Specialized Sport MTB Shoes

4.46/5 (78 Reviews)
Weight : 345g

Dual injection-molded one-piece outsole. Lug assembly. Tough Velcro straps, Cordura. Suede upper and all-new graphics

Submitted by fred-da-trog

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap and fit well

Weaknesses:    The shoes didn't last a couple rides before outer covering started tearing and separating. Less than a year old now and unwearable.

Bottom Line:
I was hoping the brand name would reflect a good value for the dollar, didn't happen. These would probably last a long time if never used on mountain trails that required hike a biking.

Submitted by Horacek a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively light, fit really well. Contrary to below- good for walking up hills in.

Weaknesses:    I've owned four pairs of these for many years. The first pair lasted well over 3 yrs the rest all started seperating at the heal. I noticed the design changed subtly and if you look at a pair in the shop you can see a slightly gluey-gap line between the sole and the heal of the upper. This is the part that starts to fail.

Bottom Line:
After two failures within a year and specializing refusing to warranty the product (2yr warranty) I wont touch Specialized products again.

Do they realise that some of their customers might actually use their footwear actually in mountain-type environments?

Maybe they should call them 'trail centre' shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Any Peaks

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX - just bought.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro/Marzocchi 55 forks.

Submitted by 83stumpjumper

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Reasonable price, good construction, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
I've had these shoes now for about two years, and they've been great. I bought them to replace my original Specialized MTB shoes that I had for 13 years until I noticed a crack in the sole. These are good, strong shoes that can take abuse! No reason to spend more money when these will give you everything you need! You can never go wrong with the big red S!

Submitted by sotos a Cross Country Rider from Athens-Greece

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap and comfy !!!

Weaknesses:    It would be nice to have a stronger rubber protection in front of finger section or made an interchangeable part...

Bottom Line:
Good shoe for wider feet !!! In my expirience specialized,diadora and northwave can be comfortable for my wider feet.It is a cheap comfy shoe with good value.Dont forget to wear a shoe cover or at least a gore tex shock in winter !!!!

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   six six one(dont remember the model)

Bike Setup:   Scapin Kyoto scandium,Reba XX 100mm,XT group

Submitted by twindaddy a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area CA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2011

Strengths:    Long lasting, stiff, velcro lasted 12 years!

Bottom Line:
I suppose it's possible there are still 'Sport MTB' shoes being made by Specialized, so please note that this review is for the 1999/2000 model year.
Here it is 2011 and I'm writing a review/goodbye for shoes that are 12 years old. That's right - these lasted 12 years! I have put thousands of miles on these and they are only now being retired due to the heal of the left shoe tearing after I poked a hole through the side of them about a year ago. In spite of the hole, they continued to hold up and didn't fall apart as I would have expected.
I'm bitterly disappointed. I cannot find any other shoes that fit quite as well as these (snug without being uncomfortable, firm and relatively light).
I haven't ever washed these in the 12 years I've worn them. The occasional rain ride would cleanse them well enough of the mud that was often caked around them.
The velcro is still sticky enough that I could get away without the laces if I had to.
The cleats never slipped and the soles held up well in numerous rocky hikes.
I ride a lot of cross-country. I assume that was the intention of these shoes as they are low around the ankles. The velcro helped keep them snug with thin socks, yet they fit well enough to accommodate thicker socks on cold rides.
These shoes were with me when longer than my children and will be missed. RIP old friends.

Purchased At:   Don't recall

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, lightweight, breatheable, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Only two straps so there's a bit of heel lift.

Bottom Line:
Good, reasonably priced, comfortable shoes. Lasted just over 2 years of bike'n'hike on rocky terrain before the soles came apart.

Purchased At:   Tommy and Lefebvre

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Cactus hardtail with Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Long lasting, good fit, grip, durable -- been using them for 5 years

Weaknesses:    sole slippery on hard wet surfaces, only 2 straps so not super-tight fit

Bottom Line:
Great shoes -- I can say after 5 years they hold up really well. The last 2.5 years I've been riding maybe 3 - 6 hours a week, much of it offroad -- stream-crossings, mud, roots, you name it I've seen it, and it's held up well. Some of the pads on the sole were starting to peel away but I glued them down and hope to get another couple years use out of them.

I salivate over the carbon expert version but I can't justify spending that much on shoes. 3 straps would be nice but now the Sport version has 3 straps as well, so I would probably buy the sport version if I had to replace them right now.

Favorite Trail:   Makara Peak

Purchased At:   The Pedaler in El Sobrante, CA

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur Disc

Submitted by NiceGuyMr from Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2006

Strengths:    For the money... Comfort, Fit, they work

Weaknesses:    Looks

Bottom Line:
Since this is my first pair, I don't have anything to compare them with but I'll try to give a good review.

I tried several pairs of shoes on before buying these. I have a US size 13 foot and it is often times hard for me to find shoes of any kind that fit me comfortably. After trying several brands in my size, these seemed to be the most comfortable to me IN THIS PRICE RANGE. Even though I thought I was going to lean towards one of the more expensive shoes with the 'ratcheted' laces, The velcro laces hold the shoes in place very securely. Overall, I'd say you get what you're paying for in comfort.

Again, since this is my first time, I couldn't tell you about peformance compared to other shoes. I can only tell you that they clipped in and with ease for me, but then again, I have my PD-M324 pedals (platform on one side and clip in on the other) set to the lightest tension. I have yet to take my bike on any 'serious' off road trails, but I feel comfortable in the way they have performed on me thus far.

I only wish that I would have found at my LBS similarly priced shoes that looked more like sneakers... b/c I sometimes just like to ride to the local cafe with my gf and grab a small bite, or even take my dog to the park, and I think most biking shoes look kinda dorky (as do the helmets).

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first pair of clip in biking shoes.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by BEN Pupeza a Cross Country Rider from Blaine MN Anoka

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    stiff, durable, laces and straps, not $100+ ,wide

Weaknesses:    butt ugly, dry slowly due to real unfinished, raw or fuzzy type of leather v.s. smooth finished leather or synthetic materials.

Bottom Line:
I just got my bike and had to get shoes fast at LBS. I could have got a better deal on the web on better shoes but these shoes do the job. theyre not crap but certainly not high performance in any way. Very good is what I'd say. you know how that toyota just keeps going. It rusts out and has a low top speed but gets you from A to B without breaking down. Ive had these shoes for two abusive years. they are starting to rip on a seam on the inside ball of my foot. For what I paid and what Ive done I'd say they are a good value. Like I said theyre not crap.
Live to ride, ride to live

Favorite Trail:   with dirt in sun or trees

Purchased At:   pioneer cycling in MN

Similar Products Used:   nothing to comare. these are my first clipless shoes

Bike Setup:   02 specialized stumpjumper compe. spd pedals 525's.I wont brag on upgrades but love my fox shock oh yeah, baby butt smooth lie butta

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from Wynnewood

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Strengths:    These are very comfertable and strong shoes. I baught these used on ebay and they still are in great working and physical condition.

Weaknesses:    For me at least they are kind of loose fitting unless i tighten them all the way. They are my size, yet still seem to fit a bit loose. I realize I did buy them online and didnt get to try them on, but they still are the same size as my old sneakers that fit perfectly.

Bottom Line:
Great shoes for the xc/aggresive xc rider like myself. They hold there ground and do what they are supposed to. I took one chilli off due to there loose fit. (I like them to be a bit tighter)

Favorite Trail:   Wyssihikon

Similar Products Used:   Just normal sneakers

Bike Setup:   Giant Boulder SE, Manitou Axel, Many upgraded parts

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Johnstown, PA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    stiffness, comfort, price

Weaknesses:    weight, ventilation

Bottom Line:
I originally bought these shoes in the spring of '01 and paid near full price at that time. Looking at the reviews for a friend, I noticed the deal at specialized.com and had to buy a second pair as a backup. My original pair is showing some wear at the seams and on the sole (esp at the toe), but are in pretty good shape for 2+ yrs and 2000+ miles.

I've used these shoes for both XC riding and a bit of racing as well as some cyclocross and have been very happy with them. They can be warm in hot weather, but they are OK for Pennsylvania. The flipside is they are great in cooler temps and I've ridden with just wool socks and these shoes down to 30F. They are quite stiff for a comfortable shoe and the soles provide great traction. I haven't had any problems running short distances (up to 25m) in them. A good value at the original $70, absolutely insane at $20.

Favorite Trail:   any that go up

Purchased At:   specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   various road shoes

Bike Setup:   Old Cannondale SV, Kona King Kikapu, and Redline Conquest - all with SPD's

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, stiff, durable

Weaknesses:    haven't noticed anything

Bottom Line:
I bought these off the website for a hella-low price, it was sweet. They always have cheap ass shoes, but most of the time the most common sizes are sold out, i got lucky. I would recommend anyone these shoes, especially for non-racing. Ive never washed them, just throw them in a corner and they look like new. The tread is holding up well.

Purchased At:   Specialized Website

Similar Products Used:   1st and only Clipless shoe so far

Bike Setup:   03 Stumpjumper Comp

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, good fit

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest shoe, not the best colors

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great for the price. They are not the best looking nor are they the lightest shoes. More importantly, they fit very comforatbly and have lasted two years and are still in good shape. They actually out lasted my last bike. I am ready for new shoes but can't find a reason to replace these yet.

Great shoes.

Bike Setup:   2003 Stumpjumper FSR, Talas Fork, BETD linkage w/ 4-5 inches of rear travel, XTR, Race Face - Nothing stock

Submitted by Corey a Cross Country Rider from Groton, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    light, comforabul, cheap

Weaknesses:    weird looking, cold in the fall/winter, cant walk in then

Bottom Line:
Good beginer shoes, but they are wierd looking and they are mad cold, and you cant walk in them, ive fell like 3 times walking in them

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point