Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Dominator Shoes Shoes

4.32/5 (164 Reviews)

You've been riding, and Sidi has been watching. And what did Sidi see? Well, it saw that you've been riding your old Dominators for far more than just simple trail riding. In fact, cyclocross and all-mountain riding has taken over as the Dominator's primary function. That's why Sidi gave the...

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, lightweight, dry quickly

Weaknesses:    Off pedal hiking traction

Bottom Line:
Picked up a pair of these 5-6 years ago and they are finally needing replacing. I'm a clyde who rides at least two days a week and have beat these things up. Could maybe go a bit longer with them, but the velcro is starting to wear out and the plastic on the buckle strap has broken on one shoe. On the bike these are great. Off the bike, they could benefit from a softer rubber on the sole for traction, as the hard plastic slides on rocks pretty easily. I'll be picking up another pair to replace these.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Duration Product Used:   5-6 years

Purchased At:   Trek Superstore

Similar Products Used:   Some old Scott brand.

Bike Setup:   Rip 9

Submitted by TC a Cross Country Rider from San Juan Capistrano, CA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    Hmmm, since I have not had them very long, hopefully durability. They look decent for a plain, black shoe.

Weaknesses:    Poor buckle system, hard to thread and tighten as well as remove. After the difficulty of threading the buckle strap into the ratchet mechanism, it is difficult to push the strap through the ratchet and then find a good spot to start tightening. Also, the velcro straps do not seem to have enough length to them, they are just a bit short. The lugs on the soles seem a bit shallow and hard. The heel cup does not feel deep enough. And the insoles are worthless, which is surprising for a $280 shoe (retail)

Bottom Line:
I think Sidi is resting on their laurels, in my eyes they are no longer the benchmark for shoes. There are a lot of other very good shoes out there, and as the old adage goes, "if the shoe fits".

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Employee Purchase

Similar Products Used:   My previous shoes were Sidi Bullets. Those shoes fit great, looked great and were quite durable. I had the Bullets for 8 years. I have also owned Shimano, AXO and Nike. Nike were the worst.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Mavic wheels, Reba Team fork, Fox Float R shock, XT drivetrain, FSA stem, Easton bars, SDG saddle.

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    I bought these in 1997, its 2010 and they finally gave up yesterday. I ride a lot. Thats 13 seasons of abuse through five bikes. They fit like a glove until the plastic pieces exploded on both shoes while hikeabiking through the spring thaw.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
I'm a Sidi fan for life. Why would I try any imitation shoes after these?

Purchased At:   Cupertino bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   XC bike thats light enough to shoulder across patches of snow

Submitted by Scott from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable fit, stiff, one hand tightening, seem very durable.

Weaknesses:    Sole too hard/slippery, inside bottom cushion too thin.

Bottom Line:
I heard the hype about them from buddies, so opened the wallet to see if it was true. The fit, stiffness and tightening system is indeed better than the various Shimano shoes I've owned. They seem durable so far, but haven't used them long enough to credibly opine on that yet...but will give them benefit of doubt in my value rating.

The problem: The sole is way too hard to do any hike-a-bike walking over slippery or rocky terrain. Many technical trails I ride have the occasional sections where you have to get over a steep rock face or other impassable natural barrier, and these shoes are downright sketchy in those somewhat slippery terrain situations compared to my old Shimananos. I see no reason why they couldn't use slightly softer (but still durable) rubber on the bottom vs. the hard plastic they use. This plastic belong more on roadie shoes.

Also, the inside padding underneath foot is very thin, which makes them uncomfortable to when walking in over uneven terrain. I'll try to find a thicker pad to solve that.

Biking shoes are clearly meant for riding in, not walking--but in all mountain-type riding there are inevitably some situations when you need to walk a little, and need walk with some traction. These shoes fail miserably there.

However, I'm still (barely) giving them 4 chilis...since I fortunately ride a lot more than I walk, and I wouldn't trade them for any other shoes I've owned...due to the all important "fits like a glove" factor. These are probably great for pure XC riders/racers, but AM riders should at least consider the weaknesses before biting.

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano shoes.

Submitted by marshall S a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, breathability

Weaknesses:    Debri will stick around rachet and you can't open until you clear out the stick, weeds, etc.

Bottom Line:
Great shoes, I got a deal on these and I had heard so much about them that I had to buy them. I love these shoes, I use them for both road and mtn and they work great. Mine are the Dom ventilator, which really works, especially here where the summers get very hot.

I've also ridden them on very wet, muddy days and was concerned how they would clean up and dry out, but with a little TLC, they are fine. Looking forward to many more years with these shoes.

Other than the rachet occassionally getting debri stuck in them, I've got no complaints. In fact, I highly recommend them. Don't spend your money on another "made in... shoes, save up and go for the best.

Favorite Trail:   Park City Area Trails

Similar Products Used:   Many - but these are the best

Bike Setup:   Giant VT and Bianchi Giro

Submitted by Scott Urban a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman Montana USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    They last forever (9seasons),fit like glove,and you CAN hike a bike in them.

Weaknesses:    No real weakness, but if i had to come up with one i'd say they aren't the best hiking shoe, but i won't trade for em for anything!

Bottom Line:
The best shoes on the market period, i my view

Favorite Trail:   Garnet/History Rock/fire creek

Purchased At:   cycle path bikes (East Hampton)

Similar Products Used:   Lake shoes

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, XTR, fox talus RLC, SPD

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, performance.

Weaknesses:    Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. The ratchet on the newer model is a little troublesome but not a big problem.

Bottom Line:
The Dominator is a great product. My first pair, Dom 2's, were purchased in 1997-98 can't remember. Bomber shoe, no complaint at all, ratchet mech worked like a charm throughout their life. After 7 years the toebox started to delam and the crowning blow cam from a rock finally opening them up. My current pair, Dom 5's, are going strong after 2 years or so. The ratchet is a little troublesome but I've never been stuck in them. You just have to hold you tongue right, come on, you're a mountain biker, don't be a sissy. As for sole durability, mine have held up famously. I ride 6 hours a week minimum and they seem pretty durable to me. My first pair went through the 24 hrs of Canaan 2 (or 3?) times. I've pushed up trails at Pisgah NC and stood at more rocky "spots" than my pickled mind can remember. The soles are tough. They are slippery as hell on wet rocks & roots but they aren't trail shoes, they're race shoes but they're so durable I'll forgive them that. I suspect those with big durability complaints need to ride more & walk less. Stay away from the high end Sidi SRS models unless you want to fork out $40+ bucks a month as those thing wear like they're made of play-do.

Favorite Trail:   The dirt one

Similar Products Used:   Time, Answer, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Soma hardtail, Marzocchi Fork, Sram X9, XTR crank, Avid BB7 brakes, WTB hubs w/Sun rims, Time-Race Face-Dean-Selle Italia-WTB bits & pieces. It's blue, it rides great and I like it.

Submitted by Scott Marlow a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    fit adjustments

Weaknesses:    buckle fastening system, narrow and slick tread

Bottom Line:
If you plan to race and never get off your bike, these shoes might be great. Try getting off your bike for any hike-a-bike sections and you'll immediately regret your purchase.

I bought these shoes because they tightened around my low-volume feet. However, the tread is so narrow that walking any distance is a course in Try Not To Roll Your Ankles. Plus, even with toe spikes, the tread does not adhere to any surface whatsoever; they even tend to deflect off my Shimano SPDs when jumping on the bike.

Mine are being eBayed.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Submitted by Lance Risi a Cross Country Rider from Parker, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2005

Strengths:    Great fit! Easy to adjust while riding. Nothing appears to be worn out yet.

Weaknesses:    Buckle gets stuck a lot when trying to open it, especially after a muddy ride. Price. Even when I was in Italy, I could not find a decent deal on the shoes. Also, would like to see some other colors other than black. Ok...so I shouldn't have said that.

Bottom Line:
Can't wait to buy my next pair. Up until I got my new bike it was m favorite piece of MTB equipment.

Favorite Trail:   Buff Creek

Purchased At:   Don't Remember, local Bike shop in NJ.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100 03

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Spokane WA USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, quality. A very comfortable, stiff cycling shoe. Very easy to adjust fit while riding. Quick drying and very breathable. Kinda obnoxious looking.

Weaknesses:    Kinda obnoxious looking. Not a stand alone winter shoe.

Bottom Line:
I have not had any issues with breaking buckles, buckles coming loose etc. I also see that people are having a tough time walking in them. I lube the buckles twice a year. Condition the leather about twice a year. I rinse them off after nasty rides and beat the hell out of them while riding. They have made it through winters in NE WA and PDX OR, summers in Central WA, Moab UT and Seattle WA. Have had to replace no parts on the shoes, even after my puppy chewed on them, poor ratchet strap. Have taken them to the local shoe repair to have the tears sewn up to prevent them from growing. Velcro still closes, buckles still hold tight and soles still climbing. Remember that these shoes are not hikers, keep that in mind until you learn to ride over the stuff. I have walked quite a ways in these and still have tread, the cleat doesn't hit the ground when walking. So beat em up, treat em right and they will last a lifetime. Please note that I am only now thinking of getting new shoes, Sidi Dragons, only because I am getting made fun of in my old timer shoes.
I'm glad that I ponied up the dough after only going through 2 other brands befor finding these. Both of my previous shoes didn't last me 1 full season. Nike suffered a broken shank, and the Shimanos lost their soles.
Not for huckers, DH or anyone that spends more time pushing their bike than riding it. If you want great energy transfer from foot to pedal, buy something similar to my old, loyal, comfortable SIDI DOMINATORs.

Pictures available for product condition.

Favorite Trail:   that one over there

Purchased At:   performance?

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   S-Works M5 Hardtail. Duke XC Race. XTR/Easton/Panaracer/Look. Serious XC.

Submitted by Phillip a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    they are comfy and look cool. chicks always ask questions about em when i wear them

Weaknesses:    dont come with toe spikes these are essential. the velcro sucks mine doesnt function after a little over a year of riding them. granted i ride alot but for a 220$ pair of shoes the velcro shoulda lasted alot longer than it has

Bottom Line:
pretty stupid they havent lasted as long. I would get another pair maybe the actions with the non velcro but i am pretty pissed about them fawking up the way they did. and i think they should come with toe spikes. uh.... they fit good

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   nike

Bike Setup:   S-Works its light

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great fit, sneaker-like comfort, stiff sole.

Weaknesses:    The buckle. It sometimes slips when I try to get it super tight, but not a big deal. After muddy rides the buckle gets seriously stuck, can't release it. But the fix is simple -- just push down on the strap while pushing down on the buckle, works every time. I've heard rumors about the sole wearing out fast, but I will ride almost anything so it's not a problem for me. Buy the SRS (replaceable sole) version if you do a lot of walking.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are da bomb! Even with the minor buckle problems this shoe is worth every penny. I use it on all of my bikes, my road shoes are now collecting dust, these are so much better.

Favorite Trail:   any fast singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Specialized mtb shoes, Diadora road shoes

Bike Setup:   I use these for cross-country mtb racing, commuting, and road racing (w/ eggbeater pedals on each bike)

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, WV

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    sweet fit, extremely comfortable, good looks

Weaknesses:    cost, durability (premature tread wear & faulty ratcheting buckle)

Bottom Line:
These are the Sidi Dominator 4s ( which do not have the SRS ) I bought these since I heard the fit was superb, and I got a good deal. Well, fit is superb, but the shoe falls short in many respects. Tread has worn down very fast (for only 6 months)and gives poor traction on wet surfaces and WET roots, which is all we had this racing season in WV. Buckles don't seem to be ratcheting that well, feels as if it will break if I tighten it too much.

I do a fair amount of technical climbs,hike a bike climbs, and descents that I need to unclip here and there, but don't consider it to be excessive for the average rider. After 6 months the soles show considerable wear. I walked/hiked through much more rocky, tough terrain last 1.5 years with much less expensive Shimanos and had little wear, so I know the terrain shouldn't be beating up the bottoms like they have. Poor material.

Ok, I see why SIDI now has the Sole Replacement System ( I heard $40 for new sole lugs ) but shoot, should you really have to replace it every year? Seems to make more sense to take your chances with buying mid line mtb shoes every season for roughly $80 if you shop around. Most will last longer than that!!

Bottom line: If you have lots of $$, never unclip while riding rocky hills, don't need good traction while walking or jogging through sloppy east coast mtb trails (what you can't ride of course) you should buy these shoes because they fit great and are very comfortable.

I'm on the lookout for another pair of mtb shoes, since I know these will have little tread by next season. I will be happy just using these with my road bike since that eliminates some of the problems.

Favorite Trail:   almost every dirt trail

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano mid level shoes, Nike casual/ rec. rider shoes

Bike Setup:   '03 Marin Mt Vision, SID fork, mostly XT bike, eggbeaters, maxxis tires

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Mishawaka, IN, US

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, namebrand, fits like a glove, stiffness, easy entry - unbeatable, durability, small (not clumsy), protects feet

Weaknesses:    Very slippery on wet rocks.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Dom 4.

Buy this shoe if you have the money. No regrets. Sidi from now on. BTW, my buckle is in perfet working order after many hours of abuse. I ride in very rocky trails and have hit the buckle hard countless times. No problems.

Sidi makes bada$$ motocross boots also.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Scott

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth - decked to the max

Submitted by Chuck Caffarella a Cross Country Rider from Sudbury, MA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    Fit great, no pressure points, supportive.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Superb fit. The classy italian shoes are a touch wider in the toe box than my Sidi road shoes. Black color doesn't show dirt. Microlock buckle allows on-the-fly adjustment. Velcro toe and arch straps provide good support. Soft yet durable, non-marring sole allows you to walk on hardwood floors without damaging them. Sidi offers replacement parts. Retail price is a bit high, but Sidi really does make the best quality shoes. I've still got a pair of road cycling shoes from 10 years ago and they still look great. And, nothing has ever gone wrong with them.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Misery

Purchased At:   123bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Other Sidi shoes including road cycling and motorcycling Race Vertebrae's (excellent high speed crash protection).

Bike Setup:   2004 Intense Spider - red, Progressive 5th Element Air, Fox F100X, full '03/'04 XTR with hydro and discs, Chris King Nothreadset (rasta), Thomson Elite stem and seatpost, Easton MonkeyLite bars with ODI Ruffian grips and lock jaws, WTB Laser V Ti saddle, M959 pedals, XTR M965 Wheelset, Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 UST tubeless front tire, Continental Explorer Pro 2.1 UST tubeless rear tire, Ringle skewers, Cateye Cordless 7.

New Sidi Dominator FIT shoes

Has anyone tried the new Sidi Dominator FIT shoes? they are a replacement for the Dominator 5. I'm trying to find out what are the differences between the two models.Read More »

I need new soles for my SIDI Dominator shoes, where to get them...!?

The shoes are the dominator I (or maybe II from 98 or so) with orange soles, but at the moment I don't care for colors as long as the fit the shoes (size 11) h^ll I don't even care if the are made by Sidi or not.. Ps: I look on the net for some time with out much luck..Read More »

Sidi Dominator 5 vs Shimano M086 shoes

I am trying to decide between these two shoes, going to place in order in an hour. Which one [b]between the two[/b] do you recommend? [url=http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10551&productId=1084184&summaryOnly=true]Pearl Izum ... Read More »

New Sidi Dominator MTB Shoes- what a joke

so...i got my 6th pair of sidis today. always 43. been riding them for 18 years. two major isues. :madmax: 1. whats up with the mesh! cooling mesh inserts. holy crap. leather please. what a terrible design. i dont live in the fricking desert. northeast version please. 2. 43's dont ... Read More »

Sidi Dominator Shoes FS

I need to list my shoes on ebay, they say "45 M" Does this mean they are Mega width? I thought M meant medium, but I was sure I had bought Mega for my wide foot. I just assumed they were since they are so comfortable.Read More »