Specialized BG Trail 120 SL Shoes

• Umma Gumma rubber outsole
  • Water-resistant Micromatrix upper

Submitted by mblangbehn a Cross Country Rider from Tenino, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    light, stiff, very comfortable, can take a beating, clears mud well

Weaknesses:    List price is pretty crazy

Bottom Line:
Juat picked these up early this spring and they are without exception the best riding shoe I have ever used. They're listed as a trail shoe but I could race in these no problem at all. All Mountain riding in Western Washington State is pretty extreem no matter what time of the year and these shoes have held up to all of it. I'm not sure how warm they would be below freezing(haven't had the chance to test below that yet)but they're great in anything over it and keep you dry as well. The mud here can be crazy but these shoes clean up very easy. The size is just about right on. I thought they might run a little small at first but now having abused them a while they've broken in perfectly. I highly recomend these shoes to anyone that is into all mountain riding, the performance and protection is un-beatable. I would not have initially paid the $210.00 list price but now that I have ridden in them for a while I absoultely would.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Capitol Forrest

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Shimano, Nike

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot, Cross Ride wheels, XT deraillures, 130mm Manitou fork, M525 Hydro Brakes, race face cranks

Submitted by CDA MTBer a Weekend Warrior from CDA, ID USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    light weight, stiff, good protection, durability, good traction on all types of surface from mud to rock.

Weaknesses:    Ridicously Way over priced! MSRP is a complete rip off. Specialized and every other manufacture out there needs to get in touch with reality on pricing from clothing, parts and bikes the prices just flat out suck.

Bottom Line:
other than the price these shoes rock! They have held up to abuse for over one year and show none of the previously mentioned problems. If you can get these shoes at a blow out sale I would highly recommend buying them which is why I am only giving them 4 flamin chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Many....hmmm

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport

Similar Products Used:   Other specialized shoes, shimano shoes, cheap Nashbar shoes, SIDI shoes

Bike Setup:   set up to ride fast up and downhill.

Submitted by string a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good traction when off the bike and not clipped in

Weaknesses:    Downside to good traction is the soft rubber sole does not last. Lost the 1st lug with in a month of use and have lost several more over the years. Shoe Goo helped extend the life of these shoes

Bottom Line:
Decent fit, I really like the grip of the rubber used, but it comes at a significant cost in durability. The tread tears off at the base and I do not spend much time on rocky terrain.

If they were half the price or lasted longer would give 5 chili's, but since I have been repeatedly gluing the tread back to the sole I am less than impressed.

Spec' is on the right tract with this shoe, just not there yet.

Purchased At:   Spec

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominators

Bike Setup:   Knolly Delirium T

Submitted by Pin a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    Warm (I'm a girl!),almost waterproof, really comfy even first ride

Weaknesses:    Bit of wear on the rubber, maybe I need to get better at riding uphill!

Bottom Line:
Very pleased!

Favorite Trail:   Peak District Hope to Ladybower

Purchased At:   Evans Cycle Warehous

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara 07 13" frame, extra long seat post (I'm 5'4") Shimano Deore /LX inc discs

Submitted by 770nbp a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    LIGHT, STIFF, GOOD FIT FOR NARROW FOOT, GREAT ANKLE SUPPORT, GREAT TO WALK IN BUT I DONT DO THAT OFTEN!

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR

Bottom Line:
AWESOME SHOES.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   eBAY

Similar Products Used:   SIDI BULLETS AND DOMINATORS

Bike Setup:   XC/AM

Submitted by latoks a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    light,comfortable,stiff,ankle protection

Weaknesses:    The sole is made from putty!After 1 week in the Pyrenees there was nothing left of the sole,it had totally disintergrated.Stitching had come away,not tough enough to be called a trail shoe.

Bottom Line:
Shoes have been sent back to Specialized,awaiting verdict.A very comfortable shoe but not up to the job.Have had a pair of North Wave shoes for 5 years which are in a better condition.

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   North wave,Shimano

Bike Setup:   07 heckler

Submitted by biker man a Weekend Warrior from CDA, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    light, solid sole with fact carbon, well made, fits to size, 4 strap velco adjustability, ankle protection, sticky rubber tread

Weaknesses:    Retail price is rediculous. I was lucky and bought these on a inventory liquidation sale and got them for a screaming deal.

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed the shoes so far. They fit great and are extremely stiff when peddling. Mud and water don't seem to affect there performance. Hike a bike sections are good as the tread grips most surfaces well and there is little heel lift. If you can find these bad boys on sale I would highly recommend them. The only shoe lighter listed in the 2008 catalog is the s-works. But $200+ bones for a biking shoe....give us a break Specialized. I would give this shoe 5 flamin chilis but the price is crazy so I gave it an overall 4

Favorite Trail:   Any trail with dirt and single track

Purchased At:   wheel sports

Similar Products Used:   other specialized shoes and shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR, xtr drive train, chris king headset, chris king hubs, dt swiss rims, shimano peddles, fox suspension front and back, Juicy carbon hydraulic brakes

Submitted by wade holiday from truckee, CA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2007

Strengths:    light, stiff, great protection

Bottom Line:
after the velcro finally gave way on my sidis, I really wanted a 3/4 shoe. I liked the look of this one as it was had the protection and stabilty that I wanted in a light shoe. I have not been disappointed, they are great. Walking and quick dismounts are more secure and the toe protection is also great. they aren't the glovelike fit of sidi, but i'm already bonding w/ the fit and appreciate the other things they bring to the table.

Purchased At:   bike emporium

Similar Products Used:   10 yrs on sidi dominator

Submitted by Joshua Easterling a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Very firm sole and extra support and protection. Very durable, thought they would die but keep on kicking only wear in the sole.

Weaknesses:    A little bit warmer (strength and weakness) But never unbearable

Bottom Line:
These shoes are awsome.Yes they are exspensive, but if I remember right they are hand made. Looking forward to another pair, rock solid. The body geometry aligning foot beds are comfy and do contribute to more efficiency and less fatigue. I have been hard on them and they feel the same a year later, wished they smelled that way too.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bycicle village

Bike Setup:   Chumba xcl, Santa cruz nomad

Submitted by Kosmo a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    Fit, Stiffness, Rubber lugs, no Buckle, Lightweight, Support and protection

Weaknesses:    Too early to tell but, they might get hot in very warm weather. Color choices.

Bottom Line:
These are the first shoes, actually boots, I've had without buckles in a long time. For now the four velcro straps are really secure, we'll see over time how they hold up. Yes this is an early review so take it for what it is, an impression of how these boots perform without looking down the road too far. Although this is my third pair of specialized shoes and was very happy with the other two.
First of all they have a carbon sole that is very stiff and transfers power instantly to the pedals. The umma gumma lugs are noticably softer than my other shoes. More like hiking boots like I used to wear before there were clipless pedals for MTBs. I wish there were more choices of high performance boots out there. If you ride challenging terrain there are times when you have to get off and hike. These boots are alot more stable than the shoes that have a racing pedigree. I tried on the new BG Carbon Pro(nice shoes) at the same time. They both fit equally as well, and should, they share the same last.
These boots probably aren't for everyone, but if your looking for performance, comfort, and stability in a shoe than get them.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Shimano, Lakes

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux w/ m970s

Submitted by tim gaylord a Cross Country Rider from redondo beach CA usa

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great comfort for mt foot. Incredible support on the bike and pretty comfortable off the bike. STIFF carbon sole does a great job.

Weaknesses:    The rubber outer sole comes off from the carbon midsole in large chucks.

Bottom Line:
I used the shoes for all of the different types of riding that I do. They are super comfortable and the stiffness makes my sidis seem soft. They transfer more power to the pedal and they are light and the rubber sole is sticky when walking. And therein lies the rub: the rubber sole is too soft and/or it can't hold the carbon sole well enough. When I first lost a chunk of rubber from the heel, I figured it was just a fluke. Later, more came off until I returned the shoes for a new pair. I mean, 200 dollars for a pair of shoes, they had better hold up. On the NEXT ride, my freehub blew up and I was forced to walk uphill for maybe 100 yards. It felt like the shoe was slipping a bit, so when I got back to the car, I checked the soles. Sure enough, a chunk was missing, this time from the toe. We'll see if specialized has a solution for me...

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   Path

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, old specialized black and red shoes

Bike Setup:   Ibis silk ti, spec enduro, VP free

Submitted by stripes a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, California

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent shoe. I love the way the Specialized BG shoes fit my pronating feet. Very little break-in time needed (only a couple of rides). Extremely good power transfer.

These shoes are great for SPDs, even with the 647s. I thought I would need to cut away some of the sole, but it wasn't necessary.

Weaknesses:    Price, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Other than being on the expensive side, these shoes are excellent if they fit your foot and you pronate. I'll be putting them away for the winter though while I give the platform pedals a try. I do expect to go back to clipless though because I can really feel the power transfer with these shoes and pedal combo.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, China Camp, Saratoga Gap

Similar Products Used:   Older BG Specialized shoes, various Shimano shoes that don't fit my feet right.

Bike Setup:   I don't think it really matters, but here is the important part: Shimano PD-647s. The rest of it is blue and goes fast :-)

Submitted by Kodiak a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    No (real) weaknesses
great fit, very comfy, walkable, protective, very light, stable, breatheable...
available in size 48 (which i have to use)

Weaknesses:    lack of Color choices, specializeds' best shoes deserve a little more color than a simple grey...

Bottom Line:
The BEST shoes you can get, even for 180 euros...
...if you like your heels being protected...
...and even if you don't you will like them...

Purchased At:   Bike Store, Germany