Core Rat Battle Shorts Shorts

4.74/5 (99 Reviews)

• 500 Denier Nylon Cordura lined overshort
  • Durable poly mesh ventillated sides
  • Black with choice of red, green,blue, yellow, or black side stripe
  • "No seams where it counts" boxer cut crotch
  • Deep front pockets,single rear pocket with velcro closure
  • Elastisized waist for comfort Compatible with Core Rat Hip Pads
  • Sizes available: S-M-L-XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely tough.

Weaknesses:    hot, heavy

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 3/4 length. I use them when working the the brambles in my back yard - they just bounce off. Crashed on these shorts without leaving a mark.

Purchased At:   direct from Angie

Similar Products Used:   lots

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Fernie, B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    Weird fit, limited breathability, feels like you are wearing cardboard

Bottom Line:
    Had to post after seeing that these won MTBRs "Best of" Award again. These are sort of okay shorts, not even close to great ones, I don't even know if they are still around but I have to say in my somewhat excessive collection of shorts these are at the bottom of the pile. They are very sweaty, the mesh on the sides gets caught and rips relatively easily, they fit way to restrictively in the crotch area (granted being that they are hand made there can be errors, but I tried another set made later than mine and they were the same) and the noise they make while riding, it's worse than those cheap Czech corduroy pants my mom used to buy for me when I was 8. There are sooo many shorts better than these, they aren't bad enough to get 1 chili - the durability and quality of stitching should count for something I guess. If you miss Eastern Bloc Communism and want something that lacks technology and style and is solely utilitarian buy these.

Purchased At:   Georges Cycle Edmonton

Similar Products Used:   Azonic, Fox, Oakley in DH shorts, Sugoi, Fox, Oakley, LouisGarneau, Zoic in Trail baggies

Submitted by Steve Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Steamboat Springs, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Quality of construction, materials used, and design.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    My second set of Battle Shorts from Angie - this time I told her that the Large were slightly too big and the Medium would be too small, so she suggested a novel idea - she would make them custom for me.

They arrived and I wore them for the first time last Sunday in Fruita - perfect fit.

I cannot say enough good things about this product and Angie's personalized service.

Another way of looking at these shorts is you get what you pay for - most shorts of this type sell in the $70 range but they don't compare in terms of durability and quality, plus who knows who the President/Owner of Fox, RockGardn, Six-Six-One is? And can you talk to them about their products?

Favorite Trail:   Every single one of them

Purchased At:   Core Rat

Bike Setup:   2005 Turner 5 Spot, RS 140 Pike Coil, PUSH'ed Fox DHX5.0 Coil, XTR/XT components, Saint Hubs laced to Mavic 819's, Maxxis 2.5 HR DH rubber, XT 203 rotors and XT calipers, Goodridge brake lines and pads, FSA DH Carbon bars, Gravity Dropper Turbo seatpost, WTB Lazer V Team DH saddle, Crank Brothers Mallet pedals, King Headset, FSA Mega Exo Carbon crankset.

Submitted by Steve Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Steamboat Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Quality of stitching, thoughtfulness of design (Angie must ride a bike!), utility - pockets, nice fit, and those valuable hip pads.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see yet.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first pair of baggies after being a die hard lycra wearer for 30 years. I researched quite a bit before buying - there seemed to be no choice but to buy these because there were so many satisfied users.

I have avoided baggies for many years as I was afraid of getting hung up on the seat if I had to slide backwards for a drop - not a problem here - they move easily without snagging.

Just got back from Moab and two days of riding on Poison Spider and Porcupine Rim. I hit the ground a few times attempting some up and over moves on rock - the hip pads are well worth the extra $15 to get them with your shorts.

Outstanding product. Angie is also great to communicate with by email and phone - imagine that - she answers her own phone!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   CoreRat.com

Similar Products Used:   Only have worn lycra for 30 years.

Bike Setup:   2005 Turner 5 Spot with '07 Talas 140, RP23, XT and XTR component mix, Mavic 819 Rims, Thomson seatpost & stem, FSA DH riser bars, etc.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Everything!! best I have ever owned

Weaknesses:    None after over 3 years use

Bottom Line:
    Angie is great....Love her stuff...once you try it you'll never switch...just ordered more stuff..can't wait!!!!!
    Thanks ANGIE!

Purchased At:   Angie direct

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, raceface

Submitted by Clark from Squamish, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    tuff material, impeccable sewing and finish, good fit.

Bottom Line:
    New West Coast design, full length shorts. Fit much tighter than older battle shorts, but cut perfectly for riding position with no extra bagginess. not so tight that you look like a dork though. real comfy. solid construction and finish, as always. i know these will last years and are worth the $$. plus all materials sourced from north america and hand-made in canada 100% by owner, who's a better rider than you are. buy some!

Purchased At:   direct from angie

Similar Products Used:   Core Rat DH pants (3 years old and still like new)

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Boston, Mass USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    The material seems tuff.

Weaknesses:    I hate the fit. The leg oppenings are very big. I found that out the first time I was going down something really steep. I got back behind the seat to go down, and could not get back up on my seat because it was caught up in the leg oppening. I have to crank the belt tighter than I would prefer to keep them up aroung my waist. I bought em because of the reviews on this board. I used em twice and threw em in my gear bag. I keep meaning to put em out on Ebay. Maybe its just me, but I dont like the look or the fit or the leg opening.

Bottom Line:
    Un-useable for me. Like the other poster said......I tend to wonder if all these great reviews are friends of this Angie person.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   core rat

Similar Products Used:   fox, azonic

Bike Setup:   Turner Six Pack

Submitted by mike a Downhiller from ephrata, wa.

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    unbelievalbly glowing reviews on mtbr!

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
    this is a final review. i would just send these things back but why waste the time? How can the reviews for these shorts be soo perfect? both pairs that i bought are complete garbage! the stitching has come apart all over the place. the"hook and loop" doesn't velcro any more. the straps that link the tri-glides don't stay. my roach shorts after 5 years finally needed some attention so i bought the core rats. I bought them cause of the reviews. and when i had problems with them right away angie blew me off and basicly told me the warranty she gives is only for stuff thats never been worn.
    one thing tho- it looks like shes got lots of friends that like to write mtbr reviews

Purchased At:   from core rat

Similar Products Used:   bellweather-roach-performance-zoic-levis

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    the best pair of shorts I have even owned - through two years of solid abuse, no rips, tears, or wearing through. the more you wash them, the softer and more comfy they get. I updated this summer to the full-length shorts (originals were the shorter legs) and love them. they come down to my knee pads, and protect the thighs from branches and scrapes with passing trees and sticks. great quality. the side vents work great, and for the amount of coverage, these are pretty cool when wearing them. I wear a pair of light chamois stretch shorts under these and have comfort and protection. lots of pockets, adjustable waist with secure clips, and a cut that does not chafe, get in the way, or hook on the seat back on the steeps

got the first pair as a gift and went back for more.

Weaknesses:    none - maybe if you are looking for something to pick on, they can be a bit warm on real hot days - but I understand Angie has come out with some lighter ones - so if you want something cooler, go for those

Bottom Line:
    where to start? value , quality, durability, personal service, lots of color choices - all beyond any I have had. a pair of shorts you will have to go ballistic on to destroy. made by a small business with GREAT customer service, and unlike any other product on the market. I have the original pair and now the longer ones as well. washed them skidded on them, and smacked them off all sorts of objects – and they still look great.

when you add in the made in north america (Canada eh) and the fact there are no sweat shops or overseas materials involved, this is a pretty solid purchase that makes sense on any front. the worst part of my experience with these shorts is I will probably end up buying the lighter versions as well – for a fleet of three! the corerat products rock

buy them and get riding!

Favorite Trail:   something long and technical

Purchased At:   on-line from www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   tried a bunch of different shorts, and tore, ripped, was left hanging out of, or otherwise ate them up

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 1 freeride

Submitted by Bawitdaba a Downhiller from Pine Plains

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2005

Strengths:    Hard core gear for hard core riders...
    They run a little big which makes them quite roomy and comfy, but not sloppy. At Angies recomendation I got the extra long (I'm 6'-2", 36" inseam) and I'm glad I did. The shorts cover my knees and they don't hang up on the tops of my leg armor. Very well built, tough, heavy and protective. If you should have the misfortune of going down or doing any butt surfing (which I'm really good at)you don't have to worry about these shorts ripping and/or burning through, allowing the shale and stuff into your flesh.

Weaknesses:    Not to many color selections.

Bottom Line:
    I use these as an outer short over my bike shorts and I'm quite happy with the performance. These shorts would be best for folks who ride hard or extreme and may be exposed to going down hard or on sharp stuff. Keep in mind that they are primarily a protective gear.
    Another bonus-keep in mind that her site prices are in Canadian Bux. I'm looking forward to Angie's new line coming out because I will get some more stuff for next year.
    Remember, Angie is an acomplished rider herself, so she has a real good feel for what we need and what works.

FIVE WELL DESERVED FLAMIN TURDS...

Favorite Trail:   Anything on Whiteface

Purchased At:   right from Angie

Similar Products Used:   Different bike and cargo shorts...

Bike Setup:   Time for the end of the season new bike for next year...

Submitted by rick williams a Downhiller from BC

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, comfortable, well padded

Weaknesses:    AMedium size is a little large for a 34 inch waist

Bottom Line:
    Excellent product, on my 3rd pair. I like to have an extra pair and my first pair has been well used.

Favorite Trail:   Seventh Secret

Purchased At:   Squamish

Similar Products Used:   Roach

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky Delux

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Burly material and construction. Look good. Big pockets. Withstands gnarly crashes. Comfy offset belt cinchers. They fit well.

Weaknesses:    None when used as intended.

Bottom Line:
    These aren't for XC. The cut doesn't lend itself to prolonged seated climbing. But that's okay because they're for FR/DH use, and they rock the casbah. They're some burly sonafabeatches. Buy em.

Purchased At:   Angie @ Core Rat

Similar Products Used:   Other overshorts with less room for pads.

Submitted by mike a Downhiller from ephrata,wa. usa

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Strengths:    some good materials

Weaknesses:    -inseam stitching came loose after 2 washings. ambiguous warranty.

Bottom Line:
    the problem with these shorts are with the way the warranty is written. I bought 2 pair.The regular battle fit fine and I like them ok, but the inseam came apart. No big deal. The other pair were the cargo shorts. And they fit real bad. I wore them on one ride thinking maybe I could do some adjusting or something to make them fit better. No luck.
    Washed them up an sent them back. This is the warranty return info-We warranty our products provided they have not been worn
    outdoors more than once, are returned in clean condition,
    and are returned within 30 days of purchase. Products may
    be exchanged or returned for refund, no questions asked, if
    the item is in new condition and has not been worn outside."
    Does this warranty mean they only warranty thier stuff if you only wear it one time or what. I give up.

Purchased At:   corerat

Similar Products Used:   roach-fox

Bike Setup:   02 stinky primo(now with the popular cracked frame), rohloff hub, avalanche dhf ti, misc. atom lab azonic

Submitted by Andrew M from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    After two years they look brand new.

Weaknesses:    A little hot in the middle of august when compared to the bathing suits other companies are marketing as freeride shorts.

Bottom Line:
    I spent two years riding the same pair of long battle shorts on every ride. Despite repeated washings, more then a few crashes, and general neglect they looked brand new. I have to use past tense here because a couple weeks ago I lost them somewhere between the trail and the pub. If I hadn't, I'm pretty sure they would have outlived me.

Long story short, I e-mailed Angie and ordered two pairs to replace the ones I lost. One pair of long shorts with cargo pockets, and one pair of regular length battle shorts.

At this point all I can say about the new shorts is they look sweet and they fit awesome, but if they are anything like my last pair they'll be the last shorts I buy (again).

P.S. I've found the best thing to wear under Angie's shorts is a basic chamois/liner rather then a pair of full on lycra shorts. You'll get way less sack-sweat and I've found the combo to be as comfortable as a lot of other shorts on the market while offering way more protection.

ARM