Specialized S-Works Trail Shoes

The new S-Works Trail shoe combines the light weight and performance of an XC shoe with the durability, grip, and protection aggressive trail riders demand. Increased toe and ankle protection paired with a super-efficient Powerline carbon composite sole allow riders to attack the trail both uphill and descending.

Submitted by EoC of TMT

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    Awesome shoe that fits so well that doesnt require a break in period. Light weight. Stiff. Adjustable on the fly. Cool design features

Weaknesses:    Maybe not weakness, but the high arch support required acclimation period as I came from Shimano shoes that were not as supportive

Bottom Line:
6'2" rider. Riding weight fluxes between 220-235#. Tend to ride AM/XC in Pa, Md, And Va mainly.

First these shoes rock...and handles the rocks. Specialized did some interesting design features to allow all mountain and x-country riders a shoe that can handle epic and endurance type rides. Reinforced along sides of shoe help deal with the "occasional" rubs you get in rock gardens et al. Toe is reinforced too. The boa dials are placed higher up on shoe reducing rubs and scrapes (more on boa system in second). Also, the inside part (side facing bike) of ankle area is extended to protect bumps and rubs. all this ( and more) while keeping a weight profile that I consider light enough for racing.

The fitting is a flick of the dial. The dials are reversed on the shoes with the intention that you spin forward to tight and spin back (towards you) to loosen. Especially convenient while pedaling. The dial system really allows for quick micro adjustments and helpsndealmwith hot points. I was worried about durability of dials and cables of system. Dials are replaceable now which is nice, but I really haven't had to deal with an issue so far.

This is the stiffest shoe I have owned. Definitely can feel the power transfer to the pedal. I found walking in the shoe to be surprisingly comfortable. The specialized arch system accounts for support high arches. At first this caused me some hot points and some tingling; however, I managed with boa adjustments to address in short term. Long term insimplyngotnused to support. Now I'm trying inserts in my other shoes as the arch support seems to help endurance wise.

I thought price point was a bit high, but I really like the shoe. It was worth it for me.

Bike Setup:   29'ers: Ellsworth evolve, xt components, Chris king hubs and headset, ztr archex tubeless; Santa Cruz TallboyC, xtr components, Chris king hubs and headset, ztr archex tubeless.