Specialized Ground Control Shoes

3.09/5 (44 Reviews)

Specialized Ground Control Sport Size 39 is a lightweight, breathable shoe perfect for spinning or offroad cycling. SPD Compatible.

Submitted by windy from putian fujian china

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Shoes Co., Ltd(www .nikemade. com) is a professional Famous Sports shoes manufacturer in China, which including exploitation, production, and distribution .
Our main business is NIKE SHOES, TN, AIRMAX95,97,2003,2004,TL,R4,R5,NZ,OZ,BWM,Turbo,JORDAN1-21, DUNK and some other brands of PUMA, TIMBERLAND, PRADA, ADIDAS,T-shirts, Jacket, Hat, Handbag, Designer Sunglasses and Mp4 player, PSP, Cell phone and so on.
We own professional, scientific product line. Our hard working, high educated employees promise you best quality goods.
Our products are well known for their high quality and good hand making. We wish to pursue the opportunities to work with any interested parties. A strong teamwork hardly to open abroad market.
Hope to get a long term business with all buyers over the world!
MSN: windynikemade@hotmail.com email:windynikemade@yahoo.com

Submitted by Jay Ng a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    The upper of the shoe is soft and comfortable (but not too soft!)

Weaknesses:    The heel came right off. It starts to detach at the arch of the foot and peel its way back until the heel comes off completely. This is probably due to aggressive riding.

I tried to glue it back on, but as we all know, this is not a permanent solution.

Bottom Line:
The shoe worked well for me but the undoing of the heel was what made me eventually go out and buy a new pair.

The laces would need to be tucked into the front lace loop so as not to impede your riding, but I could deal with that.

I bought the shoes many years ago and used them for quite some time. I only recently bought a new pair (in the past 3 months.)

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow

Purchased At:   Don't know

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M-152 (currently using)

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant Iguana Disc

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Medford, Oregon. USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Very durable, very comfortable, plenty stiff, adjustable velcro strap on heel makes it easy to adjust fit after they get wet.

Weaknesses:    Tread on sole not very agressive.

Bottom Line:
I guess they don't make em like they used to. I researched shoes very thouroughly in 1992 and decided on these. The price seemed a bit high but I was assured they were worth it. Well almost ten years later they are still holding up well. I've used them for offroad, road, and commuting with no problems ever. It surprised me to see the drop in quality that must have taken place a few years later.
I have always used them with the Onza HO pedals which aren't the greatest, but once you get used to their shortcomings, aren't bad pedals. I was lucky to find a set when I recently purchased the LTS1 after my fine steel Balance was stolen.
I am unquestionably old school, not because I don't like new technology, but more because I can afford the high end older stuff and being an XC rider, not a racer, much of the benifits of newer technology is wasted on me.
I have thought to get some new cooler shoes,but the truth is they are working so well I really can't justify it.
Keep on grinding!!

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle, Orlando, Fl.

Similar Products Used:   No other off road shoes. Diadora and 2 styles of Nike road shoes.

Bike Setup:   Kona Cindercone w/ Onza HO
Balance XR750 w/ Onza HO
96 GT LTS1 w/ Onza HO

Submitted by Trusty Terry a cross-country rider from Stow Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had these shoes for two years now. After three weeks of use,these shoes fell apart. The soles peeled off & the stitching came apart. Leaving me very mad & with two specialized piles of crap. I took them back, and they gave me another pair. The second pair is holding up. These have been good shoes. I will never buy specialized shoes again,because of the first pair. I give these shoes two specialized flamin piles of crap,for all I went through.

Submitted by Bennett a racer from PA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased these shoes in 97. I have had them for almost a year now and have had little trouble. These shoes are very comfortable and enjoyable to ride in. The laces are a bit of a pain to tie but once they are tied they fit great. The only to problems i have had with them are the sole cracked at the cleat. The sole also wore down fairly quickly in just a little less than a year. It was really not a major concern though b/c i bought these from supergo for $30 and i really cant argue that they are shot after one year. your could bye 3 pairs of these shoes and replace them each year for the cost of one pair of quality shoes. Another thing that i noticed is that they have minimal traction in the mud. I am now looking to buy a better quality shoe with toe spikes so i can get some good traction but overal good value

Submitted by Kerry Lensing` a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

No problems with these shoes at 4-5 rides a week. Black in color is a hell of a lot better than RED and YELLOW And the price is right too Going on 5 years now . But I dont walk in them either just ride! By the way I wont buy nikes because everything I've bought from them for running or hiking has come apart in a very short time not any 2-3 runs though!

Submitted by Rippin Rollin a cross-country rider from georgia

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I owned the Ground Controls (grey version with red trim) for two years. Nice shoes but are a pain to clip into pedals with. I thought it was either my technique or the pedals (Ritchey Logics) but several months ago I bought the Nike Yuha Plus. What a diff! Even though I think Nike is a huge, evil conglomerate with too many tentacles in too many areas, I have to say their shoes rock.
So, buy the Ground Controls and be happy or buy the Nikes and be very happy. Rating below applies to the Ground Controls. I give the Nikes 5 stars.

Submitted by Glenn a weekend warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Overall the shoe is good. However, the flap on the top tends to dig into my ankle so it's a pain. Make sure it fits!I had also had problems putting on the cleats so my cleats move around now. Unless you're good at it, have a bike mechanic/shop put on the cleats for you.

Submitted by Onno Baack a weekend warrior from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

The design of these shoes is really old, i bought my first set in 1992, after two years of riding races, the carbon/thermoplastic sole broke at the pedal cleat attachment. No warranty whatsoever, Specialized just gave me new ones for free !!! what a service. Nowadays I'm not riding that much anymore and the sole didn't brake again, but after six years of testing my conclusion is that this shoe absolutely rocks !!!! and Specialized too !!!

Submitted by LB a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had these for about two years and they are holding up fine. I don't have anything else to compare them to, but they they have served their purpose well so far. My only complaint is that the agresive sole pattern makes it difficult to get into my toe clips. They tend to get caught on the pedals.

Submitted by Jonathan a cross-country rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

This shoe rocks! I have the Ground Control,as pictured,not the El Gato.
I have taken this thing through every kind condition you could imagine.
Rain,mud,sand,dirt,and occasionally,a few streams.Everything except snow!
I'v even raced with it once.I bought it through Supergo for only 30 bucks!The
best purchase I ever made.Now,get off the computer and go buy these! :-)

Submitted by Francis a cross-country rider from Manchester, MA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

These are the only shoes I've had in my 2 years of mountain biking, so I can't compare them with anything else, except what my friends ride with.
They are really comfortable, but they have basicly fallen apart to nothing. The soles have pretty much disintegrated, there are many tears, and a couple weeks ago the heel strap ripped of one shoe. They're comfortable enough that I'm going to take a look at another pair of specialized shoes. For $40 I think they held up reasonably well, and I definitely was happy with their comfort.

Submitted by Warren a cross-country rider from Mississauga, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

This shoe did not last 1 season of riding. Poor stitching. This shoe is not recommended in muddy conditions (poor traction). Would not recommend this shoe to anyone. I'm looking into a pair of Nike's this year. I'm also looking for something that looks more casual so I can wear out on hiking trips, etc... Any Suggestions?

Submitted by JR a weekend warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have used these gray shoes ror over 1.5 years (2x per week) and have suffered no problems as stated elsewhere here. I don't putt along; I can twist the knob pretty well. They seem a little heavy (size 45), but hold up fine. No problems with cleats interfacing with soles(747s and Onza). There is an art to properly setting up SPDs.

Submitted by keenan a racer from hell

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

these shoes really suck I bought the ultimate version (grey) and the
sole has peeled off of the bottom of the shoe. do not buy these
do not buy these they are worthless if i hadn't gotten them for 30 bucks
at nashbar i would be a lot more pissed than i already am

Ground Control vs. Captain vs Purgatory

I have ran specialized tires for years. Tried many different brands and have gone back to specialized for their great grip, durability, and large casings. My riding area is southern Wyoming and Northern Colorado. So far my favorite combo is the purg up front & captain in the back. Purg works gre ... Read More »

Ground control to Major Tom...

Rather, what are some of your key words in your communication dictionary that convey what is going on from the front seat, or as I like to say, the "hot" seat? As a new team, we are still trying to get on the same page with what words accurately and precisely communicate what the H.E.L.L. is about ... Read More »

Burping Ground Control on Flow - advice?

I've been burping my rear tire frequently, and would love some pointers to how best to deal with this. Wheel setup: Ground Control 2.3 on Flow rim, Stans Sealant. (on teh front, have a Purgatory 2.4). Usually run 25/22 PSI by my pump, but I think it may be soft. Mojo HD. Condition: Tires are ... Read More »

Maxxis Ardent UST vs Specialized Ground Control UST tire for AM bike?

I'm having a hard time deciding between which of the two to use for the upcoming summer season riding and some Enduros. I plan to use as a rear tire for my +34lb AM bike that I ride pretty hard (Banshee Rune V2) and require the extra sidewall protection with UST sidewall on the rear wheel, whereas ... Read More »

Maxxis Ardent UST vs Specialized Ground Control Grid UST tire for AM bike?