Specialized 02 Comp Mountain Shoe Shoes

4.42/5 (12 Reviews)

Superior MTB shoe design integrates our Body Geometry (TM) Technology, to increase performance and reduce injury. Top-end technical features include a stiff, light and super durable co-molded outsole, breathable microfiber leather upper with stretch-resistant straps and a trail tough toe guard. Available in black with titanium accents.

Submitted by MarshallRider a Cross Country Rider from La Verne Ca USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Wow, these have lasted 10 years plus. I used them at least 200 days a year both on and off road. I am very happy with their all around performance.

Weaknesses:    None considering their length of use.

Bottom Line:
Loving the durability and length of life of these shoes. Will be thinking about another pair of specialized again because the great previous experience.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall

Purchased At:   Rock n Road

Similar Products Used:   Never needed anything else

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro, Special Demo 8, Cannondale Carbon Roady

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Nashville

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, Strength, Weight, Stiffness, Looks, Longevity

Weaknesses:    Rubberized sole wears out.

Bottom Line:
This shoe has gone strong for over three years now. I was recently in the hunt for a new pair of shoes and couldnt exactly find what I wanted. What I wanted, was really another pair of these. They are light and strong and have lasted through a couple years riding in some pretty inhospitable climates. They have raced both DH and XC and never complained once. Only now after three harsh years, is the sole beginning to peel off. I will do what I can to salvage them for as long as possible, until Im absolutely forced into another pair that I hope can even compare.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Kailua, Hawaii

Similar Products Used:   Many, many other cycling shoes...

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit, built for trail riding

Submitted by Ratt a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Fit, fit, fit. neoprene sock under the tongue.

Weaknesses:    The bottoms could be made more durable, tore the rubber nobbies off, snapped off the cleat bolts

Bottom Line:
Shoes are a very subjective thing because all feet are not the same. The most comfortable shoe i have tried on so far are Sidi Dominator 5s, they hold my heel the best, don't crush my toes, and the tongue does not dig into my ankle. My Comps recently died (my riding style not the shoe's fault) and I have tried on a couple of dozen shoes and these shoes have spoiled me. The only shoe that come close are the Sidis but I will not pay $230 for shoes. My search continues.

Favorite Trail:   Any long single track

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dom5

Bike Setup:   Lite fs xc

Submitted by B a Cross Country Rider from Cadiz, KY USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, cleans well and dries without much drama.

Weaknesses:    No protection on side of shoe. Wide area on side upper is just mesh, that's the only thing seperating your foot from a good smack on a rock.

Bottom Line:
If you do a lot of technical riding get a shoe with more side foot protection. For just plain xc cruising it's ok.

Bike Setup:   02 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Submitted by Stu Alp a Racer from LaSalle Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Everything. Comfortable for long rides, Great for racing. I have beat the hell out of my shoes for three years and they r still up for another season but i will now just use them for muddy conditions. I have raced and riden this shoe in every imagineable comdition and it had performed and lasted through everything.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This shoe rocks!

Favorite Trail:   albion hills

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   None, i havdnt had too.although i will be getting the 2004 pro mountains

Bike Setup:   2004 devinci phantom with xt drivetrain, titec parts, avid ti brakes and 04 sid team rc, 2004 devinci moonracer le, full xtr, xtr wheels, sid team rc, easton ec70 bar and post

Submitted by Kurt a Cross Country Rider from Santa Ana

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great product!!! Can't say anything bad about it. Really tough and stiff. Has performed well in rain and dry conditions.Very comfortable!!!

Weaknesses:    None that I know of...

Bottom Line:
Buy it. They are the most comfortable shoe I've tryed,I have wide feet and they are great. They also took care of my knee problem, because of the body geometry design. Great shoes!!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Switchback Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Lake, etc, etc..

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker, and Schwinn Homegrown Pro.

Submitted by Tim Matthews a Cross Country Rider from Peterborough Ont Canada

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Strengths:    This shoe is indestuctible,toe spikes are great when you bike and hike.

Weaknesses:    Just one,i find the velcro straps are to long.

Bottom Line:
Buy these shoes,as they are my first mountian shoe i am very pleased with them.The shoe breaths well,nice and cool on hot days,i have worn them for over 1200 miles with no foot aches or any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Hogsback

Purchased At:   Specialized Dealer

Bike Setup:   01 rockhopper comp Michilin Sprint S tires

Submitted by Evan a Weekend Warrior from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    I have a wide foot (EE) and these fit great. Colors are sweet, though that shouldn't matter, but it does. Body Geometry feels good, you'll either love it or hate it. Nice stiff sole for great power to the pedals.

Weaknesses:    Body Geometry can be felt after a while. After distances, I can feel the metatarsal button under my foot, and it kind of makes a pressure point, but nothing painful. Keep in mind I only ride about 4-5 miles on the trail. If you bike long-distance, try someone else's Specialized shoes before you buy to get used to the Body Geometry. My feet sweat a good deal when wearing them inside during Spin classes, but on the trail they vent great. Some minor heel slippage when walking uphill, though I don't use the laces...

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great for the money. My $100 is even a little high. If you're willing to wait, and can find them in your size, you'll pay less for last year's model.

I haven't ridden much on the trails with them since it's winter here and WAY cold. I do take Spinning classes twice a week for an hour each and they feel great. Definitely help me improve my pedalling technique, and the transfer of power compared to running shoes is no comparison.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury, Highland Lake

Purchased At:   Jack's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None, these are my first pair of SPD shoes.

Bike Setup:   '01 Specialized Rockhopper Pro X-Fit (for smaller riders) all stock

Submitted by Gregory Ceconi a Weekend Warrior from Pomona, N.Y., USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    This shoe is good fitting and very stiff.Good looking too. Rubber soles are softer and grip better than previous models. Toe guard is great and the arch control is supportive but just maybe a little too much for pronation control.

Weaknesses:    I hate the shoe laces. I think Specialized should just get rid of them. They are just a hassle to put on in a hurry. Also, the X-Country spikes are pretty cheap. Mine broke off after the third or fourth ride.

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for the money. If they just used velcro straps only and ditched the laces and the spikes for X-Country it would be the best value out there.

Favorite Trail:   Briarcliff/Peekskill/Bald Mtn.

Purchased At:   E/T Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Previous SIDI Dominator. Great shoe, just expensive for something you are going to trash.

Bike Setup:   02' Specialized Enduro Pro FSR

Submitted by Stu B a Cross Country Rider from ON, CANADA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, good looking, comes with spikes and spike tool, very breathable.

Weaknesses:    One minor thing, the stitching in the toxbox could be felt wthough my sock, covered it up with a bit of tape, and no more problem... after a couple rides, the stitching softened up.

Bottom Line:
This is the first shoe I have ever purchased. I tried on several models such as the (answer impact, sidi), and could not find a shoe that fit so well for the price. The shoe "hugs" the foot, unlike some shoes I tried on that sorta "grabbed" the foot.

I'm glad I picked this shoe instead of a cheaper pair.

Favorite Trail:   black walnut

Purchased At:   Bike Fit

Similar Products Used:   this is my first shoe

Bike Setup:   01' Specialized RockHopper, LX, 515 pedals

Submitted by Kell Cov a Racer from Brooklyn NY

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff ass hell, Body Glove themes is pretty well thought out to me. Way better than my ol' NIKES and huge improvement over previous Specialized footwear.

Weaknesses:    Walking!?....Dont even think about it mon',Plan ya rout accourdingly or bring extra footwear.

Bottom Line:
This is alot of shoe for the money,pro style on mechanics budget.

Favorite Trail:   Open Ones

Purchased At:   Bike Renasance

Similar Products Used:   Gaff tape?

Bike Setup:   Urban style (slicks)

Submitted by Pete Heinze a Weekend Warrior from Walthamstow, London, England

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff sole, good looks and a great fit. These are the most comfortable cycling shoes I have ever had. Secure fastening with just the velcro, save the laces for something else. Comes with a stud fitting tool - fantastic!!!

Weaknesses:    The light grey colouring will eventually look bad after a couple of muddy rides. Have to hack the sole to get Time ATAC pedals to sit correctly. Not made for walking too far in.

Bottom Line:
This shoe has made a difference to my riding as the sole is so stiff, not a major difference though. The body geometry that Specialize push works as my feet feel so comfortable even after a long ride. However, if you are in a position where walking is required the shoes are not so good. Once broken in, getting in and out of the pedals is no problem, however Specialize recommend getting your knife out and doing some surgery if you use Time pedals. The colours look great too. My friends were impressed with the looks, however will see how things look after a British winter. Buy these shoes if you race a little and like trial hacking, you won't look back.

Favorite Trail:   Thetford Forest

Purchased At:   Shorter Rochford Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Nike shoes, no comparison!

Bike Setup:   2001 Klein Attitude Race, RockShox Duke XCs, XT components, Flite saddle, Panaracer Trailblasters 1.9s, Time ATAC pedals, Kore seatpost, Bontrager bars and stem, Mavic x517 ceramic rims, very fast.