Specialized BG Taho Shoes

• 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern
  • Padded Body Geometry insole

Submitted by mark min

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, reasonably stiff, reasonable to walk on. Excellent all-rounder.

Weaknesses:    Can get steamy in hot conditions.

Bottom Line:
Had mine since 2005. Used for riding a recumbent and road & touring bikes; c.50km/day every day in all kinds of weather, except deep snow. I've occasionally changed around the footbeds, but still have the originals. The shoes look a little scuffed here'n'there, and there's a small rip on the inside of the heels, but nothing that stops them working well. The rubber sole around the cleats has worn down, but the shoes are still functional. These have been my only shoe since 2005. I have no complaints. I wash them out every now and then, so they're not stinky. I've worn them on extended tours where they've endured riding through extensive flood waters and in very hot & humid conditions. They've done well. They're stretchy enough to accommodate thicker socks when necessary and stiff enough to transfer power for me. I have no idea how they'd go walking up and down rough trails, but they've served well on Australian roads, paths, and indoor areas, as well as Asian roads &c. They appear to be made of real suede and some synthetic materials. If you lace them with a fancy-nancy lace pattern that locks in place, you can adjust them easily to the contour of your foot and the velcro cover keeps the laces out of the way. Not as easy as velcro, but probably more robust in the long run. Great shoes for me; they may be great shoes for you. I wish they made them in a lighter color, or with a more open side panel for hotter conditions, but then they may not be as robust. I am only now replacing/supplementing them with a stiffer road-style shoe as I'm touring less and am after a more solid platform.

Submitted by Westford a Weekend Warrior from Westford,ma, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, bomb proof for new eng elements

Bottom Line:
Had this shoe since 2001!!! While I list myself as weekend warrior, let me tell you that I ride a min of ten miles an outing, usually more in all kinds of conditions, including some light snow riding early spring and race a few times a year and this shoe has taken it all. Glad I opted out of the over 100$ shoe group! I am recently replacing this with another Tahoe since I just tore the side of the outer fabric and don't want to chance it...just spray the suckers after each ride so they don't smell narly.

Favorite Trail:   Fells

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC PRO

Submitted by u35828 a Weekend Warrior from Evanston IL

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    I don't have to walk like a duck, and my heel doesn't feel like it's about to pop out when pedaling or walking.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I will have to see if I'm still enamored over them after doing a century.

Bottom Line:
This shoe would be appropriate gear for a cyclotourist or recreational cyclist, given that walking would be involved rather heavily for those class of riders.

I find that the shoes are comfortable to wear while on or off the bike. The toe box is generously sized; in the size 42s, my toes don't feel squished.

One nice touch is the the velcro strap that goes over the top; it does a great job in helping keep my feet secure in the shoe without too much fuss.

The cutout for the cleat is wide enough for an SPD-style cleat. For this application, I used the Shimano SH-51 single-release variety.

Favorite Trail:   Asphalt

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets, 30

Similar Products Used:   An 11 year-old pair of Lake cycling/hiking shoes. The sole was separating from the shoe, which necessitated the replacement with the Tahoes.

Bike Setup:   2007 Gunnar Roadie with Campy Veloce 10 (compact crank)

Submitted by michael573114 a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, velcro over laces, decent treads

Weaknesses:    had to repair the sole

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great. They're very comfortable on or off the trail (I wore them around a weekend when my other shoes got soaked). I love the velcro to keep the laces out of the way, and like the laces better than I'd like velcro straps. The soles have decent treads for when you need to hike a bit. They're nice and stiff so you transfer lots of the power to the pedals.

I did have to repair the sole on one with some shoe goo, it ripped a bit next to the cleat. Not a big deal, it took me 10 minutes and about $5 to repair it. But I've had them since 2006 and they're still otherwise in perfect shape.

I'd buy them again for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Paragon, Shimano SPD-540 pedals

Submitted by Jimicarl a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable. Durable. Great for walking

Weaknesses:    Sole is soft enough that it will tear on rocks. Tread is shallow enough to be a bit slick in mud.

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend these shoes to anyone other than hard-core MTB racers, extremely aggressive pushers, or those who live on their bikes day-after-day. We're trail-riders. 95% singe-track off-road. Weekend warriors in the winter, ride several times a week when the days are longer, and take a couple riding vacations every year. We tend to walk when it get's uber steep in either direction, or the rocks are particularly sharp. Nothing lasts forever - but these shoes have outlasted my dirability expectations and continue to be one of the best biking purchases I've ever made. Will probably go to another pair whenever my current shoes finally give it up.

Favorite Trail:   Lemish Lake Loop

Purchased At:   Hutch's (local store

Similar Products Used:   Variety of similar shoes

Bike Setup:   GT & Marin full-sus, Salsa hardtail, all w/SPD

Submitted by lazybeaner a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,CA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    good grip on the trail, not too stiff. Doesnt look like a "Race" shoe.

Weaknesses:    material breaks down, the body geometry sole makes my feet go numb.

Bottom Line:
Really wanted to like these shoes, but the BG sole just did not work for me and would make my feet go numb (like they fell asleep).

Im also a little disappointed in the material, my 6 year old Answers that have seen 2X the mileage are in better shape.

Similar Products Used:   OLd pair of Answer shoes, shimano M086l.

Bike Setup:   Nomad, and a cummuter road bike.

Submitted by Dycker a Cross Country Rider from Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    great everyday looking shoe, great for hiking, seems stiff enough for long rides

Weaknesses:    Shoes are built like crap! After the second ride the fabric on the sides of the shoes had ripped, the rip is not considered a manufacters defect so warranty was not available so I repaired with some glue. After day 2 of a 3 day race, the rubber sole had a 3 inch tear which I could fit 3 fingers through into the shoe

Bottom Line:
This is a great shoe for casual riding but when it comes to cross country epics ... STAY AWAY!

Favorite Trail:   Bow80

Purchased At:   Bicycle Cafe

Bike Setup:   2008 Stumpy Expert

Submitted by Waterat Pat a Cross Country Rider from MorganHill CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Super Comfortable decent weight excellent for hike a bike action as the sole actually flexes

Weaknesses:    Did not last sole cracked at the cleat.

Bottom Line:
Just wished they had lasted as I liked them. To add insult to injury I pitched em in disgust and later found out that Specialized knows about this defect and will give you a new pair if you bring them back broken.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'Em

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   Old specialized Rockhoppers that I am now using again.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT Fox all around 650B up front.

Submitted by slobikerat a Weekend Warrior from san luis obispo, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, comfortable, walkable, hikeable, look good, good cafe shoes

Weaknesses:    hard to clean, laces frayed quickly

Bottom Line:
I really like these shoes. I ride to school, commute, ride fire roads, some moderate single track, a little XC and some cyclocross with these and they have held up to everything very well. Not the stiffest shoe by any means but man are they comfortable. They dont click when walking around in them (crank brothers cleats installed), look pretty sharp under a pair of decent jeans when going to the coffee shop, and dont look super goofy when wearing shorts. If you are a "strictly for fun" type of rider or a commuter these shoes fit the bill. Mine probably have close to 2k miles and they are going strong, i expect to get another 2k out of them. Mine came with garbage laces but that was quickly fixed. I liked that i did not have to trim the soles on these! Solid recreational shoe!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere my cross bike takes me

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Kona jake the snake, full ultegra, 40C Marathon tires, crank brothers candy's

Submitted by 92gli a Weekend Warrior from west chester,pa

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    Comfy to walk in.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Not suited for serious riding. Sole flex will kill your feet on a serious ride.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great for what they are - a casual shoe to wear when you're riding your bike over to a friends house for beers or going to class at school.
I made the mistake of wearing these on a 3 hour ride because my other shoes were in my wife's trunk. My feet were killing me. I suppose if you used these with a pedal that has a large body that could support your foot then it would be ok - but not with the shim. 540's I use.

Submitted by Mr. Dirt a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, MN

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great fit and very comfortable from day one.

Weaknesses:    The loops for the laces have failed on two pairs in a row. Along with the leather coming undone on the heal of the right shoe.

Bottom Line:
I wish they would just hold up better because the fit and comfort even when riding all day it great. I am going to return this second pair and upgrade or something.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Eriks Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet 1000 with Crankbrothers Mallets.

Submitted by natertots_cc a Cross Country Rider from Juda, WI

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Easy walking in, reasonably light.

Weaknesses:    For narly trails, not enough grip on the bottom, and not too good in sloppy mud!

Bottom Line:
They are an awesome shoe. I used them in Colorado and they were really durable with the rocks and stuff. but when i got back to Wisconsin they were not too good in the mud! But they have a nice to flex feature so they are easier to walk in but yet deliver a pretty decent stiff sloe for the money! Recommend these to anybody who does not plan on riding in A LOT of mud!

Favorite Trail:   Joes ridge

Purchased At:   Eriks Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Other specialized shoes!

Submitted by abenz1980 a Cross Country Rider from Golden,co

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing durability, breathable, looks good on off bike,

Weaknesses:    NONE!!

Bottom Line:
These shoes are absolutely amazing, they have held up after 3.5 yrs of CONSTANT use. I mountain bike in these every weekend, road bike in them,use these for commuting to work daily, gotten completely soaked on multiple rides and still are in excellent shape. I am looking for another pair of these currently, and a little disappointed that the same color scheme isnt available. ( I have the hiker brown). These are also really comfy to walk around town in, all day.
I cant say it enough, I love these shoes.

I have never been disappointed with anything I have ever owned with the word SPECIALIZED on them!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Apex park

Purchased At:   Big Shark Bikes Stl,

Similar Products Used:   Lake shoes in simialr price range

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis Dakar XLT, manitou nixon eilte fork, manitou swinger shock, avid bb7 brakes, shimano xt drivetrain

Submitted by Allan H a Weekend Warrior from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2009

Strengths:    Good power transfer for a semi rigid sole, excellent for walking/hiking. Tie up fine and a good fit.

Weaknesses:    Could do with toe spike option. The leather is starting to go hard on the outside/strap.

Bottom Line:
I think that they are worth every penny and offer the usual value for money as most specialized clothing does.
They are great for all day riding and I have used them through a wet and dirty british winter and 2 summers even worse than the winters. They wash up and scrub up fine. even though the leather is getting hard on the outside, the inner is fine. I think that they have got another year left in them. I have been looking for a new pair of shoes with stiffer soles but cannot find anything that looks half as durable for all day riding. Maybe I should stick with spesh!!

Favorite Trail:   Yorks Moors/Dales