Specialized Rime MTB Shoes

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 245 g MSRP : $175.00

The Rime merges XC performance with All-Mountain/Freeride features. Robust Vibram rubber sole, durable and protective upper, Boa dial adjustability, and BG technology make the Rime the perfect shoe for the modern mountain biker.
  • Vibram rubber outsole for unmatched traction and durability
  • Composite midsole plate for efficient cycling, but flexible enough for walking: 7.0 stiffness index
  • Performance-enhancing BG features in the outsole and footbed
  • New S2 Boa cartridge closure, with improved durability for dirt and ease of use.
  • Incremental adjustment, braided stainless steel cable and easy 3mm Allen replaceable cartridge system
  • Durable synthetic upper is supple fitting with improved welded reinforcement to handle all mountain use
  • Wrap style tongue for comfort, secure fit and keeps dirt and mud out
  • 2-bolt cleat pattern, compatible with all major MTB pedals

Submitted by centralcoastkid

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2013

Strengths:    A great shoe to bike hike , comfortable though they were a little stiff new they quickly loosened up in the right places the grip is insane on the peddle and ground. price ? well I got mine from my lbs for 120.00 ( 2014,s ) so I got lucky on that.

Weaknesses:    its winter here and on the first couple cold days I could feel it on my toes being well ventilated a pair of toe sox fixed that problem right away though.

Bottom Line:
Im a trail rider and like to get off the beaten path and explore and with these shoes I don't feel any discomfort while walking around and none while clipped in , overall great shoe !

Submitted by DPF a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Vibram Sole
Comfortable
Aim at Enduro Riding
Stiff Sole
Durable
Breathing Capability
Easy to replace BOA.
Best grip in all conditions of any mountain bike shoe that I have used before.

Weaknesses:    BOA is not best system. Cable got tangled while washing which required to get a replacement. Easy to change BOA system, and cheap to purchase also USD $5.
A little heavy if you are into counting grams (easier to loose weight).
Which they had more color options.

Bottom Line:
Love specialized shoes, always comfortable. Thinking of buying a second pair.

Favorite Trail:   Los Paulinos

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Similar Products Used:   Specialized MTB Comp

Bike Setup:   2014 Niner RIP 9 XT

Submitted by jonbyron

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff enough, great sole, fits very well and is comfortable on hike-a-bikes and good traction on rocks, can "trail run" a bit if needed as well.

Weaknesses:    Dries very slowly and holds water

Bottom Line:
These shoes are amazing for all day journeys into the woods. I ride in an area with a lot of very rocky, rooty, rough trails that often require hike-a-bikes of a couple miles at a time. I bought the Rime shoes because my Sidi Dominator 5s were just too slippery when walking through streams and climbing up rocks. I've also ridden with these quite a bit and have had no issues with the boa closure system.

Which brings me to my only complaint about the shoe and my hope this suggestion reaches the folks at Specialized. The Rime is in my opinion the ultimate mountain bike shoe, BUT they dry so very slowly(2 days usually) and hold a lot of water. Isnt there any way to include the vibram sole, same stiffness ratio, but make the top part of the shoe less like a tennis shoe and more like an actual bike shoe?

Submitted by poppawheeley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    shoe feels perfect when it's workin

Weaknesses:    breaks down quickly. boa system is fragile

Bottom Line:
excellent show when it's not in the shop..

Favorite Trail:   all

Bike Setup:   single speed rigid

Submitted by Russell

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Vibram soles

Weaknesses:    BOA system, price

Bottom Line:
these are the best MTB shoes I've bought yet. They are great for rocks, roots, leaves, and pedaling. I've had to do my fair share of walking and the SIDI shoes I had first I would've rather walked barefoot on the trail. The BOA system is a little weak, I broke one already within 3 months but to give BOA credit they did replace it under warranty with no questions asked within 3 days and they said they are guaranteed. I gave these shoes 4 chilis only because $175.00 for a shoe I'm going to stick in the mud and dirt is a little high for me, I just hope they last.

Submitted by solitone a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Tough Vibram sole, pretty rigid to pedal efficiently, although comfortable enough for walking on the trail. Superb grip on rocky terrain, as well as grass, mud, etc. Cleats do not protude. Nice body-geometry footbed. Effective toe protection. Easy to clean.

Weaknesses:    They're not light. Limited cleat positioning.

Bottom Line:
Specialized Rime shoes are exactly what I was looking for.

With their Vibram sole you can easily walk on all trail surfaces--rock, mud, grass, etc. Besides, the sole is quite stiff, so you can pedal comfortably and effectively. Still, it's not TOO rigid, and so these shoes are pretty good for walking. Cleats do not protude, and their footbed is super comfy, too.

I've used them with Shimano XT race pedals, as well as Crankbrothers Candy 3. With both they worked smoothly.

Their weight is OK, especially considering their intended use, but at 460 g each including cleat they're not the lightest. But for trail riding you'd rather choose a more solid and secure shoe, wouldn't you, even though this means some extra grams!

One single point you'd better take notice: it seems cleats can't be positioned very far to the front. I ended up placing them in the foremost position, and to me this was the right placement. Nevertheless consider this aspect before buying.

In short, it was a great choice, and I'm totally happy with them. The only thing I don't particularly appreciate perhaps is their look, but it's just my taste, and I therefore highly recommend them--also considering their price--155 €.

The definite choice for trail riding, IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Maxei, Imperia, Italy

Similar Products Used:   Some model by North wave--don't remember the make

Bike Setup:   Gasventinove Stambek, with American Classic 29 AM wheels

Submitted by chongoman

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent stiffness for a shoe that also allows you to walk over rocky terrain that cannot be ridden. These shoes fill in the gap between traditional XC performance and practical comfort needed when stepping off or hiking your bike through nasty, rocky segments.
The toe protection is nice too.
Love these shoes. I wish they were a little cheaper, but what can you do? they're worth it.

Weaknesses:    None for my uses.

Bottom Line:
love them

Submitted by Raymo853

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable
Good shoe for non-racer types that ride tough terrain

Weaknesses:    Boa retention system

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes about six months ago and have many great hours of riding, and walking at times. I think the shoes are great. Comfortable, easy to walk in regardless of the terrain, and fit me well. The nice grippy tread is just not great to walk in, but great when you need to put a foot down for a moment to get over an obstacle.

However, the Boa retention system is a big weakness. Might be ok for a road bike shoe, but when confronted with sand, silt and clay particles plus all sorts of grasses and plants, it jams and jams. Mine finally failed after about 6 months.

One note, no shop I could find carried this shoe. Most had not even heard of it. As expected, a few tried to argue me out of it or direct me to commuter type shoes. So annoying the bike industry doe snot understand the need for this type of shoe along with things like the Pearl X Alp.

Submitted by Frank D a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable to walk and scramble in. Bought these specifically to address riding the rock in Utah. Hating the other shoes slipping around when i had to walk or un-clip. For a clipped in biking shoe the traction is amazing, especially in the forefoot or toe area, no spike holes or anything but sticky Fibram rubber. AND the side edge traction is good. I actually, even at the price, save them for rocky days, want them to last. Flexible but not too.

Weaknesses:    The BOA. Even if they say it's new and improved, it's going to cause problems, I can feel it. A cute little screwdriver is included to try to deal with it. I've just go to remind myself to be careful. Can't believe one good whack won't break them. Oh, and the price, $175.00. if it were fifty less I'd use them all the time. And i can see where they might not be much of an advantage at all if you NEED the toe spikes. And the wierd green (very small) accents, not necessary, really?

Bottom Line:
GREAT "rock" shoe and for just walking around. And not looking too much like a bike dork, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada, Moab

Duration Product Used:   6 times - saving them

Purchased At:   Surf CIty Cyclery -

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pro, various Shimano

Bike Setup:   '11 Stump Exp/ Fox 34

Submitted by Flash a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit, BOA is awesome, stiff sole and htay are black.

Weaknesses:    I guess maybe price. you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
This is the shoe I have been waiting for. Feels great, great power transfer, on the fly adjustment with the BOA. The Vibram sole is great to walk on, unlike almost all other shoes I have owned. I wear them to the trail and then snug them up before the ride. As said below, this style of shoe will catch on and we will see more of tham.

Purchased At:   Denny's Central Park