Specialized BG Comp Shoes

• Engineered MicroMatrix synthetic leather
  • Patented Body Geometry outsole & footbed design

Submitted by agrntluf a Weekend Warrior from McLean

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, lightweight, ventilation

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Stitching in shoes started coming loose almost immediately. Ratchet straps seemed to get scuffed up requiring replacement. Plastic cleats on bottom break off eventually. Specialized should stick to making frames.

Favorite Trail:   VA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Pearl Izumi

Submitted by westeast a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Fit. I like the whole BG concept and angled sole.

Weaknesses:    Durability. Buckle.

Bottom Line:
Shoe fit very well, but the buckle was a little finicky and the big downer was when the plastic strap broke in a place that renders a good shoe now worthless. The higher end models allow you to replace this strap, but I can't on this model. I also do not like that Specialized has gone to the whole 1 brand style shop.

Favorite Trail:   Toads

Similar Products Used:   Sidi

Bike Setup:   Tail/AM

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    wide toe box with secure heel = best fit for me
BG foot bed increased my power and relieved knee pain
light, look great, fair price

Weaknesses:    durability
clips can jam and break off easy
tread can interfere with some pedals

Bottom Line:
Hands down best fit ever for my wide feet with stubby toes! My heal doesn't slip as the cup is very well shaped, yet my toes can wiggle and the sides of my foot don't cramp. Also, the Body Geometry tilted foot bed feels so natural and was such an improvement to the alignment of my pedal stroke. I would get knee pain on long climbs before; now I'm pain free with a much more even load and more power transmitted downward. Even if these shoes aren't for you, try putting the BG replacement soles in your shoes of choice!
I was trying out Crank Bros Candy pedals when I first got these shoes and had to trim some of the tread to get it to engage properly. I've since gone back to SPDs and they have no issues (I wish I had not trimmed the little I did as they would be more stable on the SPDs if I left them alone).
I have broken off 4 of these clips (the red "release" tab on the older models) while riding when I struck a rock. At first I had to order the replacements through the Specialized website ($$), but my local dealer has since started stocking the newly designed white replacement clip. I have not broke any of the newer design in the 2 years plus I've had them on. They also release easier, but can still get jammed with dried mud.
You can hurt the top of your foot if you over tighten the strap. For this reason, along with the finicky clips, I might try the triple velcro version when I replace these.
The toes began to separate from the sole after 2 years, but I've kept them rolling with Shoe Goop for another 2 years.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Shimano beginner shoes with laces (heavy!),
tried on mid priced Shimano, Sidi, Pearl Izumi and Adidas

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail, ridden all mountain (shoes ridden on rented downhill bikes too).

Submitted by sulhogar a Cross Country Rider from Saratoga Springs, NY

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Shoe fits comfortably. There's no excessive rubbing, and after a 40 mile trail ride through mud, rock gardens, and roots, my feet still didn't hurt.

Weaknesses:    Durability and price point are a strong factor in this negative review.

Bottom Line:
I'm so disappointed by the durability of these shoes that I can't recommend purchasing them to anyone. The fact that they fit great, look stylish, and cause no foot pain or numbing in my feet makes it even harder to say no to these. The shoes simply can't hold up to any sort of a beating. If you down your bike as much as I do (because you're just beginning) then purchase a cheaper and more durable shoe. One snag on your large chainring and you'll lose a strap right off the shoe. My lower toe strap is hanging on by about 1cm of synthetic leather right now.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Entry Level '05 Hardrock Sport Disc with eggbeater pedals, upgraded cassette, stock everything else.

Submitted by Evan Flaherty a Cross Country Rider from houston, texas, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    tough exterior construction. stiff when I need them to be. breathes well.

Weaknesses:    ratchet strap across top of my foot cuts off circulation so I usually ride without it latched at all. Maybe my feet got bigger and they just don't fit anymore lol.

Bottom Line:
I like the design but hate the straps. top strap is too short to latch most of the time

Favorite Trail:   road

Similar Products Used:   first pair of bike shoes I've owned

Bike Setup:   trek 1k '06

Submitted by djf500 a Weekend Warrior from Paoli, PA USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    I like the Specialized BG fit. These shoes are light enough, stiff, and OK to walk in when needed. They also vent well. I've been very happy with their performance on short & long rides alike.

Weaknesses:    Owned 2 pairs of these. Both have lasted 2 summers (I'm East Coast so different shoes for the winter). The 1st pair tore at the mesh due to an obstacle on the trail. However, the 2nd pair the buckle strap is tearing off of the flap the hold the top strap in place. This will make the shoes useless.

Bottom Line:
Good shoes but questionable quality. Why spend $100-140 ever two years for shoes? Is that the life span of all mtb shoes? My buddy has had the same pair of Sidi Dominators for 10 years so maybe I'll invest in those and get my roi in a few yeras.

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Submitted by plepak a Cross Country Rider from somers ct

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    they come in wide for my big wide feet

Weaknesses:    buckle & strap

Bottom Line:
The wide width is definitely a plus but they just dont work for me . The strap is what bothers me the most. It digs in to the top of my ankle. the fit is OK but I would not say they are comfortable.Want to replace the buckle and strap with sidi if possible. Read you could but it doesnt look like the sidi strap will screw in to the shoe.

Favorite Trail:   rocky

Similar Products Used:   sidi dominator

Bike Setup:   why ?

Submitted by adventureboy27 a Cross Country Rider from bend

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    -great fit, snug but not tight
-supportive for my foot
-i like the angle it allows for peddle power

Weaknesses:    -buckle is finicky
-perhaps a little breathy for colder temps, walked through snow and felt damp pretty fast

Bottom Line:
i like this shoe a lot and have put close to 75 miles on them since i bought them last week. people mention the buckle as a recurring point of focus. the trick for me is to engage the release mechanism and then just apply pressure up and away from the strap, like you are trying to push through it. it instantly releases. i do not know if this is gonna be bad for the strap in the long run, but it has suited me just fine

Favorite Trail:   anything i'm riding

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   '97 mongoose nx 7.3 pro, reba sl, sram x9 rear, xtr front, srx hallowtech crankset, egg beater peddles

Submitted by BikeSwan a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    - Looks discreet
- Not too expensive

Weaknesses:    - Looks cheaper than how much you pay
- Cheap materials
- Lots of pressure points

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this shoe as it is uncomfortable, expensive for what it is, and just isnt as good as the equivalent Shimano or Sidi. After a week I took them back and have now purchased a pair of Shimano SH-M161G Shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Sporting Life

Similar Products Used:   I haven't used something this bad

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Aluminum / Race Face Next SL / Shimano XTR / DT Swiss / Mavic

Submitted by Geoff a Racer from Western Washington

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Strengths:    Great shoe for the price. Comfortable for long rides. Durable (not including the buckle) in the mud and wet.

Weaknesses:    BUCKLE BUCKLE BUCKLE. My last pair of SIDIs lasted me 12 years and I only had to replace one buckle the whole time. With the BGs, I broke one the first day and after a year of riding, I can hardly get my foot out because the buckle doesn't release well.

Bottom Line:
I need to figure out a way to replace the buckle with a SIDI buckle. I'll have to shave the rubber buckle protector on the shoe down, but I'll be damned if I spend $15.00 per shoe to replace the buckles with the same crap they came with.
Overall, great shoe. And at least the buckle doesn't fail loose, it fails stuck.
I think Specialized has always made excellent bikes at a good value . . . and that their clothing had always been cheap and crappy. These shoes are well made and if the buckle wasn't an issue I'd have given the shoe 5 chilis overall.

Favorite Trail:   meh

Similar Products Used:   SIDI dominators and techno fire, some mid range shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Spec FSR w/ time ROC attac pedals. Haro 24" BMX race bike (same pedals).

Submitted by Raumfahrer Rolf a Cross Country Rider from Herndon, VA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    Fit - roomy in the toebox, snug through the arch and heel. I've always had to wear insoles (for arch support) with every pair of shoe I've owned, except these.

Weaknesses:    Right buckle broke on first ride! Fortunately, the LBS was willing to warranty it. Nevertheless, I don't really trust the buckles, so I am careful when putting/taking the shoes.

Bottom Line:
I'm sold on Specialized BG stuff; it fits me well. Were I to do it again, though, I would have went with the BG Sport shoes saved a few bucks and avoided the wimpy buckles.

Purchased At:   A-1 Cycling

Similar Products Used:   I liked the fit of Specialized BG much better than other brands. Shimano and Pearl Izumi felt too cramped. Sidi's fit like a glove. The Specialized BG shoes felt most like the Sidi's but had more room in the toebox - a plus since I like to wear a couple layers of socks in the winter.

Submitted by Atomicfish a Cross Country Rider from Missoula,MT

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    quality of materials, appearance

Weaknesses:    Too roomy and too flexible, even though I bought the correct size. There's too much volume in the toe box section of this shoe, and I'm constantly aware of it. The velcro straps are placed too far back to provide any adjustment on the forefront of the shoe. I much more prefer the snug, glove-like fit of Sidi shoes. I bought the shoes for cyclocross and they have been a disappointment, guess I'll use them as winter shoes with covers or dump 'em on ebay.

Bottom Line:
To me, fit is paramount in a bike shoe. Take your time buying bike shoes or stay with the brand/fit that you trust. The Specialized BG Comp may be okay for some, but they simply don't work well for my feet and they're too soft in the sole.

Favorite Trail:   Ravine

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi shoes, Sidi shoes

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kahuna, Redline Conquest Team

Submitted by jeffj a Weekend Warrior from Castaic, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, long wearing, replacement parts readily available.

Weaknesses:    The tip of the plastic by the toe sticks up on one of my shoes. It came unglued from the start. No biggee, but it bugs me a little just to see it. Doesn't affect the performance at all.

Bottom Line:
Easily the most comfortable MTB shoe I've owned. I have had these over a year and they still have lots of life in them. I ride 3 to 7 days a week and these are the only comfortable MTB shoe I've found. MTB shoes in size 13.5 are not easy to come by, so it's good to know I can find shoes that fit. . . . and fit very well.

Favorite Trail:   Two Mile Smile

Similar Products Used:   Airwalk, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign & 29er HT. . . .

Submitted by e_hermo3 a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    Fit and quality for the price. Tongue and insole feel great. Instep buckle/ratchet. Decent weight and construction. Ventilated enough to keep your feet comfy, w/o tons of crap getting in your shoes.

Weaknesses:    Id suspect the buckle will crap out in a couple yrs as with any buckle/ratchet system.

Bottom Line:
Purchased the '08 model for 40% off. Couldn't pass it up. I have a wider foot, so its a tad snug by the outside of my little toe. Heel stays put well with the buckle/ratchet. not too heavy, stiff enough for my liking and haven't had any overheating issues for my feet. Construction quality, and materials seem like they'll be durable to last a few years. Ive had good luck w/ Specialized shoes before, and so far so good with these!

Favorite Trail:   Telonics

Purchased At:   REVO Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Setup w/ Crank Bros Smartys.

Submitted by eight a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Well built. They have normal scuffs so far but nothing seems to be coming apart. The are stiff enough for me, easy enough to walk/run in, and feel solid all around.

Well ventilated (yet they still keep stuff out).

Ergonomics! The toe box is square-ish and allows room for toes to spread out yet the shoe is secure in the heel/arch. I love this. Instead of having a conventional strap at the top, the medial part of the shoe wraps over the top of the foot while tapering to the buckle. This makes a really fat strap that distributes the pressure over the inside and top of your foot. I'm pretty sure this design is responsible for the secure feel of the shoe. Good design. I like this a little better than the buckle system on the pro version of this shoe.

No problems setting these up with Crank Bro's pedals.

Weaknesses:    The buckle isn't perfect. You have to pull it just right or it may not ratchet properly. The release similarly inconsistent. Ideally you only use it two or three times a day but it's still a little annoying.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend these shoes.

In my opinion, a great piece of gear is one that you do not think about while you're riding. I put these on and I do not worry about them again until I take them off. They are comfortable and secure enough for me to overlook the small issue with the buckle.

With my old shoes, my feet would get tired after about an hour of continuous riding. This has not happened with the BG comps. I'm sure this has something to do with the footbed. There might be someting to the varus wedge. My knees do not hurt but they didn't give me trouble before...

I have the '08 version of this shoe.

Favorite Trail:   MRT