Endura Hummvee 3/4 Men's Shorts

This water-resistant mountain bike apparel does everything right. A Teflon treatment readies these shorts/knickers for anything the trail or sky throws your way.

Submitted by SlowJoeCrow

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good fit, sturdy material, zippered side pockets, excellent liner system, 3/4 length adds some knee protection

Weaknesses:    look funny when commuting, can be too warm in hot weather. back pockets snag stuff.

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of these for commuting and cool weather riding after I could not find any long pants that fit my 22" thighs. They are made from a fairy heavy nylon ripstop that gives good protection from weather and brush, and probably form low speed crashes. There are zippered vents on the side seams and mesh behind the knees for cooling but for really hot weather, buy the Hummvee light version. The same applies to rain, while these pants handle a bit of drizzle, for actual we weather Endura makes shorts and 3/4s with coated nylon panels.
The pocket layout is a mixed bag. The zippered side pockets hold a lot and are very secure even unzipped. The zipped cargo pocket on the right leg is also solid but a little tight for newer 4.7" smart phones. The little flapped pocket on the front of the left leg is abit odd but it holds my garage door opener when commuting and may be a gel pack or something. The back pockets look like old Royal Robbins climbing shorts and can hold a lot of stuff but tend to stick out and snag door knobs. I really like Endura's Clickfast liner system. They attach with 4 sets of snaps on the waistband which integrate much better than the fabric loops Zoic uses, and the padding has been comfortable on long rides. For commuting I leave out the liner.
Overall there are more things I like than dislike so I'll probably look at Endura's shorts when my Zoic Ether shorts wear out.