Specialized Comp MTB Shoes

3.7/5 (40 Reviews)
Weight : 370 g MSRP : $150.00

The Comp's pro-inspired fit, Body Geometry ergonomics, and affordability make it the best performing shoe in its category.

• Lightweight injection composite sole with sturdy co-molded lugs for hike-a-bike traction: 5.0 stiffness index
  • Performance-enhancing BG contours in the outsole and footbed
  • Low-profile and lightweight M-Lock SL buckle for secure closure
  • Welded protection in high-wear areas
  • Durable synthetic upper
  • 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern, compatible with all major MTB pedals

Submitted by jon

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Strengths:    The fit is great and the soles are the right stiffness for varying terrain.

Weaknesses:    The buckle is awful, it doesn't ratchet well and I can't get it to lock down to feel secure which is important when you are riding technical terrain.

Bottom Line:
My previous pair of comps were perfect, with the velcro closures. I have a pair of specialized road shoes which have a fantastic buckle system which actually works so I know that they can produce one. Overall I am very disappointed in these shoes and will look for an alternative the next time I am buying mtb shoes.

Submitted by neuregel a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    comfortable, fits well, lightweight

Weaknesses:    cant get rid of the oder

Bottom Line:
I got these for $40 on sale from LBS in spring of 2012, LBS says they wanted to get rid of them because no one was buying brown shoes. Me I dont care and the less colorful the better to me.
I wore them for a few months loved them. Far more comfortable than the adidas I was replacing. Im not a big fan of the slide in clip buckle, wish the top strap was just velcro, but whatever.

Here in NC we went through a rainy period that lasted about a week and a half a month or so ago. Alot of trails run through creeks and small streams that were now swollen torrents but I ride in the rain, I dont really care. crossing the creeks my feet / shoes got saturated. Ive been mtb'ing close to 15 years never had a problem with shoes. Ive even crossed small rivers in water waiste high with my bike over my head. (that was fun but only once in a while) but for some reason these shoes didnt dry out properly and smelled gawd-aweful mildew. I soaked them in bucket of woolite, then a bucket of oxi-clean. Ive taken out the soles and washed them in the washing machine. put the shoes in a backpack and stuck them in the dryer. lysoled to death still cant rid this mildew. this is crazy sheet.

After a month of this smell I took out the soles again and noticed, under the sole there are a bunch of loose strings taped down with masking tape. I noticed the masking tape was still wet. so I removed the wet soggy tape. cut the loose strings with nail clippers and that seemed to have reduced the smell ten fold. im not waiting for them to dry out after removing the tape. ive taken out the soles which dont really hold a smell and waiting for them to fully dry. I sprayed some more lysol. i think this should do it.

Submitted by Drew Doherty

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, easy to adjust, pretty light, comfortabel sole, good quality material

Weaknesses:    BUCKLE!!! buckle is finicky, its not to bad once youve done it a few times, water seeps in a little and i found the tounge to be a bit sharp and cut my angle but nothin some thinker socks cant fix

Bottom Line:
Good quality shoe, a good first pair of clip less shoes.

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, stiff

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have a fairly wide foot and these fit me like a glove - nice roomy toe box (which could be a minus for folks with narrow feet). Definitely the most comfy SPD compatible shoes I have ridden in so far. I was having some issues with my left knee that seem to have gone away since I switched to these - I think the ergo-footbed is working for me. I don't have enough miles on these to speak to long-term durability, but so far I love em'.

Purchased At:   Peloton Cycles

Submitted by jeffj a Weekend Warrior from Castaic, CA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2012

Strengths:    Super comfortable and durable. Easy to get in and out with the strap and buckle system. Metal cleats help during those rugged hike-a-bike efforts. I have ridden with on average of 4 to 6 days a week for well over 3 years and they are still going although the right buckle spring just recently gave up. The buckle still works so I keep using them. Larger toe-box than many eurostyle MTB shoes. The footbeds on the Comps are a little more cushy than those on the Sport models, the Sport model doesn't have a provision for the toe cleats in the sole, and the Sport model is not quite as stiff (I also own a pair of the Sport model).

Weaknesses:    The plastic toe protection on the left shoe was a little wonky from the get-go and stuck up a little right in the center. I trimmed it off with a single edge razor blade, but it left a small area for dirt to accumulate. It's mostly a cosmetic issue. Also, the stock straps are quite long so I trimmed them a little shorter and they don't catch on bushes and rocks anymore. Although many parts are available, I am surprised that wear item like the cleats are not available anywhere I could find. The stock metal tipped ones lasted for a couple years, but now I have been regulated to using plastic ones for soccer cleats that don't last as long.

Bottom Line:
In spite of a few very minor issues, I love these shoes. I have put them through way more than I have expected them to survive and they are still my everyday riding shoes. Considering what I have put them through, they are an excellent value and I will buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Purchased At:   Performance Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Airwalk, Specialized Sport

Bike Setup:   Shimano 540 M-SPD

Submitted by timothyclaus a Racer from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Comfy shoe, Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Ratchets fell apart, customer service is horrible

Bottom Line:
These shoes were ok until the cheap buckles failed 5 months in. Then they wanted me to pay $20 a piece to replace them. CRAP CRAP CRAP I contacted the Specialized support and they guided me to a place on-line to buy them. Obviusly this company has no idea what good customer services is and that good customer service will save your business when you make cheap cheap cheap products.

If you want to see what the customer service team had to say then check the forums. I posted it there.

If there was a zero chili rating, Specialized as a company would get it.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycle

Bike Setup:   5-Spot - Set up as Trail Bike

Submitted by bdunk a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, Stiff

Weaknesses:    SL buckle

Bottom Line:
I really liked these shoes until the ratcheting SL buckle broke and I have not been able to get a replacement. The Specialized web site has said "out of stock" for months. Local dealers do not carry this $15 part. So buy this shoe if you want invest in a product you can't use. Thanks for takling my money Spec. Can't believe you would want to lose customers over a $15 replacement part.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder, demo

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Submitted by zoothslooth a Cross Country Rider from Cordova

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, stiff. DURABLE DURABLE DURABLE.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy but not too bad

Bottom Line:
Best mtb show I've owned for the price. I got mine on sale for 90 or $100. I raced for 4 or 5 years with them and have since put on thousands and thousands of miles in Utah, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. They are fanstastic. I bought my pair in 2003 and I still use them 4-5 times per week. I've now decided to look for a new pair but hate to part with them. If you read this b/c you're looking for good value, buy these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail

Similar Products Used:   Sidi dominator

Bike Setup:   Rigid 29er, Fisher Paragon 29er, GT Zaskar, Trek liquid 55

Submitted by fire02red a Racer from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, fits very well, looks great, buckle works perfect. couldnt ask for much better

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
if you want a great shoe, i dont think you can beat this for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Swope Park

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   shimanos

Bike Setup:   rockhopper single speed 29er

Submitted by kustomz a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffer footbed than previous versions of the Comp and the newer sole design has less chances for fall engagement. The Body Geometry design works well for me.

Weaknesses:    Tongue seems to move around a bit, though it may settle in as it conforms to my foot.

Bottom Line:
Specialized Comp shoes work very well for the investment and offer many years of use. The Comp desin has evolved over the years and seems to receive trickle down technology from higher end models as time goes on.

Favorite Trail:   SLT

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Previous versions of Specialized Comp.

Bike Setup:   '02 Gary Fisher Supercal 29

Submitted by Bikerbert a Racer from Mountain View ,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    fit, comfort, body geometry, lightweight, can be worn off the bike.

Weaknesses:    STUPID BUCKLE SYSTEM! I broke the right one a few weeks ago, and for some reason Specialized is out of the right one as is every store near my house that sells the shoes. Lucky me EVERYONE needs a right buckle. A pair of needle nosed pliers will get you in the shoe, but the heck wants to do this????

The buckles get a little tricky after a little while, and its tough to get out of the shoe.

Bottom Line:
good shoe, get extra buckles! It would get five chills fir value and overall, but they expensive and I WANT THE RIGHT BUCKLE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   baseballbert@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   The Off Ramp

Similar Products Used:   Other specialized shoes

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance

Submitted by CJ a Racer from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2006

Strengths:    -Well ventilated
-Straps stay put
-Decent grip when off the bike

Weaknesses:    -Hot spots galore
-Soles disintegrate FAST in hike-a-bike conditions
-Upper is not very comfortable leading to foot fatigue

Bottom Line:
These shoes are just OK. I decided to save a buck by going for these over my tried and true Sidi's that I'd been using for years and now wish I would have just spent the extra coin to reel in the much better Sidi shoe.

This is actually my second pair of these shoes becuase the first set literally disintegrated within one month of purchasing them. I did a couple of big rides with a fair amount of hike-a-bike over rather technical terrain with the first set and was amazed to take a look at my shoes and see that about 80% of the tread had either chunked off completely, was hanging on by a thread or was cracked and ready to go at any time; it was like nothing I've ever seen.

To be fair, Specialized did replace these with a new pair immediately and, to their credit, the second pair that I have (the ones that I'm currently using) have held up fairly well.

Unfortunately, poor soles isn't the only thing wrong with these shoes. While they aren't terribly uncomfortable, they do cause toe pain, hot spots and foot fatigue when spending hours in the saddle (frequent for me).

All in all, I would not tell anyone NOT to buy these - especially if you're looking to step up to a ratched closure system on a budget - however, if you're going to spend a lot of time in the saddle, I would save some extra money and buy a set of Sidis.

I'll give these three torched terds for value since they're priced fairly well and two for overall since they just aren't great.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi

Submitted by Devin D a Cross Country Rider from Folsom

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    Great lightweight design, durable and tough yet comfortable. Very breathable...

Weaknesses:    Very Breathable. If it's raining or wet, your feet will get wet. But I don't mountain bike cause I'm a whiner...so it's not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
(05 Specialized Comp MTB Shoes)

These shoes are the bomb. I really like the feel of them and how performance oriented they are. Really lightweight and strong. If you have messed up knees they might go either way. The angle of them are perfect for me...

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus in Folsom

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive and Cannondale Rush 1000

Submitted by Blair Calvert a Cross Country Rider from Melbounre,VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    Tough shoe, secure fit, stiff base but not to slippery on hard surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Water tends to pool inside the shoe when raining

Bottom Line:
Great shoes, I've had these for about 15mths now, and apart from the usual scratches and scuffs they're still going strong. These are my first pair of clip-in shoes so nothing to compare against, but so I'm pretty happy.
I'd recommend these shoes to anyone looking for a tough, good quality shoe for primarily cross-country use, but also good on the asphalt.

Favorite Trail:   Beechworth MTB Park & surrounds