Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

3.97/5 (29 Reviews)

Sidi Rampa

Submitted by Dawid a Racer from PE South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Fits like a glove. Good quality uppers

Weaknesses:    The knobbly soles are separating from the base on both shoes. Very narrow and hurt a bit in the beginning.

Bottom Line:
Good value for money initially. After 8 months the plastic layer which carriers the knobblies are separating from the base. I had to glue them down just before a big race. The rep complained that they did a fair amount of walking. Helooo..these are MTB shoes, we have to walk now and again. The soles are not worn down, they are coming loose, on both shoes. I expected them to last at least longer than my previous cheap Olympics. Won't buy these again. Still love Sidi's but depending on the outcome with the rep, I might go for something else.

Will keep them for spinning classes in the gym. At least we walk on carpets there!

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville - Knysna

Similar Products Used:   Olympics - cheap and nasty but lasted 2.5 years

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem Team with full XT. Mavic X819. Thompson seat post

Submitted by sherri a Weekend Warrior from mount vernon, new york

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    Very comfy right out of the box, and light. One barely notices that you have them on. Durable and not too bad to walk in. Cheap!

Weaknesses:    Mesh is cold in the winter. Plastic tread wears down eventually. (Unfortunately replaceable tread is only on the super high-end models)

Bottom Line:
I'm a roadie, but bought these because being an urban roadie, walking is inevitable. They've held up for more than 7 years, so I can't complain about the value I've gotten out of them. I'm still going to use them, but for spinning classes indoors.

The lorica never even scuffed after years of use and abuse. It's only the plastic bottom tread that finally wore down to the cleats. I've done a lot of walking in them...one time for 5 miles after a breakdown.

The insoles that came with them aren't so great, but a quick trip to the drugstore for some Dr. Scholl's takes care of that problem.

They've been great shoes and never given me any trouble, so I definitely recommend them.

Purchased At:   120

Similar Products Used:   Nike. (Terrible!)

Bike Setup:   Carrera Adone with 105.

Submitted by Grant a Downhiller from Castro Valley, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff sole
super easy to slip in and out of
easy to tighten

Weaknesses:    Slippery in the rain/wet (especially wood)
Dont keep water out like some other shoes

Bottom Line:
Good shoes for the price I paid. One of the best pairs for shoes I have demo'd or tried. If you can find them used in your size buy them. I dont know if I would pay 100+ for them. In that case just get some dominators onsale for around 160

Favorite Trail:   JM

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Sette, Nashbar, Shimano

Bike Setup:   06 7point, Super T, Rs Pearl 3.1, Mallets,

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Strengths:    -stiff (compared to recreational level cycling shoes)
-comfortable
-durable
-excellent soles (very aggressive)
-looks good

Weaknesses:    -strap can be a little too long...but can be fixed by applying another strip of velcroe strap

Bottom Line:
These are excellent shoes for the price . Stiffer than my the Diadora recreational shoes that I tried but I don't know how they compare with other shoes. They fit wide feet (mine are about 2E) and they are very comfortable. I love the soles. Their only weakness is that they are a little slippery in wet conditions. However, most bike shoe soles are like that. These shoes aren't cheap but not overly priced.

Purchased At:   Performancebike

Similar Products Used:   Diadora recreational shoes

Bike Setup:   Brono Warrior MT 3.1, Sram X.9 drivetrain, SID Race, Truvativ Firex, Alex EST 19/Formula cartridge hubs, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Kore cockpit, WTB Rocket V saddle

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    So far, a really nice shoe.

Bottom Line:
To those of you who can't figure this one out {I need to wonder if you have your own personal mechanics and hence don't have the need to stretch the imagination very often}, the simple solution to the inside strap dilema is to simply apply a 1" X 1" piece of looped velcro {you can even get it with the adhesive already applied}from the nearest hardware store and stick it on the area of the shoe body where the end of the strap ends. This way, you don't need to butcher the straps. VOILA!! Peace!!

Similar Products Used:   Lake

Submitted by james coyne a Cross Country Rider from tampa, fl, u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    sole is stiff for great power transfer, plenty of room for cleat reception so you can clip in/out easily, mesh cut-outs provide excellent cooling

Weaknesses:    sole is narrow and lugs are tightly grouped making this a shoe NOT to walk around in, only two straps so fit is kinda vague, silver color looks kinda pimpy

Bottom Line:
this is a dumb, non-all mountain friendly shoe. if you do any walking/hiking on a ride this shoe is not for you, in fact it's kinda easy to turn an ankle. two straps instead of three, not a good idea. and why are the straps fastened on the inside instead of the outside, as 99.9% of all other shoes are? dumb! the only saving grace is excellent sole stiffness. look at other shoes before even considering this one.

Favorite Trail:   pine mountain complex

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shoes

Bike Setup:   hard tails all the way

Submitted by Avisan a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    Wide fit.
Durable.
Cheap.

Weaknesses:    None found.

Bottom Line:
A great all around shoe. Not very stiff (read: Comfortable). Very durable. Washable. Breaks-in fast
I don't tighten the straps very tight, I like to have some blood circulating in my feet, so I haven't seen any damage to the straps like some others.
To those who's straps keep hitting the crank arms, try using a pair of scissors to cut the access strap and a drop of super glue to prevent it from fraying.
I've been using it over 3 years now. I do a lot of XC riding (some races), I also use it on my road bike and for Triathlons. I already bought another pair, it's sitting in the box waiting for this pair to expire.

Favorite Trail:   Iron mtn

Similar Products Used:   Performance, Shimano, Exus

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Gunnar SS, Schwin Moab 3 (and road/tri bikes)

Submitted by Gui a Cross Country Rider from Davis

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Confortable (partially thanks to the sole not being super stiff)

Weaknesses:    Sole a bit flexy (comparing to Pearl Izumi Vortex,)
Durability of the straping design

Bottom Line:
I liked these shoes, they are very confortable and work well if you have to walk a bit (thanks to the sole not being super stiff). All stiches and the sintetic leather cover held up fine after one year of XC abuse in very rocky terrain (Norcal and Tahoe trails), as well as the sole. They are well ventilated too.

My problem is that recently I found the metal square ring where the strap laces to be cutting through the shoe leather, which is giving up to the pull force. Give it a couple more months and there will be nore upper strap (and each shoe only has 2 of them). I'm sending mine to SIDI for warranty and I'll be getting either the Bullet or the Dominator 4. Not giving the Rampa another chance. a $100 shoe should last more than one year, specially when the user rides an average of 2-3 times per month.

Metal "hook" where the Strap laces

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Vortex

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-x with XC components.

Submitted by Mudd a Cross Country Rider from Fresno, California

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    They fit my feet nice and comfy. I don't mind these being only two straps, they stay on very tight. I don't climb mountains, don't need the spikes. They fit, they're comfortable. not expensive. They do make the fashion statement when riding to Starbucks though..great chick magnet! "Wow, nice shoes...did you get those at Nordstroms"?

Weaknesses:    They don't go very well with my double breasted Armani, and they're hard to get polished at the airport.

Bottom Line:
Even if they don't go with my Armani the fit great, look good, and my big *ss feet fit in them. I wear a 10 1/2 D but the 44's did not even go around my feet but the 45's fit perfect..I hate the metric system by the way...but I digress...buy them, you'll like them.

Purchased At:   Cyclopath, Fresno

Similar Products Used:   Cole & Hahn, Bostonian

Bike Setup:   Trek 7500 (9 speed upgrade) with Shimano 545 pedals.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Ct

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    Comfurtable, durable stiff sole and still good for walking

Weaknesses:    Only two straps

Bottom Line:
Awsome shoe, buy it

Similar Products Used:   sidi road shoes, lakes and diadoras

Bike Setup:   Hoo Koo E Koo with times and sidi

Submitted by Direxxion a Racer from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    cheap... branded...

Weaknesses:    stupid, poor strapping system... the strap keeps coming off and tangles the cranks... realli irritating... sidi should look into the case... and practically yur feets sooo hot.. poor aeration system..and another worse thing... poor sole.. stand on the tip of yur toes and the sole flexes..!!!

Bottom Line:
sidi...considering?? nah.. only take the top ends... but given a choice i wont buy this sh*t anymore... I'll go for some others like north wave... etc, next time...

Similar Products Used:   colnago shoes.

Submitted by Bacco a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great fit and feel.
Good for narrow to medium width feet.
Nice stiff sole, but still okay to walk in.

Weaknesses:    The straps are attached to inside of the shoes instead of the outside like all other bike shoes. Unfortunately, the velcro on the shoe that fastens down the strap isn't placed where it will anchor the strap ends when worn by people with narrow feet. Accordingly, the strap ends can flop around and hit the crank arm which is annoying.

Bottom Line:
A nice shoe that fits me well. I primarily use these shoes with my trainer or in spinning classes. I would definitely recommend going with the more expensive Sidi Dominators for serious riders. I use the equivalent shoes (Genius) on my road bike and they are great! Note: the Rampa shoes have no tongue in them; I think that is why the straps are on the "wrong" side - I believe it allows the shoe to fit comfortably without the tongue. FYI - I added a 3/4 inch square of self-stick velcro on each of my shoes to hold the ends of the straps down to keep them from flopping against the crank arm.

Purchased At:   Performance