Home | Reviews | Shorts | Assos

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Assos Half Short

Submitted by Rider Strider a Cross Country Rider from Rockville

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Strengths:    For the first few wears, these fit very well, comfortable, no chafing, good padding.

Weaknesses:    Man do these wear out quick, and when they do, watch out for really nasty rashes caused by the stiching on the seams. Unhappy hinder = unhappy rider.

Bottom Line:
These only work well for a few rides, then the seams cause unbearable rashes, even with copious amounts of assos chamois cream. Even before the stiching starts to come undone, the seams will rip a few layers of skin from some sensitive areas and leave you unable to ride for days. I really liked these at first, but I'm going back to the PearlZoomies.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi microsensor, Louis Gareau, others

Bike Setup:   Hard tail (well, now rashy hard tail)

Submitted by Kent a Weekend Warrior from a Weekend Warrior from Morris County NJ

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    Padding and cut
Comfort while in the saddle

Weaknesses:    Excessive price
Questionable seams

Bottom Line:
After 3+ years of using this product, I thought I'd add a follow-up review to my initial 1999 review.

I’ve gone through 4 pairs, averaging roughly one pair a season. The seams tend to be rather weak. Additionally the lycra wears quickly on my upper thighs. This may be due to my riding/usage style, as opposed to a product defect or weakness.

I believe the cost to be excessive, but until a better product hits the market offering better value, I stick with it.

Assos offers excellent comfort for riders spending a lot of time in the seat or those looking for extra comfort (unfortunately) at a price.

I wouldn’t recommend them for riding constricted trails and/or bushwhacking, as these shorts will quickly shred. I learned this lesson the expensive way.

Kent

Purchased At:   Retailer and mailorder

Similar Products Used:   Several brands prior to purchasing first pair of Assos in 1999. Since then, this what I use for most rides.

Bike Setup:   Several

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from Quincy, IL

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    padding

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
Agree with Dan 100% for long rides when you want a lot of padding this short is hard to beat. It looks funny at first because the padding is somewhat stiffer or bulkier than most but that goes away with riding have had these over a year and no stitching problems.

Similar Products Used:   all

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Strengths:    Chamois is fat, but fantastic...

Weaknesses:    Stitching is absolutely shoddy.

Bottom Line:
I recieved these as a birthday present from my girlfriend, usually I ride Blackbottoms. I was a little skeptical of the Depends-esque thickness of the chamois, but I was training for a 100-mile backcountry race, I thought, "What the hell..."

After nine hours in the Gambrill watershed, I had no chafing. None whatsoever. Absolutely amazing.

Then, in a glimpse of things to come, I noticed that the chamois was starting to come unstitched from the lycra. Uh oh.

The day of the race I spent 11.5 hours in the saddle, and again, after finishing, only the most minor chafing. Alas, the shorts made the ultimate sacrifice, as the chamois is now coming unstitched, the waistband is coming unraveled, and even the drawstring is unstitching. Two rides, $100. Not good.

Buy these if you're the scion of a wealthy middle eastern oil dynasty, are married to a professional seamstress, or have a rare medical condition in which your nether regions must be protected at all cost.

Purchased At:   Mail-order

Similar Products Used:   Blackbottom 8-panel; Pearl Izumi; Nashbar POS

Bike Setup:   Mt Tam w/ WTB Podium Saddle

Submitted by Dan Barbarito a Racer from Bellmawr, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, thoughtful design with top quality "sewmanship".

Weaknesses:    Price...a little too steep to own more than one pair

Bottom Line:
After repeated 60+ mile rides, the ASSOS Half-short is by far the most "butt friendly" short to date. When I am properly seated on the bike, the chamois creates a "cove", which surrounds my "boy's" instead of squashing them; crotch adjustment is not required. The chamois is plush but supportive and does not bind or chafe. Incidentally, I do use Chamois Creme...it helps alot'. I hear that the Castelli's are pretty good, but I have not tried them.
I save this shorts for my longer rides. Bottom line the $100.00 is a moot point if I can comfortably stay in the saddle longer.