one on order for my Endorphin but there are no base tunes for the frame on cane creek website.Read More »

Where can I purchase a new Fox base valve?

I rang my base valve off. Fox wouldn't sell it directly to me since I am not a lbs. My closest lbs is an hour away. I'm trying to save myself a 120 mile round trip. Thanks in advance.Read More »

upgraded 5010 or base 5010c?

I have a friend who is looking to buy the 5010. He's considering upgrading to the $4000 price range. It would include the Arch EX wheelset, XT group, 2x10, a reverb stealth seatpost and the 32 float FIT CTD 140 fork. I'm thinking he might be better off going with the R AM build on the carbon frame f ... Read More »

Trip Help Request from the Local Knowledge Base

We are a group of 4 to 6 guys looking for a getaway in late July. I've done my internet scouring but can't seem to find the exact spot that we're looking for. We have mainly mountain bikers, and one fisherman. We're looking for a small mountain town in which to set up home base. We'd like to be able ... Read More »