Specialized BG Sport Shoes

• Body Geometry technology
  • Secure fitting 3 strap Velcro closure

Submitted by Veda a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Perfect fit to my foot. Loose ankle area provides quicker pedaling and response. Nice styling

Weaknesses:    Lining up the cleat angle is a bit tough due to the ribbed sides that makes the cleat teeth not biting deep enough into the sole. So when I turn the screw hard the cleat also turns messing up the angle.

Bottom Line:
I got this at 50% off so it's definitely a good buy, but if I have to pay full price I'd probably get a Mavic again instead. The body geometry fit is awesome... actually it's perfect but the material quality is below the Mavic standard. Let's see how long this shoes hold up against offroad abuse. Many people below are complaining of the durability...

Purchased At:   Spez distributor

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Shimano, Exustar, Mavic shoes

Bike Setup:   XTR + Xpedo cleat pedals

Submitted by Scottay715 a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, US

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2010

Strengths:    Look cool. Substantially cheaper than other mtb shoes.

Weaknesses:    Durability. The stitching began to break apart and come loose at several spots. Also, the leather on the toe scuffed and finally tore open to expose the plastic.

Bottom Line:
I dont know why these shoes got such good reviews. I've only ridden them 10 or 12 times and they are already coming apart. We'll see if the torn threads eventually cause the shoe to come apart completely.

Favorite Trail:   Swope Park, Kansas City, MO

Purchased At:   Bike Source, Lees Su

Similar Products Used:   None. First pair of mtb shoes.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign.

Submitted by Boogie Man?s Nightmare a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    comfort, durability, breathability

Weaknesses:    tougher sole would be better

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable and for-pedaling made shoes thanx to BG. A wider upper closure strap would improve fit. I would appreciate tougher sole but this is the basic shoes, so for tough sole go for a higher model.

Similar Products Used:   very old SPD shoes

Bike Setup:   RB Monster AM, Marzocchi AM1 SL with Fox Vanilla R shock, Syncros cockpit, Elixir CR, Sram X7, Syncros Rims with DT Swiss hubs

Submitted by trek6000rr a Cross Country Rider from st.louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable, durable, excellent feel/confidence/conection with spd pedals.

Weaknesses:    soles can be slippery in rain, tricky to engage until broken in due to the thickness of the sole around the cleat.

Bottom Line:
this is my first set of clippless shoes and i can't praise them enough.

Favorite Trail:   all of castlewood

Purchased At:   sunset cyclery

Similar Products Used:   DC's on platforms

Bike Setup:   '09 TREK 6000

Submitted by 92gli a Cross Country Rider from west chester,pa

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Weaknesses:    Velcro straps not made well.

Bottom Line:
I was just at my local dealer looking to purchase these shoes to replace the rockhopper shoes I've been wearing for years. When trying them on I pulled one of the velcro straps and the velcro completely separated from the fake leather material of the strap. All of the stitching just ripped right out. This is a single row stitch all around the straps with no glue or anything for support - pretty crappy construction to say the least.
When I compared this to the straps on the Comp shoe I noticed that the comp straps are a heavier rubber-like material with the velcro fused to it - a much more durable solution. Needless to say, I just spent the extra money on the comp shoes.

Submitted by eorozco23 a Cross Country Rider from Juarez, Chih, Mex

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Great price for an "entry level" shoe, durability, after 3 years of ab-use the sole started to fall apart, stiff sole

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money, anyone looking for a good shoe for weekend rides and some afternoon weekday ride will not be dissapointed. Very durable shoe. As comfortable as a cycling shoe can be. Specialized BG concept is something goood! I raced a couple of times with them and didn't had an issue, but if I raced more I would be looking for mid-level or high-end shoes. Definitely recommend this shoes.

Purchased At:   Crazy Cat

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel Ex 5.5

Submitted by beereppc a Racer from Hamilton

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Fit, comfort, durability, looks, price

Bottom Line:
These shoes are so comfortable I usually dont notice that I am wearing them. I have done plenty of races in them and never had any issues (also saw plenty of other racers wearing them) Sure this is supposedly an entry level product but it is a solid, high performance shoe that is extremely comfortable AND durable. Get these and you'll be satisfied, as well as saving money in the process

Purchased At:   Pieriks Cycle

Similar Products Used:   various shimano, diadora

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 100, xtr/xt dual control drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, selle italia slr saddle, american classic wheels, crankbrother candy sl pedals

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Harrisburg, PA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Strengths:    Breathable, durable, comfortable, and relatively cheap!

Weaknesses:    Velcro straps stretch after a while.

Bottom Line:
Great all around purchase!

Favorite Trail:   Fawn Kill

Purchased At:   Trailz End Mulstisport and Bicycle Shop

Submitted by Deme Moore a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY, a helluva town...

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    Great price, breezy mesh venting and did I mention the great price? Sole is stiff enough to do the job without losing support and I weigh 220. Lugs hold on dirt well when walking the bike. Not that I would ever do that! ;)

Weaknesses:    Not a race fit, a little loose which hardcore riders might find limiting their power stroke. For sport use this is not a concern. REALLY annoying paper sticker on heel part of insole. Sticky part stays behind and catches fuzzies! Why?

Mesh galore means your feet will get wet and cold if you try running in those condition. So don't and maybe get a pair of something else for inclement weather.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't wear these for a race day when every little bit counts, but then again I don't race. The mesh construction and straps don't cinch down and lock you in like a race shoe (despite proper fit). OTOH I definately enjoy the comfort on the weekend rides.

Purchased At:   Specialized Online

Similar Products Used:   Too many to remember, but I do remember how overpriced and crappy the Nikes were that I once bought!

Bike Setup:   Treks galore.

Submitted by Ed W a Cross Country Rider from Helena, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great performance over four years now. Velcro still strong, stitching still holding up. Great ventilation on the top for summer heat, but becomes a problem in the cold without booties.

Weaknesses:    none performance or durability wise. Close inspection shows some stress cracks in the sole around where the shoe rides on the spindle, but I feel no flexing while pedaling. Hardly a weakness to show some wear after four seasons of heavy use.

Bottom Line:
Great budget performance shoe. Has held up very well. Wish it had more bells and whistles like a ratchet or exposed carbon fiber for a bit more cool factor. But there is another price range for that.

Purchased At:   Great Divide Cyclery, Helena

Similar Products Used:   none, this is still my first clipless shoe after 4 years.

Bike Setup:   Specialized stumpjumper

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    For an entry level shoe:
1. Very well made - durable
2. Plenty stiff
3. Good breathability
4. Among the largest toe boxes out there for wide feet

Weaknesses:    For an entry level shoe there's not much
1. Color scheme can vary from store to store
2. There are stiffer soles to be found

Bottom Line:
The shoes are well made, found at lots of LBSs so warranty issues can be easier to deal with, and the toe box is among the roomiest which is a godsend for those of us with very wide feet. They're reliable and cheap enough to replace if something happens. They're comfortable if sized correctly. I haven't used very many other cycling shoes and I don't see the need to. I even have the road version which is just as good. I don't think they are significantly better than any other decent shoe company out there but other shoe companies also don't have a cheaper line of shoes with which to compare. Hands down, for the money, they are a fantastic product that yields ground to no one.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe.

Submitted by Iwan Kemp a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable
Breaths
BG
Stiff
3 Velcro Straps that HOLD
Grip when walking/running

Bottom Line:
I believe these to offer the best balance of value for money, durable, comfortable of most MTB shoes. Even for a lot more money. Not sure the Comp upgrade is worth the plenty extra $$$ considering what you get with these. I will definately buy another pair once these go - which won't be soon.

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville, Knysna

Purchased At:   Willie Engelbrecht Lifestyle Centre

Bike Setup:   Titus Moto-lite II with SRAM, Chris King, KCNC, Avid, RockShox,DT Swiss,Kenda...

Submitted by Conner a Cross Country Rider from Eden, Utah

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    very ligh, breathable, very Conferrable

Bottom Line:
these shoes are the best

Favorite Trail:   Ogden Bench

Bike Setup:   07 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Submitted by Brandon a Racer from Wilmington, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    Price, BG concept, design, durability

Weaknesses:    Makes my feet numb, customer service

Bottom Line:
As a low-income cyclocross racer, the concept of this shoe seemed great. The BG technology really appealed to me, especially after wearing so many Italian designed shoes for so long. Unfortunatly, I am not satisfied. The shoes seem fine and comfy untill I'm out riding with them. I'm not sure if it's just my particular foot (which I don't think has anything unusual) but after 30 min. to an hour of riding my feet get numb. This isn't the tingling "falling asleep" feeling. I find myself constantly snapping out of the pedals to shake the blood back into my feet. It may just be my foot type, but for that reason I don't reccomend this product. In addition to that, I had a lot of problems with the customer-service when ordering online. The online store ended up charging me for three pairs, and two of them ended up in shipment to my house. I refused the package and sent it back, but it was only after 15 phonecalls and 2 months that they ended up putting the money back on my credit card.

Submitted by Daniel from Milwaukee, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent fit, construction, function and nice looks too. Enough mesh to keep the breathe-ability great.

Weaknesses:    Mesh is going to be nice in Summer, but now the shoes are a little on the cold side. Booties are recommended.

Bottom Line:
Can't miss. I love them.

Purchased At:   Erik's Bikes, Madison

Similar Products Used:   Nike's that were junk.

MTB Bg Comp vs Sport Shoes?????

I need to start looking into a new pair of shoes, and have heard great things about the Specialized models. What is the difference between the Sport & Comp shoes besides the buckle vs velcro? And about $50.00? Lol Is the buckle more secure? Any chance of it breaking? Thank you! ChrisRead More »