Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

• Molded plastic heel cup
  • Soft Arch Compression Strap

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Marina del Rey, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Very stiff and that classic italian fit. Super styly!

Weaknesses:    Tread wears out way, way too soon.

Bottom Line:
I agree with the other reviewer on all points except the tread wear. I don't race and i don't climb very agresively off the bike, but some of my tread is completely gone after only a couple of months. True you can replace it, but annually seems more reasonable than monthly. You can use the dominator tread on the dragon and it would last longer, but for this price it should come with both. Still, everything else about the shoe is rock solid. The moral: don't get off the bike.

Purchased At:   XXcycles

Similar Products Used:   Sidi dominator, Diadora, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Ibis BowTi

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Co

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    Fit, comfort, durability, and a first for Sidi - traction in a rebuildable shoe. Cool look.

Weaknesses:    Pricey. And I have not found anyone offering these below list. A little worrried about the fishing line and dial set-up at the middle fastener - but it is ok so far.

Bottom Line:
Dragon-love has replaced my love-hate relationship with my old Dominators. The Italians have the fit thing down, and Sidi's lock to you feet like ski boots. But the hard plastic sole on the old Dominators scared the hell out of me everytime I stepped off the bike on any kind of surface they could not dig into - slickrock does not have to be wet to go down. My old Dominators would not wear out. The sole was thin at the toes and the tops were good after several year's use. And I ride 4-7 days a week in all conditions most of the year. But, the stink factor finally got to me. So, after some hesitation due to cost ($60 more than Dominators), I decided to try the Drangons.

The fit is even better due to micro adjustable mid and upper fasteners (plus, I added Superfeet insoles replacing the whimpy insoles all shoe manufacturers give you).

But the big difference is the sole. The sole is good and stiff, but there is a slight flex at the toe making them ok for scrambles. And they do have traction. There are five areas at the sole that are a combo of deep lugged hard plastic cleats and softer rubber pads - giving good bite in any condition. A nice thought - they added a smooth pad below the arch giving a slight grip to pedals if you are not cleated in.

And how are they holding up? Tops and fasteners are still great. After a year of use the soft rubber cleats are wearing down at the toes and forefoot, but are still rideable. As you would expect with a shoe having a soft sole, they will soon wear down, and normally would not last a second season. How long the sole lasts will depend of course on how much scrambling you do. I could see someone who races replacing soles as often as tires.

So what about the cost. Am I throwing away a $300 shoe after a year or so? Well no, here is where I figure I will makeup for the original cost. You can replace four things on this shoe. 1) the middle adjuster set-up, 2) the top adjuster, 3) the top strap, and 4) the sole pads. Yea, that's right, everything that normally could break can be rebuilt. The five sole pads have a hard plastic base that has an insert clip and two to four screws. In a few minutes, you can make the soles new. The pad kit retails for around $85, but I did find a set on-line for a more reasonable $45 (Universal Cycles).

These are great shoes for a cross country racer or freerider who 1) wants a shoe with an excellent fit, and 2) enough traction for scrambles and to save your butt if you have to bail. I figure to get at least four years out of these, restoring them to like-new at around $45 every one-two years - in my mind this is a good value after the intial outlay. And about the same cost as a new set of UST's - which I wouldn't hesitate to replace for the traction.

Favorite Trail:   Amassa Back - Moab, Gooseberry - Zion, Government Trail, Aspen, Denver's foothills

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery