Specialized S-Works XC Shoes

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The S-Works XC shoe is engineered around our stiffest carbon Powerline sole. A Body Geometry outsole and S2 Boa® dials provide unparalleled fit and adjustability in a lightweight shoe that is the pinnacle of XC race performance.

Submitted by Niels a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2015

Strengths:    Great sole stiffness, grat looks

Weaknesses:    Contineous pressure on top of big toe and simply to narrow for people that do not have princess feet

Bottom Line:
i have to say upfront i am a true specialized guy. i ride an epic (comp) from 2012 and have had the comp mtb shoes already in 2010 and have been wearing them ever since. yes 5 seasons of love and joy. because i really love my comp shoes but they are becoming old and the sole is starting to detach at the rear i decided to go for the 'creme de la creme', the best shoes money can buy, the 'christopher sauser' amongst shoes. my all time high: the specialized s-works xc shoes. yeah! i was so happy when i finally bought them. it had cost me a kidney but hey, eur350 should be worth it right? the stiffness of the sole is remarkable, the looks are too die for and you feel like christopher sauser when riding. well my friends, deception is a b..tch.

i bought the xc 1 size bigger then my regular size ( ik have 43.5 and bought 44.5) similar to my comp's so nothing wrong there, and in the store they felt ok. snug but not uncomfortable (not knowing how much you feet swell during a riding) and yes i admit i have wide feet, but these shoes are just plain painful. i tried them during my training round. which lasts 1 hour. but i had to stop half way because the shoes were killing my feet. it was not only the narrowness that killed me, it was also the constant pressure on my big toe at the top that started to frustrate me and making me focus on my feet rather then on the course. i tried to make them wider by applying heat and wearing them during evenings in front of the tv ( do you see the picture ??) but it did not help, i tried other inner soles, thinner socks, but nothing helped. they were just to narrow and after 6 months of trying and trying i had to face the bitter truth, they do not fit me and i had to sell them off.....with a deep regret and sorrow. my 'precious' was not fit for me, or rather, i did not fit the 'precious'. so this hobbit with wide feet contineous to ride the comp's till ' the master' specialized decides to make a model that would fit the feet of the inhabitants of middle earth.

later i also tried the wide edition of the s-works xc but these did not feel as comfortable as my good old comp's either, still too narrow.

Favorite Trail:   Crown domain apeldoorn the netherlands

Purchased At:   X

Similar Products Used:   Specialized comp 2010

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic 2012 upgraded to X0 and sram guide breaks

Submitted by Jeff9r a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    Comfortable, adjustable fit w/ the Boa system. Very lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Shiny finish is sure to scuff quickly with real XC riding.

Bottom Line:
The fit of these shoes was unbelievable right out of the box. First ride in them was a 35-miler on local trails and the shoes felt like slippers. Body Geometry insoles were also comfortable and not irritating like some of the earlier models that had a metatarsal arch that was waaaay too high. I also like that these shoes came with toe spikes. Only thing I ound negative about these shoes was the cost. Even with a local bike shop discount, these babies are steeply priced. Only thing keeping these from 5 chillies across the board is the cost of ownership. I've dated some very classy women who didn't own Pradas this expensive..., but then again, their shoes couldn't do what these do!
These shoes are perfect for the XC, go faster, race-it-like-you-stole-it crowd. If you have the $$$$$ laying around, I recommend spending it on these shoes. If they last like I think they should, even at this price, they will be a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State Park, MD