Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shoes

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Full off road capability and comfort whether you're biking or hiking. Upgraded features from the regular Rockhopper shoe.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Good shoe when you're scrambling up the really steep stuff. Somewhat flexible and recessed cleat make the above possible

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Recessed cleat can be a nuisance with some pedal setups (see below)

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what good reviewing a shoe does as you should really buy for fit and comfort for your own foot. However, this is a decent shoe if you are like me and need to hike with the bike from time to time on the really steep stuff. I bike a variety of trail terrains and wanted a decent all around shoe. This is what fit me best for the style I was looking for. One thing to note, don't buy this shoe if you have the Shimano M646 pedals or intend on buying them. I was all psyched to try out my new clipless setup and after 10 minutes of frustration, went to my LBS to make sure I wasn't crazy. Because of the highly recessed cleat, it would have required cutting away some of the sole to accomodate the pedal cage. In the end, I realized I'm either using clipless pedals or not and committed by swapping the 646's for 515's.

Favorite Trail:   Depends on mood

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Katai

Submitted by Dave from Los Angeles CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    Let me ride and hike without changing shoes - they look good - lace lock - recessed cleats work while walking/scrambling over rough ground.

Weaknesses:    They are heavy, and they are not nearly as stiff in the sole as more race oriented models

Bottom Line:
I've had my Rockhoppers for a little more than a year. These are fantastic hike-n-bike shoes. I love the lace lock, too, which does away with Velcro strips and means the shoes can look, when necessary, like light hiking boots rather than high tech bike shoes.

As listed above, I have only two complaints: Rockhoppers are a bit on the heavy side, and after a few hours of aggressive riding on pedals with small platforms, my feet start to go numb (no doubt because the soles aren't super stiff, and because I have big feet.) I have the 2001 model, the 2002 model may have solved both problems. But I'm not racing with the shoes, so they are more than adequate for their intended purpose. And they look good on or off the bike, including the sleeker look of the new models.

For example, a month ago I biked 10 miles through the streets of L.A. to the base of Cahuenga Peak, the tallest peak, at 1800+ feet, in the eastern Santa Monica mts. Then I slung my bike over my shoulder and walked/clambered up a very steep, very narrow trail for about 40 minutes to reach the summit of the peak, where I then walked (and riding a little) off the southeast ridge of the mountain. The shoe performed flawlessly on and off the bike. The recessed cleats were easy to get into and out of while I rode, and they were completely out of the way while I made my way up the mountain on foot. Although these aren't climbing shoes, they gave me plenty of grip on the rough trail.

Two weekends ago I took my Rockhoppers to Yosemite and biked and hiked around the Valley with no problems. That included a fast tour of the lower Valley - about 9 miles - including a stiff ride up to famed Tunnel View - and doing some walking whenever and wherever I wanted to stop the bike, including a walk out to the Merced River, and visiting the Ansel Adams gallery.

And if they shoes get dirty, I can hose 'em off or even toss them in the washing machine.

They earn all the chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Cahuenga Peak

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed Comp Mt., Specialized Rockhoppers (regular), and various other makes and models over the years.

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail with Time ATACS (and someetimes Shimano M545 pedals)

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Very Confortable, Well Built, great tread.

Weaknesses:    People say their heavy...I don't mind though!!

Bottom Line:
I have put these things thru all kind of stuff and they are amazing!
This is what a MTB shoe should be like!

Favorite Trail:   ANY!

Purchased At:   Wind Center

Similar Products Used:   None, First SPD's

Bike Setup:   2001 Rockhopper Pro, Stock

Submitted by Eric Eppinger a Weekend Warrior from Andover

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Strengths:    tread has good grip, seems well built, wide foot bed, warm for cold weather

Weaknesses:    ????

Bottom Line:
I think my history is rather similar to other readers on this site. My last rig was a hardtail and I used Sidi Dominator IIs shoes for cross country riding and racing. Speed and efficient energy transfer was the goal. This winter I bought my first FS ride and haven't been all that interested in racing anymore (other than an occasional EFTA enduro). I have been dabbing and crashing more due to the technical terrain the new bike is constantly tempting me to try. Plastic soled racing shoes aren't really that helpful when you have to get off your bike. The Rock Hopper Comps are a pretty good compromise between still having a stiff enough shoe for pedaling and being able to scramble on\off\over technical ground. The sole has a stiff shank that ends just behind the ball of your foot and lets the toe box flex. The tread is fairly aggressive and it lets you scramble over hard surfaces. Before with the previously mentioned plastic soled racing shoes, going over open rock faces felt like you were walking on ice. The Rock Hopper Comps feel more like running shoes in this regard. The shoe seems durable and well built. They are also very warm which is nice in the winter but probably too warm in the summer. Support NEMBA.

Favorite Trail:   meshamosic

Purchased At:   Newington Bike

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator II, Nike Puhbah

Bike Setup:   Deore DX downhill pedals, Sugar 2+

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Strengths:    Durable Exterior

Weaknesses:    Makes my feet go numb. Poor support over the top of the threaded eyes.

Bottom Line:
I will not by this product again

Purchased At:   Shop in Chicago

Similar Products Used:   First SPD setup

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roch Hopper Comp with Judy XC

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from Perth WA Australia

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    I bought them because of their comfortable fit.(I have a very wide foot). The Rockhoppers look good and can be worn anywhere. They protect the foot well and have a reasonable platform for pedalling but are flexible enough for hiking. They have a chunky sole that covers the edges of the foot and toes. The shoes have a soft padding inside and around the ankle. After riding for a couple of hours sweat build-up is minimal so they seem to breathe reasonably well. The rubber lace holders are a handy adjunct. I often wear these all day for everyday use.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
The Rockhopper is a shoe that not only looks good but will more than adequately support and protect the foot for bush bashing and road riding.
Because of my limited knowledge I would recommend the Rockhoppers for at least a novice rider wanting a good all-round shoe and to those people who suffer trying to find a shoe that fits.
I do a lot of road miles and to date they are the ideal shoe.

Purchased At:   Fleets Fremantle

Similar Products Used:   These are my first bike shoes and SPDs.

Bike Setup:   Standard Giant Rincon with road trail tyres.

Submitted by Darren Hallihan a Cross Country Rider from Northridge

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Euro size 48 fit me and I wear a 15!! Strap to hold laces.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Was stoked to find that my size 15 feet fit in the Euro 48's!!! Comfortable, cool looking. Will definately buy again. Great for Biking and Hiking. Go get em!!!

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 3

Submitted by David Kerby a Weekend Warrior from Castro Valley, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort, fit, stiffness, looks great..

Weaknesses:    None yet, maybe a little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding shoe!! I could hike and/or ride in these all
day. (and have) Cleats stay in well, works great with clipless pedals, never feels like my feet want to pull out when I'm clipped in. Will be getting another pair fer sure. Can't say enough good things about these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   live oak loop

Purchased At:   CV Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   Mongoose frame, thats the only original part left..

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Ridley Park, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Walkability; protection for inside of ankle; heavy-duty construction; fits wide feet; looks good; effective, simple lace management

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
First, I'm not a cross-country rider. I'm a commuter, tourer, and day-tripper, and it's stupid that these reviews don't let reviewers ID tnemselves better.

These are 2000-model shoes. I've put about 4000 bike miles on them, and quite a few walking miles. I frequently wear them all day, at work or wherever I happen to be going on my bike. They seem plenty stiff enough to be effective cycling shoes, while still being flexible enough for comfortable walking. I'm always whacking the insides of my ankles on something or other (owww!) so the design of these shoes is a godsend.

I love the elastic loop for keeping the laces from slapping around.

I like these shoes so much I bought an extra pair one size bigger (when Specialized had them on clearance at their website) to wear in the winder with double wool socks.

Purchased At:   CycleFit of Delaware County (PA)

Similar Products Used:   Answer flatfoot shoes; Shimano SPD sandals

Bike Setup:   Novara Randonee touring bike with Ritchey Comp V2 SPD pedals; Airborne Carpe Diem touring bike with Wellgo 813 SPD pedals

Submitted by derek stacy a Cross Country Rider from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    excllent price, great fit, easy to hike in, good foot protection. this shoe is also a good pick for people with wide feet.

Weaknesses:    these shoe I think will be hot in the summer I will see in July and August. These shoes are a little heavy for people worried about weight, but for fat people like me there great.

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of clipless shoes and there excellent, no problems in the first 250 miles. The inner protection for the foot to crank hits does get scuffed but it must be working. I bought these shoes without doing any research on clipless shoes but when I saw the price on the internet I new I got a good deal at 50 dollars CND. The best part is the fact they look like regular hiking shoe and not plastic race shoes. There is flex in the sole that makes it easy to walk bad for power transfer. 5 chilis for value due to the low bike show price and 5 more for comfort.

Favorite Trail:   boy scout camp

Purchased At:   Toronto bike show

Bike Setup:   00'Oryx equip 2500, Judy XC, rhino lite wheels, and up graded V brake.

Submitted by nick a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Nice chunky sole gives good grip on the trail and the platform of my M545's. Comfy to walk in, as good as any regular shoe, but has decently stiff sole Looks absolutely sick. High cut inner ankle provides protection from smacking your ankle on the cranks. Top notch quality construction. No compatibility problems between chunky sole and pedal. Groovy carbon looking arch.

Weaknesses:    Full low cut version looks better, and the inside high cut cuff can get dirty if it rubs on dirty cranks.

Bottom Line:
Great shoes for MTBers who may also need to hike it. A little pricey here down under ($189) but i got $AU20 off them, making them only $10 more than the base Rockhopper shoes. Sick looking and top notch quality, worth the money. Why not buy a shoe you can walk in as well rather than those gay plastic soled shoes that make you look like a try-hard tosser.

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   Universe Bikes, parramatta

Bike Setup:   '00 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FSR
Shimano M545 pedals, Manitou Magnum R, Fox Vanilla, Ritchey OCR Comp Rims, Deore/LX

Need Help Identifying Rockhopper Comp

I just purchased a red Rockhopper Comp w/ a chromoly frame and white lettering. It has the front brake routed through the stem. The paint job looks very similar to this random Rockhopper A1 that I found on the web, but none of the charts, etc. that I have located identify the year, etc. for the o ... Read More »

Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport.

[COLOR=#333333]Getting back into mt biking which would be better Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport. The last mt bike I had was AlpineStars AST300 with 26" Wheels and 3x7 gears. Any ideas would be much appreciated .[/COLOR]Read More »

Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport

Getting back into mt biking which would be better Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport. The last mt bike I had was AlpineStars AST300 with 26" Wheels and 3x7 gears. Any ideas would be much appreciated .Read More »

14 Rockhopper Comp vs. 14 Crave 29.

I'm looking to purchase one of these bikes at my LBS. They are trying to clear them out. Any thoughts on which one I should get? I will mostly riding local easy trails and street. But eventually want to go to better greenbelts. Thanks!Read More »

2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc vs 2013 Hardrock Sport Disc

Looking to upgrade from my 26 in Hardrock (diskless) to one of the 2 29ers. Around my part of town I can get the Rockhopper for around $550 and the hardrock retails for $630. The Rockhopper is in excellent condition as well. Kind of leaning towards the Rockhopper even though it is used. Any reco ... Read More »