Specialized 01 Pro Mountain Shoes

4.79/5 (14 Reviews)

Our no holds barred, high end, race oriented mountain biking shoe with Patent Pending Body Geometry Technology.
  • New Patent Pending Body Geometry Technology: Varus wedge, metatarsal button, longitudinal arch support
  • Upper design and contoured BG insole developed to deliver a better fit
  • Lightweight, tightly woven mesh upper keeps grit out. Sublimated fade
  • DuPont Hypalon heel retention cage increases durability, improves fit
  • 3 straps made out of compression molded Italian vinyl. Laces included in box
  • Compression molded canopy of synthetic leather and Airprene minimizes hot spots when using straps and laces
  • Molded plastic toe bumper
  • Outsole material is stiffer and 20gm/pr lighter than the Comp
  • SPD, Time and Speedplay compatible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jim S a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    super stiff sole, lightweight, look great, fit great

Weaknesses:    inner sock thingy feels a little tight at times

Bottom Line:
    I really dig these shoes. All the "Body Geometry" technology really makes a difference. The little, wrap-a-round inner sock thingy feels tight occasionally (I don't know why its not all the time) but its not uncomfortable enough to ditch the shoes. Wow are these shoes light and stiff!

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Similar Products Used:   Diadora, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Submitted by Ben Gilmore a Cross Country Rider from North Ogden

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Super stiff sole, Body Geometry Tech, and it has Three Velcrow straps!

Bottom Line:
    One heck of a shoe! The Body Geometry Technology is no joke!

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow and Bonneville

Purchased At:   Bingham's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Old clipless Shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   '96 Specialized S-works FSR, X'vert Super, XTR (all but Paul rear Derailluer, and GripShift shifters), Body geometry saddle, Hugi 240 hubs laced to Specialized rims

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    These shoes are great. I always suffered from my big toes falling asleep, the BG insole seems to have cured me of this. The soles are stiff, and the uppers very breathable. 3 velco straps and laces allow alot of adjustability.

Weaknesses:    My heel slips when I walk due to the stiff sole.

Bottom Line:
    I like these shoes alot. The stiff sole really makes you feel like none of your power is lost. My feet are very comfortable now compared to all of my past shoes. The Body Geometry insole will feel weird intially when trying these shoes on, but once pedaling you won't notice it. I have bunions and they aren't bothered by these shoes at all.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Run Lake, KY

Purchased At:   Cycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Diadora Chili's, Older Specialized Ground Control's, Lake, Shimano's

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dragon, Time ATAC's

Submitted by Jana Lingo from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    Most comfptable cycling shoes i've ever owned

Weaknesses:    Hard to walk in

Bottom Line:
    as I said, these shoes are the most comfortbale pair of cycling shoes I have ever owned (so far..) Walking is a bit diffcult, mainly due to stiff sole, Which is a comprimise I can live with. If you have Flatt feet , you probably should avoid these, due to the BG contured insole.I have noticed with workmanship whatsoever. The price could be a little cheaper, but I did pay it. A very good par of shoes.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Nikem, Carnacs

Submitted by Clay E Ewing a Weekend Warrior from Corpus Christi, TX

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Accustomed to heavy, stiff, leather Carnac Evolution shoes (their top of the line from almost 6 years ago), I was put off by the thin feeling I got when putting these on at first. The upper snugged nicely around my foot, the sole was rigor mortis stiff, but, I thought, this is not a substantial shoe.
    I think--after almost a thousand miles--I may have been a bit hasty.
    These very light, very stiff, well ventilated shoes, may have cured the problems I've had for years with 2 pair of Carnacs, one pair of Diadora: feet that fall asleep after about 35 miles, and a feeling that my foot is not properly aligned with the pedals or my body. Is the Varus Wedge and Metatarsal Button gimmicks or real? I don't know, though maybe after a few more thousand miles I will know. What I'm willing to say thus far is that these shoes are substantial, my feet don't fall asleep anymore, though it's a bit early to really tell about my knees (which are damaged and I'm putting off surgery until I can't put it off any more).
    The three straps are exceptionally easy to adjust on the fly, the neoprene sock is nice, too. The heel reflector lights up in car headlights, which is great for us commuters.
    Some of my first mountain bike shoes were Specialized, then I got off on what I was told was "the best" (Carnacs), and, I have to say I've mostly worn out one pair, though the Evolutions just keep going and going. My first two pair of Specialized--so many years ago--were great, and I'm now glad to be back to this brand. I would recommend them, without hesitation.

Weaknesses:    None so far, but the idea that great shoes cost $150 still seems weak to me. But, my Carnacs, 6 years ago, were $240, my hiking boots currently go for $195, even my work shoes (walking type) were $150. I guess I can't get with the program.

Bottom Line:
    If you want well designed and well made shoes, and these fit your feet (the Metatarsal Button feels weird at first, but you won't notice it 10 minutes into your first ride), they'll do great for you.

Favorite Trail:   anything north of here

Similar Products Used:   Carnac, Diadora, Specialized

Submitted by Chris Lashua a Cross Country Rider from Peabody, MA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    Heals are stiff. Shoe is very comfortable after a few rides.

Weaknesses:    The molded cleats started to separate from the heals after 2 months of 3 time a week riding. Specialized replaced them quickly with no problems, so far so good on the second pair.

Bottom Line:
    Perform great, stiff and comfortable, hopefully will prove to be durable. May not be comfortable for wide feet.

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown FS, Shimano 858

Submitted by joe a Racer from cedar hill, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, durable

Weaknesses:    hurt like hell

Bottom Line:
    I have tried to get use to the shoe, but after a couple of miles they just hurt. I have to pull up and coast through the trail. If they did not hurt so bad they would be the best.

By the way I do have fallen arches.

Purchased At:   Bike Barn (Houston)

Similar Products Used:   just specialized

Bike Setup:   supercal

Submitted by W C a Weekend Warrior from southern USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Very Stiff Sole

Weaknesses:    Heel slippage. Velcro straps had to be trimmed, rubbed pedal.
    Color(i have the red/yellow/black model may be y2k

Bottom Line:
    Shoe fit is subjective to the person wearing them. That being said, great shoe on the bike. They are very stiff, which i like.

I have some heel slip problems when walking. Occasionally have pain on outside of foot oppposite of arch. May be due to over tightening to make up for heel slip. The middle velcro strap rubbed against crankarm which was annoying, i trimmed it with scissors. Not sure why they dont just flip it the other way.

I will probably try something different for my next pair, which may be a few years becasue these seem to be holding up very well.

Favorite Trail:   Ruston

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC Pedals

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from Rockford IL

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    AWESOME LOOKS,LIGHT WEIGHT, FITS FOOT PERFECTLY

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    THIS SHOE REALLY FITS MY FOOT WELL, AND IN LONGER RIDES MY ARCH IS NOT SORE GOOD SHOE WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

Similar Products Used:   NORTHWAVE

Bike Setup:   2001 TREK 8500
    RACE FACE NEXT LP CRANKS,KING HEADSET,FULL XTR,CT2 BAR, SELLE ITALIA FLITE GEL SADDLE, EASTON EA70POST,TIME PEDALS

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from T.O. Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Strengths:    -WiCKed Looks -Breathes Nice
    -Stiff Sole
    -BG Really Fits to the foot well

Weaknesses:    None so far. . . . will update as necessary

Bottom Line:
    The 3 straps really hold your foot tighly! They look cool, and breath REALLY well.
    A must have.