Endura Hummvee Lite 3/4 Shorts

Causal enough for off-the-bike style, yet highly technical for on-trail performance, the Endura Hummvee Lite 3/4 Short keeps your legs spinning freely while blending in at the local coffee shop.

Submitted by TJXC a Cross Country Rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    Highly technical construction with many pockets and good zippers/closures. I believe made in the UK. Durable materials, construction.

Weaknesses:    Very basic six panel liner short is awkward to snap in. Fabric seems to be a lint magnet. Runs a bit small, or snug, depending on how you see it.

Bottom Line:
I've used these shorts for a season off & on pretty happily. They've held up great. On hot days, they are not nearly as cool as road shorts, and if you are used to 8-10-12 panel Italian shorts, the liner short in the Endura Humvees is pretty basic and not as comfortable or well-constructed. It works fine, though. The chamois feels diaper-y standing around, but is good on the bike. I put the liner short on first then pull up the baggies, doing it this way snapping in the liner is tricky because of the reach-around. I find it harder to snap the liner in first then put it all on at once because the whole thing drags and it puts a lot of stress on the liner short seams. Neither is a good way for me.

Lots and lots of clever pockets, and though the locations don't seem exactly intuitive to me, they don't interfere with riding at all (great!). Certainly plenty of them.

The length on me is not 3/4, they come just below my knees, but I have a 36" inseam. As the only baggies I've ever owned I am pretty happy with them, but would be willing to try something else if it came along, and can't consider myself a convert away from Italian road shorts.

Purchased At:   Erik's

Similar Products Used:   Italian road shorts (non-baggy)

Bike Setup:   HT & FS 29ers

Submitted by Big Jim Mac a Weekend Warrior from Taos, Missouri USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    Fit, fabric toughness, plentiful pockets

Weaknesses:    chamois -- stitching will come out!

Bottom Line:
Must say right off my shorts are not the 3/4 length but the ones that come just above the knee -- couldn't find a way to add that to this site. Love these shorts for the way they feel. Not too baggy but not skin tight like road bike shorts. The removable liner seems like a good idea for later wear although I doubt I will do that unless I bike camp. I have several pairs of shorts and these are my favorites. My only complaint, and I see this in reviews done by Singletrack, is the chamois stitching came loose on mine after about three washes. The thread seems to be real tiny and the stitches are too far apart. They do seem to fit a bit snug, you might want to size up one size.

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluff

Purchased At:   Outdoor Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Fox Mid-Ranger

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by J T a Weekend Warrior from Seirra Vista, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    durability, looks

Weaknesses:    toasty above 80 degrees, snug in the thighs while seated but if you have MTB legs this goes with everything. Too many pockets! Hard to find.

Bottom Line:
After the first ride with these I was sold! The liner is great, the shorts themselves are well built and tough. Took a tumble on the third ride with them and the only scraps I got were below the pant line. I think my other shorts wouldn't have held up with the power slide I did. The pockets are many which could be good or bad but are overkill for me. I will be using these as my primary ride short until it gets too hot.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island