Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

3.08/5 (13 Reviews)

Sidi MTB Storm Shoes

Submitted by dang a Cross Country Rider from massachusetts

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2010

Strengths:    good fit

Weaknesses:    not a WINTER SHOE! the soles are just too hard. no grip what so ever in snow and ice

Bottom Line:
this is not a winter shoe compared with the Lakes. This is nothing more than a regular shoe up over the ankle.

Favorite Trail:   Yukon Ridge Lenox

Similar Products Used:   Lake 300

Bike Setup:   not important

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Kentuckiana

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    Wears well. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    So so insulation. Price. Could use a more water/mud tight cuff.

Bottom Line:
Disappointed with the lack of warmth. I think I have the Storm 2s and wear them in temperatures from the high 20s to mid 40s. I believe the current version has thinsulate. I do have a slightly larger size, so I wear wool hiking socks and gore tex booties which makes them a little warmer. In all fairness I tend to get cold feet easily. On the plus side, I have worn them typically in muddy icy crap and they still have plenty of life in them and continue to be waterproof. I think these are good midwest and midatlantic shoes, but if I lived further north I would consider the Lakes.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Submitted by Steve Offiler a Weekend Warrior from Sterling, CT USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Rigid sole, waterproof

Weaknesses:    none noted

Bottom Line:
Compared construction of Sidi winter shoes vs. Lake: the Sidi's are cycling shoes first, winter shoes second; the Lakes in contrast are a bit more like an SPD-compatible hiking boot. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I liked the fit of the Sidi's wearing thick socks, but had to go up a full size. Pedalling efficiency amazed me; soles are much stiffer than my old Dominators. Waterproof. My feet tend to get cold easily and the Sidi's are only so-so at warmth, however, they are a big improvemet over my summer-weight Dominators with neoprene booties.

Favorite Trail:   Big River, West Greenwich RI

Purchased At:   Providence Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominators with neoprene booties

Bike Setup:   '93 Merlin MTB, old-school 1" threaded Marzocchi Bomber Z2

Submitted by Chas a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta,GA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    quality

Weaknesses:    1. cost
2. not really warm
3. can't get em in mega size

Bottom Line:
Need two pair of socks when temp is below 25 degrees. I also needed mega for my 13ee's. I have Dominator 4 megas and love them. Sidi quality is great.

I have not used Lake boots but have heard that they are not really warm either. I would however try the Carnac Storm boot because Carnacs are made well and use wide lasts. I think that you have to order them from French website as they are not imported.

Don't buy Sidi Storms if you have really cold or really wide feet. I would buy them again if they were offered in a wider size.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 2

Submitted by Shawn Letson a Cross Country Rider from Spokane WA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    The high top design .

Weaknesses:    Warmth

Bottom Line:
These shoes are waste of money . Just use your booties and duct tape . I can't believe SIDI markets this as a winter riding shoe . Even with two pair of socks and weather around 30 degrees my feet are still cold .

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   North Division Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   SIDI Action SRS

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar , Red Line single speed , Orbea Lanza

Submitted by WomBAT a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, ID

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Sized to fit thicker socks, without a need to change size (ie, order same size as Dominator). I was also able to fit in an extra insole, hence adding bottom insulation. Not bulky, decent water resistance and warmth. Big sizes. Good rear reflectors if you use them onthe road. Light for road use, too.

Weaknesses:    Not a true cold weather shoe unless you wear some seriously warm sox (Sidi, how about just slathering it w/ a layer of Thinsulate??). Narrow straps place excessive pressure to get a snug fit (esp w/ wool sox). Neoprene cuff is good but could be higher and is not a great fit for less meaty ankles. Lousy flat insole (vs. the contoured on in Dominators). Width is fine except in the very tip of the toe. I disagree that Mega widths are terribly important, but a regular width Domin4 fits me perfectly). Same slick sole material gripe as everyone else.

Bottom Line:
I would buy Gaerne Polars or the new Lake boot if I could find them to fit (neither is large enough for my 49sz feet). As it stands I can fit my booties over these and will likely need them below 30F (but I get cold feet easily). I also plan to spray them heavily w/ water repellent. Ultimately, I think someone needs to make a simple closed cell foam toe cap--sounds like a good hot glue and duct tape project. As I have few miles on them I will try to repost after more winter miles are in on them, as I will be using them daily this winter.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Dominator w/ Performance and Pearl Typhoon neobooties.

Submitted by Arnie a Cross Country Rider from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Strengths:    I bought these Storm 1's at least 6 years ago, and their finally wearing out to the point they need replacement.
Peoples is right! They're not the warmest, but, I wear 'em all year round, and they function just as well in the heat of the summer. I find colder than 20'F, you're gonna want to wear booties. Better yet, boots and flatties. Same if it's really sloppy and wet. Great grip in the dirt/mud, but poor on ice and wet roots (what isn't).

Weaknesses:    Spendy for the intended use.
No half sizes.
Non-euro feet need not apply.

Bottom Line:
I'm definately in for Storm 2's!!

Favorite Trail:   Bruce Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   none in 6 years...

Bike Setup:   C'dale F800
Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Johnny Zemel a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    It was the ONLY winter shoe I could locate in the 7 county metro area, so availability. The neoprene seals around the ankel pretty well too I suppose.

Weaknesses:    Rock hard sole is is slippery as hell on any hard surface, especially cold and wet or icy hard surfaces.
There seems to be no attempt to insulate the bottom of the show. Just hard plastic under an insert.
The insulation is pretty feeble.

Bottom Line:
I got these shoes because they were the only ones I could find at any of the local shops. I really wanted the Lakes.
Anyway, the shoe seems to be designed for a pointy toed leprechaun, by a guy in some coastal town in Italy who has never seen temps below 40F.
The sole is so hard it has no chance of traction on any kind of hard surface that's wet.
This is basically a hightop racing shoe with no venting and a feeble attempt at insulation.
The warmest temps I've had the chance to use them in was about 12F and my toes were freezing after about 20 minutes.
I've used them in about 0F temps too, and yeah, cold as hell. This is with a polypro liner sock and an outer wool sock.
I'm no racer, I use them to ride around for fun and also for commuting, so maybe The shoe was just not designed with me in mind. But I don't think it's going to keep your feet warm in temps under 25F. And they were expensive as hell too.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Haven't tried any other winter cycling shoes.

Submitted by Chas Arvey a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta,GA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    my review is for the storm 2

1. good quality
2. very comfortable with one pair of socks
3. just warm enough. i'll update after a few january rides
in mountains.
4. seem to be molding to my feet quite well. i've heard all
the uproar over the sidi fit; we'll see.

Weaknesses:    1. shoe doesn't come in mega width
2. price
3. prob not meant for sub 0 rides although this years model
has more insulation than last years. i will update later
after i slog it

Bottom Line:
i bought shoe on sidi reputation and reviews from this very helpful site. they look good and seems to be made well. i wear size 13 shoes (48's) and really put a pounding on shoes. i wish they came in wider size but they seem to be molding to my feet well. i dunno i if i will be able to wear two pairs of socks and have room for softer insoles too.
i tested them out on a 50 mile road bike ride yesterday and my feet felt ok. i'm sure they will be just as comfy off road.

4 cold poops for value, they cost lots. overall i like um so 5 poops

Favorite Trail:   Tsali & Camp Thunder

Similar Products Used:   shimano carbon road shoes

Bike Setup:   2001 fisher sugar 2, 1999 k2 oz-m, 1988 dave scott centurion iorn man master

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, not too warm

Weaknesses:    Leaked badly after only about 15 rides (6 months). SIDI warranty support was terrible.

Bottom Line:
Initially I was very impressed, boots were very comfortable, warm enough for Scotland but not too warm. However they soon started to leak badly and when I returned them under warranty SIDI insisted there was there was no problem with them, and that "no boot is completely waterproof". Luckily my local bike shop supported me and gave me a full refund. Nice one Dales!

I wouldnt recommend them or frankly any other SIDI product after this experience. Poor quality product that doesnt last, and terrible customer support. May not be warm enough for some colder climates or people suffering from cold feet.

I'll be trying the Lake MX300's next...

Purchased At:   Dales Cycles, Glasgow

Similar Products Used:   Neoprene overshoes

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Raven 1000

Submitted by a racer from Westchester, New York

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

Shoes performed to expectations...if your purchasing these shoes you probably already have another pair of three season shoes. Use them for cross country mtb, cyclocross, and rode cycling, never a problem to date with over 500 miles at least on them. The three things that I feel need to be mentioned is that (1)Sidi failed to provide the studs with the shoes...extra, (2)no half sizes...need to wear additinal socks to compensate for extra space, and (3)the sole that came with it lacks support and padding...replaced w/aftermaket inner sole. Overall one of the better shoes for winter cycling...recommend Seal Skinz as an oversock to protect from wet and foul conditions...can get away with spending $29.95 and using three season cycling shoes (see add in Dirt Rag Magazine).

Submitted by CHARLIE a cross-country rider from CONNECTICUT

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'VE HAD THESE SHOES FOR 2 YEARS. THEY HAVE HELD UP WELL BUT THEY REALLY AREN'T THAT WARM. THEY WILL KEEP YOUR FEET DRY BECAUSE THEY'RE WELL PROTECTED WITH NEOPRENE ETC.
I'VE TRIED EVERY THING BUT THE PROBLEM IS THEY'RE REALLY NOT INSULATED PROPERLY. THE COMFORT RANGE SEEMS TO BE 40 - 50 DEGREES. COLDER THAN THAT AND YOU NEED TO PUT BOOTIES OVER THEM. GONNA TRY THOSE LAKE MXZ 300'S NEXT BUT I'M GETTING A LITTLE TIRED OF SPENDING $200 AND HAVING COLD FEET.

Submitted by Anal Bandit a weekend warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is an excellent all-round shoe. With great traction in the mud it is excellent for going where no-one has gone before. The deeper penetration than other shoes makes it perfect for those cold, windy weekends inside. If there is anyone out there as kinky as me, give me a call on *** **** for the greatest time ever.