Home | Reviews | Shoes | Vans

Vans Warner SPD Shoes

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Built like the race horse it is, the Vans Warner SDP Mountain Bike Shoe enjoys purebred status with classic styling that transcends fickle fashions. Compatible with two-hole-style cleats, the stiff-soled Warner can clip in for hole-shot winning sprints, or match up with platform pedals and send it unclipped thanks to a sticky gum-rubber tread.Stiff mid-foot area provides a solid pedaling platform without making the entire shoe feel clunkyVented ballistic nylon mesh for breathabilityRemovable hook-and-loop adjustable tension strapSelf-centering gored tongue keeps rocks ?n shit out of the shoeMolded EVA foam sock liner provides support and comfortTriple-stitched toe cap for extra durability

Submitted by Forrest Gimp a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Burly & comfy shoe that can go from the trails to the post ride pub. Easy in & out with the top velcro cinch strap. Stiff for riding & flexi enough to get around town on foot.

Weaknesses:    Seems to kick out of spd pedal alot easier than my previous pair even after tightening the spd pedal tension adjust.

Bottom Line:
The vans warner received some pretty crappy reviews upon it's first release. I took a chance on them anyway because they were online for a great price. The biggest complaint from the first release was the cleat position & the thin soles, where riders felt the cleat plate beneath them causing numbness. I was coming out of some very reliable but very beat up & abused pearl isumi select mtb shoes. Putting on the vans warner was very comfy & has a solid build. The cleat position was not an issue at all. Where i put my foot down with my pearl isumi shoes was no different than the warners. I spent many miles on single track with them & i experienced no numbness. I can only assume that after previous user complaints all issues were resolved in later shoe releases. This shoe is pretty quiet accept for walking across a black top parking lot. It has a nerve racking grating sound. On carpet, wood, linoleum very quiet. On smooth waxed grocery store type floors you may experience some ice skating maneuvers so be careful! So far this has been a great trail & post ride shoe!

Purchased At:   online clearance

Submitted by YetiSuperX a Racer from Aalborg, Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfotable, stiff sole, easy to get in and out of

Weaknesses:    The laces are very long which is a bit annoying

Bottom Line:
Superb shoes. The laces are a bit annoying due to the fact they are very long. Holds up nice even though I'm giving them a hard time. Very comfortable only tight fit were they need to be.
Beats Shimano DX by a little bit.

Purchased At:   chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX shoes, Sidi Dragon 2, Shimano XC shoes

Bike Setup:   Yeti Super X (BMX race)high-end race build. Matchet with CrankBrother Mallet 2 2012

Submitted by IJBCape a Cross Country Rider from MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Strengths:    This shoe is awesome. It's durable, looks fine, clips easy and protects the feet. I ride a mix of flats and SPDs, on all kinds of XC trails, some with rocky and off camber sections. I get pedal strikes and plow through a lot of rooty rocky stuff. No problems.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are the bomb.

Purchased At:   vans.com

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of skate shoes and also Sidi and Shimano shoes.

Bike Setup:   Blur XC Carbon XTR kit, Stan's wheels. Als Banshee Rune and an old XC hard tail

Vans Warner SPD's

Man I guess I missed the boat on this one. [URL="http://www.sicklines.com/2009/03/31/vans-warner-spd-bike-shoe/"]These[/URL] look really cool. I e-mailed Vans to see if they're going to make some more, but no reply yet. I really want a pair. Anybody running them?Read More »

Van's warner spd shoe- thoughts?

anybody used these yet? I was planning on buying some of the 661 filters to wear on my commute and these caught my attention... at least in my dreams they will not only fit that purpose well, but will also be capable of working with flats... (I'm sure they won't replace my 6.0 nikes, but I can ... Read More »