Specialized 04 Pro Mountain Shoe Shoes

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Ultimate off-road racing shoe loaded with features for 2004. Uses Specialized''s patented Body Geometry Technology to improve performance and reduce riding induced injuries.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sisters, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Light, good looking shoe. Relatively comfortable secure fit.

Weaknesses:    Replaced the straps twice, because they would no longer tighten or release properly. And they are doing it again. Velcro no longer sticks at the toe straps.

Bottom Line:
Liked the way they felt and looked, but not the way they worked. Also seem to be incompatible with Time cleats, despite major surgery. I am back to my old Shimanos, and clipping in is so much easier. I'm hoping to pass them down to the local HS team.

Favorite Trail:   SBT

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, 2 styles.

Bike Setup:   Titus 100-x, Talas, Avid, XT and XTR.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2005

Strengths:    Comfort, well ventilated

Weaknesses:    The Toe spikes come out easy, but a quick dab of loctight on the trheads when you put them in takes care of that

Bottom Line:
These shoes are fantastic. They are so comfortable, great for an afternoon ride or a three day push. I have a wide foot with narrow ankle so I find it difficult to find shoes that don’t slip off my feet when there is a good pull. In the past I had to have my old Shimano lace ups tied so tight that my feet ached. These shoes are not like that at all, my foot does not come out of them. I tried a pair of Sidis and my foot came out with one good yank. There is no foot pain or knee pain with these shoes at all for me. No pain is almost like a novelty for me when I comes to cycling shoes. The Body Geometry insole helped clean up my form as well. Over all I think they are a high quality shoe for a reasonable cost.

I have had no problems with the buckles.

Similar Products Used:   Old Shimano Lace ups

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC a bit better then stock...

Submitted by Brett Wolmarans a Weekend Warrior from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Look great, nice tight fit and buckle holds my ankle down well without cutting off circulation. Stiff sole (but not as stiff as Pro MTB Carbon that sells for $200! )

Weaknesses:    The red release button on the left shoe got stuck after 1 ride and I have to wiggle it and cinch the buckle tighter while pushing it down to get it to release. I'll probably put a small strip of duct tape over both buckels for my next rides because they do seem rather fragile, and if that part breaks the shoe is transformed into a paperweight.

Bottom Line:
Good deal for the money, it's about $50 - $60 less than the other decent buckle shoes I looked at.

Favorite Trail:   St. Josephs

Submitted by David Hunter a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    Very Comfortable once they are broken in

Weaknesses:    The Sole design is pathetic, especially the heal. The treads just break off, both of my heals have no tread left. Also the ratchet release, a push button that faces the way you are riding, every bit of grass, stick, leaves or anything else gets stuck under the red release trigger, have already snapped one off after clipping a stick

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these shoes if you do any sort of riding that would require you to get off and walk up steep slopes, bit hard to grip, when there is no tread. Also if you do any serious single track riding with allot of low vegetation around

Favorite Trail:   Clear Mountain DH

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Diadora MTB shoe

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Jpshua F1 with Fox Vanilla RLC

Submitted by Kelly Morris a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff sole, excellent ratcheting system on buckles, body geometry insole works extremely well, excellent traction, well designed reinforced toe box, excellent ventilation. An understated and good looking shoe.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a value packed shoe for the money. I've been riding wet winter conditions in the NW with these shoes for the last six months.
The sole design has very good traction on mud, sand, rock and wet rooted trails and fits the Shimano SPD type clips excellently. The toe box is roomy and well ventilated and is reinforced to protect your toes from trailside objects like rocks and logs. The uppers fabric material is soft, but dosn't stretch like SIDI's. The Ratchets on the buckles have held up well and are very intuitive - easy to adjust wile riding. Also, the body geometry sole tilts your foot, and knees slightly outward, away from the frame. This seems to take pressure off the knees, especially when cranking up steep sections. The bgd insole is also fits my foot well. and is very comfortable - especially after they were ridden for a couple weeks.
I've been lucky with these shoes as have exceeded my expectations in all respects. I've had similar success with other Specialized products. I highly recommend these to anyone that wants value for their money.

Favorite Trail:   kcmorris@msn.com

Similar Products Used:   SIDI, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Shimano SPD clipless pedals

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable, grip pretty well, not the worst looking of pro style shoes, didn't have to cut away sole for Crank Bros. cleats, bonus!

Weaknesses:    buckles could be a little stronger, a not very intense side impact with a rock did one in

Bottom Line:
I may be the toughest person to shop for shoes with, my feet are large, size 13 and nothing ever fits them both very well. I put these on and was in heaven, my wife couldn't believe it because they were the first one's I tried on! They were tight at first but have broken in nicely. I can ride with them for hours and get no numbness in my toes or any soreness at all. They aren't even all that bad to walk in either. Traction is good, even on rock they are alright, the toe spikes really help when pushing up those impossible inclines. They are the most expensive piece of footwear I have purchased in a long time but worth every penny.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale and Shimano

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Epic Comp frame,'04 Fox Brain, Fox F80 Fork, Crank Bros Candy SLs, Azonic CF-1 bars, XT Hydraulic discs, ODI lock-ons, Panaracer Fire XCs

Submitted by Del a Cross Country Rider from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Construction, Grippy Sole, The fit

Bottom Line:
For anybody who needs extra room in the toe box but does not not need an E width/Mega fit shoe look no further. I liked my Sidi's but for sixty dollars less these shoes are just as comfortable and the BG insole works great.
The sole is also grippier than Sidi and Shimano which is a plus when you live in the North East. So far so good.

Purchased At:   Cycle Loft