SixSixOne Filter SPD Shoes

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Skate-shoeType styling, but with a soleThat accepts SPD clipless cleats.They offer an overstrap with laces underneath so you can dial inThe fit, andThe strap keepsThe laces out of harms way. Non-marking gum rubber outsole is grippy and works great with platform or clipless pedals Accept any SPD-type cleat (Shimano, Crank Bros Eggbeater,Time ATAC, etc) SixSixOne Shoe Sizing Chart 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 4 4.5 5.5 6.5

Submitted by TucksMedicAided a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    Comfy, good for long rides. Good foot protection (i.e. hitting my foot multiple times on logs and rock with no damage to me or the shoe). Works well clipped or flat.

Weaknesses:    Not awesome for hiking a wet section of trail.
I had to grind the sole down where my time cleat attached to get it to seat in the pedal correctly (not really a big deal, but it wasn't out of the box perfection).

Bottom Line:
I used these for 9 months with flats (specialized Bennies) and they were great. I just switched them out to clipless with the Time Atac mx-6 pedals. I was using some $290 Gaerne clip less shoes before and . . . I like these better. The laces and velcro strap work great. I ride in the PNW so they get wet often, I just take 'em home hose them out and put them on my shoe dryer. I've had them for 10 months and they still look like new (mostly). The soles held up well to abuse from the pedal pins.

Similar Products Used:   Gaerne, Sidi, Specialized, Shimano

Submitted by Pawel a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2013

Strengths:    Look good, vented better than Shimano shoes, stiff sole. Not extremely expensive

Weaknesses:    Get clogged up with mud much easier than Shimano shoes, ruined mine after just a year (!), difficult to clean, there's nowhere to put your laces (no Shimano-like flap), they let water and dirt inside very easily. Ripped a hole in the inside lining after less than a year.

Bottom Line:
I wasn't satisfied from the start (clipping felt awkward), but then it went even more downhill. Useless in the mud - a few steps (pushing up for instance) and they're absolutely useless - spend a minute stomping agains the ground to clean them, will you? It's not like I'm using rubbish pedals either, they're M647 DXs. The shoes are only any good if you're avoiding water, mud and dirt, but these are mountain biking shoes, for God's sake! Wouldn't recommend them to a friend. Get Shimano AM45s instead!

Favorite Trail:   can't specify

Duration Product Used:   14 monhs

Purchased At:   rowerowy.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano MP66 (DX), Shimano AM45

Bike Setup:   2012 Mondraker Summum, RS Boxxer, Fox RC4 Kashima, Spank Spike 35 wheels, Shimano DX pedals

Submitted by Paul ohare a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great looking shoes if you want something a little trendier than a stock mtb shoe. You could generally wear them off the bike without looking like you just stepped off a bike. They seem a very snug fit, so much so I might need to size up. (delivered today) but otherwise do what I wanted.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy although as these are my first pair I have nothing to compair them to.
Tight fit is frustrating and I'm not convinced a bigger size will be any wider.

Bottom Line:
If this is a style that appeals. Go for it you won't be let down. The 2012 in grey are particularly good looking. A wider toe box is required if you have a flat wide instep. Having not tried them on a bike yet I'm not sure how that will go but can't see any reason why they wouldn't be perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Carron valley

Purchased At:   Merlin cycles

Submitted by ncruz408 a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great shoe for the price. Very comfortable and pleasing to the eye. My first SPD shoe and I am in love. Matched it with a pair of Shimano SM-SH56 SPD Cleat Set and Shimano PD-M424 SPD Pedals. Combo so far is awesome!

Weaknesses:    The cut out for the SPD cover is hard to get off. I had to cut it out with an exacto knife.

Bottom Line:
Great for its price since I got it at discount. Very pleasing to the eye and is comfortable.

Purchased At:   hucknroll

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Mamba

Submitted by Colt11 a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, comfortable, steel sole

Weaknesses:    velcro strap was too long on my 2004 model

Bottom Line:
I have a set of these I've been thrashing since 2004, the rubber sole is worn out and the inside foam is falling out, but again, they have served well since 2004, about 7-years old! I plan to buy another set ASAP! Wonderful shoes!

Favorite Trail:   Hazzard Peak

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sidi & Diadora

Bike Setup:   5" Travel Turner 5-Spot and others

Submitted by youdothemaths a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    really protect your feet

Weaknesses:    no toe spikes, pricey

Bottom Line:
I use these shoes with Wellgo WAM D-10 pedals and i absolutely love the combination. This shoe and pedal combo really give me the confidence to plant my feet on the pedals no matter what the situation. These shoes are well made, tough, robust and they keep your feet warm! Admittedly, i only race in the winter so this is a bonus for me. I ride for 15-20 miles twice a week + races and they have'nt given me a moments trouble.
Perfect if you want to clip in with flat shoes.

Submitted by RiceKilla a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton, FL

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy for short rides, tough

Weaknesses:    No support, not good for long rides, Heavy, no venting, weak sole.

Bottom Line:
They're good for really short rides, anything past 3 miles, think of getting other shoes. Foot goes numb quickly. These things are tough but they are very heavy.

I am looking into Sidi bullets 2 or the specialized BG shoes, they feel so much better, vent better, and are lighter.

Also prepare to spend an hour putting the cleats, you have to cut the sole out, and trim away some of the sole to clip in easily.

Value is not good unless you get them on sale at about 50 bucks. Overall wish I had gotten some more purposeful shoes for XC riding 3+ miles. I do about 15 miles usually.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Rt.66

Purchased At:   LBS Jims Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG MTB SPD shoes

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardtail

Submitted by Jason B a Downhiller from Ashburnham, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, durable and comfortable. Work great as a DH race shoe. Higher top provides better ankle support than many other skate shoes.

Weaknesses:    Velcro strap doesn't get tight enough to keep laces in place. Lace pulled out of top hole after a good crash. Soles arent sticky enough for platforms. Run these as clipless

Bottom Line:
I like the shoes a lot. I use them for DH racing, with Shimano DX 646 pedals and they work well together. After the lace pulled out of the top hole, I replaced both laces with stronger, shorter boot laces and ran them trough the velcro strap holes. Took out the velcro straps too. Overall, they're a decent pair of shoes

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Demo 7

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Top strap keeps laces from hanging down. Feel solid on your foot, great support. SPD compatable. Under $100

Weaknesses:    Sloe is hard and slippery. I have used this shoe on both Kona and Transition stepdown pedals and the sole does not grip real well. It's worse when they are wet.

Bottom Line:
I am going back to the Vans. I like a good grip on the pedals. I have slipped off several times which was starting to make me hesitate. This leads to crashes. I will try them with my SPD pedals before I give them up.

Favorite Trail:   Blackrock Bonzai DH

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Vans, better grip.

Bike Setup:   Stinky Dee-Lux and a Turner 5 Spot

661 filter spd or five ten spd

Need help deciding which to get. 661 filter spd vs the five ten spd Pros and Cons of both Why 661 over five ten or vice versa. Weight is not an issue. Will be using on both clipless and flats.Read More »

six six one filter spd shoe...any good??

I was thinking of switching to a platform style spd pedal like the Crank Bros Malett along with a comfy skate style spd shoe which six six one has. My style of riding is AM/XC . I was wondering if anyone went this route in a shoe pedal set up. I was thinking of switching to purely flats but realized ... Read More »

SixSixOne Filter SPD

So, I'm in need of new shoes because my Pearl Izumi's are falling apart. I'm looking into getting some Filter SPD's. What is your experience with these shoes? And how is the fit? I've heard that they run a little large. Lay your opinions on me. :thumbsup: [IMG]http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_ph ... Read More »

sixsixone shoes - filter spd

anyone have any experience with these shoes. Are the soles pretty flexible. Light or heavy? [url]http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=85c76b62-88be-4703-a295-b7984a23161c&product=8f39445a-6a88-44ff-b0ed-254eee406449[/url] [IMG]http://www.sixsixone.com/media/store/product/6686-00.jpg[/IMG ... Read More »