Home | Reviews | Shorts | Black

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

Black Bottom Shorts

Submitted by sbirdasn a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Heavy grade of spandex, much better than any other brand I see in LBS.

Weaknesses:    Literally start falling apart after as little as ten wear/wash cycles. Got at most six weeks before sewing began to disintegrate. "Iron On" logo just disintegrates after a few weeks or months of use. Waste of materials. If they want a logo, sew it in thread. Don't bother otherwise.

Bottom Line:
I ride daily 27 mi/day from spring to fall, canyon trails, Death Ride, etc., so quality is paramount. Had 3 pair from old days- best shorts made. Period. Fast forward to 2007... Bought 8 panel Milcreek shorts w/leg gripper. Chamois stitching starts to fail after 10 rides! Exchanged for pair of Emmigration 6-panel shorts w/o leg gripper (yay). Same failure after three weeks! Got refund and waited two years (I'm desperate now), ordered another pair of Milcreek shorts. Chamois stitching starts disintegrating after about 6 weeks. Some improvement. No abuse, always hand washed. The old ones lasted so long the spandex lost its stretch. Now, dog poo. The Black Bottoms of yesterday are gone, RIP. Darn shame, they USED to be the best cycle wear value for the money. Don't deserve the first Chili.

Favorite Trail:   Little Cottonwood Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   BikeMania.biz/mfgr

Similar Products Used:   Black Bottoms from more than twelve years ago, best ever made.

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 6700 Disc - Avid BB cbl; SRAM PG980/Shim LX Der, stock Bontrager crank, WickWerks rings, XT Der., PC991, ATAC Carbons; WTB Weirwolf 2.1 tires, serfas ICS Gel saddle, Sidi D. 4 shoes. Prob. $2K+ (w/ upgrades) ride now.

Submitted by Kane a Cross Country Rider from S.F., CA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Great Fabric that is both durable and comfortable. The chamois is as good or better than the Pearl Sensor version. The Six Panel Deluxe does not have the annoying elastic strip that constricts my not so massive thights.

Bottom Line:
Why not the best at a great price!

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Bicycle Odessy, Sausilito, ca

Similar Products Used:   Pearl, etc.

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner that is faster than me!!

Submitted by Steve M a Cross Country Rider from West Bloomfield, MI

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    This is a great comfortable short for the money. I have washed and worn this pair uncountable times and they still look and feel new.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great pair of shorts. The best pair of the bunch.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Jewel, Nike, Hind

Submitted by Bill McLaughlin a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Great feel. The thin natural chamois is very comfortable. Most butt-friendly short I've worn ... and at a great price, too.

Weaknesses:    Natural chamois takes a longer to dry than my Pearls do. Harder to find than most brands (but worth it).

Bottom Line:
I'm a fast, fairly aggressive rider. Bought these for RAGBRAI after web research and recomendation from a riding buddy, where I used them on the optional 115 mile day, among others. They're extremely comfortable. I've done a couple of centuries with them since, as well as scores of club rides and route pre-rides, mostly 60 miles or more. Even for a couple of 'play' sessions at the velodrome They're the most ...

I'm wearing the 8-panel model. You may also like the six-panel model (what my buddy's wearing) because it has no 'gripper' elastic on the legs.

Buy 'em if you're looking for a short that can keep your butt happy on a long ride on a hot day. Pass if you just don't want to believe that a thin chamois pad could be more comfy than the thick pads found in many brands.

Purchased At:   Licktons / Lickbike

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Microsensor, Trek

Bike Setup:   Trek 820 (steel) modified, Terry saddle. Bianchi Eros, Brooks saddle.

Submitted by David Martin a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, durability

Bottom Line:
Well, I'm a roady, but I like your reviews (seem to be accurate). Anyway, I've had mine since 1974 -- yeah, that's right, almost 30 years, God knows how many miles/hours, with two pair of shorts. Comfy, good fitting, best quality product of ANY type (clothing, parts, you name it) I've ever found for the bike. They rock.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Roadie

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Madtown, WISCONSIN

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Durable product (pad and fabric), comfortable pad for long rides, lack of leg grippers!

Bottom Line:
The fit on these shorts is super because there are no constrictive leg grippers; even without the grippers they do not ride up because of the well-tailored fit. I've used a few pairs for two years and after frequent washings they continue to look and feel brand new. Price is more reasonable than the overpriced Pearl shorts.

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Pearl, REI, Bellwether, you name it

Bike Setup:   Road and Mtn.

Submitted by Debra a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
LOVE these shorts! Tried Pearl, Primal Wear, cheap stuff...pulled these off the rack at the bike shop, then ordered more off the internet! The 8-panels are durable, hold their shape (and mine!), don't ride up, don't have that awkward dip in the front like some more prominent brands, and are just plain comfortable! Padding is good, without making you feel like you're wearing a Depends, soft, and non-chafing. I've washed these over and over...still tough and sleek! Bought my boyfriend a pair plus a pair of bibs! He loves his, too! Can't beat them!

Submitted by Larry a Cross-Country Rider from Mesa, Arizona

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Strengths:
Comfort and durability

Weaknesses:
None!

Bottom Line:
Been wearing them two years (not straight) and they are really comfortable, pretty thick and very durable. Wear them on road and mtb rides. Kinda hard to find but a really good short for the money! In fact, the best I've tried.

2 Years

Sugoi

Submitted by John a racer from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

Love the shorts. Only problem, when I go on long rides (100 or more miles) my um...my Uh... unit? Dangledowns? gets sore to the point of bleeding! OUCH! Not the shorts fault, but when I race Leadville 100 or Vail 100 I have to wrap up in bandaids before the race or suffer! The seam hits at an unfortunate place. Nuff Said.

Submitted by Mike a cross-country rider from Tallahassee, FLA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

These are the BEST shorts I have ever had, as well as the most durable. In fact, one of my friends gave me these shorts after they were 2 years old. He had broken his Kona frame and slid his ass across the pavement with only minor scuffing to the shorts.These shorts kick ass. I have a pair of Geadarno (Spelling?) shorts and they just dont fit right, my wife also has a pair and has torn them up. From here on out its ONLY BLACK BOTTOMS!!!Every thing good, and nothing bad. The spandex has held up beyond norms of reality, the rubber stretchy parts are still stretchy, and the shamos crotch still has padding power. All this after almost 4 years!!!Ten Habinaro chilies!!!

Submitted by Joel a cross-country rider from America

Date Reviewed: February 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

When you absolutely, positively have to wear lycra, these are the ones. None of tha annoying as hell gripper elastic leg opening BS. My two sets have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of butt-sweaty miles on them and they are great. When it's too hot or for a SSSSHHHH!! road ride, these rock.

Submitted by Roger M a cross-country rider from Phoenix,AZ

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had my butt on these for the last five months and I love them. I use to buy cheap tights,figuring
that there really wasn't much difference other than price. Wrong-a-mundo! I'm still not too happy
about paying $65.00 for a pair of shorts that I wear only several hours a week, but my crotch is
alot happier. I plan on buying a couple more. The price hurts,but the butt does'nt. Four stars is
only because of the price.