Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Dominator 5 Shoes

3.74/5 (46 Reviews)
Weight : 710 grams MSRP : $213.99

Sidi?s most popular mountain shoe is tougher than leather, water-repellent and highly abrasion resistant.

Submitted by Chad a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2013

Strengths:    Light and stiff

Weaknesses:    Cheap quality, expensive to repair and poor design. Overrated

Bottom Line:
Some items are worth a little bit more because they are superior. These shoes are NOT one of those items. The main issue is the top strap (inseam closure system)and buckle system. First off the mechanism doesn't work period, then the racket it's self broke twice in the past year, $30 part. The whole system loosen up during rides and have to tighten several time during a ride, very annoying. Another issue is the strap sticks out on the inside to the crack side of the shoes and will occasionally rub against the crank. To me it's a design flaw to the shoe itself.. I have shimano shoes 1/3 of the price that latest me 6 year never had an issue.This product is broken and useless after a half a season. Don't waste your time or money on these shoes.
I myself is going to of out and buy $90 pair of shimano shoes and stop sinking money into these crappy shoes!!!!

Duration Product Used:   6 month

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   All types of shimano shoes throughout the years from 92 on.. First none shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Rip RDO.

Submitted by Bikesrock a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, comfortable, easy to get on and off.

Weaknesses:    Not a whole lot of tread on the shoes but will do fine for a xc rider/racer.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this shoes about two years ago and just had to replace them. I used these shoes primarily for xc riding and racing but I also used them a lot on the road bike. These shoes fit really well to your feet and the sizing feels right. They accept two spikes in the front of the shoe for traction up steep climbs. Over all if you ride xc a lot and want a durable good all around shoe these would be a good choice to go with.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Knob (Boone, NC)

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Performance bike.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic razor

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 70 with upgrades.

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, lightweight, breathable

Weaknesses:    Top click-strap get's gunked up easily, lack of grip on rocks

Bottom Line:
I've had a pair of these for going on 6 years now and they're still running strong. Very light weight and breathable. Dry quickly after splashing through river crossings. Stay tight and wrapped around feet the whole ride. As mentioned above, they can lack grip on rock and actually can get pretty slick. Could use some softer soles as in the 6 years I've had them the sole has barely worn down at all (though, I don't walk much in them)

Submitted by Strider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, Comfort, and you look like a serious rider wearing these.

Weaknesses:    cost (but divided over many years, not bad at all) A little slick on rocks. Not water/snowproof

Bottom Line:
I am an avid mountain biker. I bike at least one hour a day on "real" trails and I love these shoes! I have had them for 6 years now and they are still going strong. The leather is getting worn and the strap sometimes sticks but WOW!. These shoes have been great for me.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary

Duration Product Used:   6 years

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD

Submitted by High Desert Norwegian a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Custom order for my size 14, narrow feet. They fit perfectly. These are my third pair of Sidi shoes. Fit and finish are splendid as usual.

Weaknesses:    No mud "studs" or cleats were included in the box this time. Hmmm. The very front two treads are much thinner than in the past and after a few rides I was already wearing into the front of the shoe and the toe leather as well! I do not believe these will have the longevity of my past Sidi shoes due to this fact.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the best shoes if you have narrow feet. Italian leather. Nice. You will need to use the toe studs or slather on a heavy coat of Shoe Goo if you do any walking at all in these. The thinner front tread design is my only gripe.

Similar Products Used:   Used / ridden Sidi Dominators for the past 20+ years.

Bike Setup:   I use have used Shimano SPD pedals since they were invented. Several styles and types over the years.

Submitted by utah joe a Racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable

Weaknesses:    This is my second pair. First pair was replaced under warrenty bc of the sole seperating. This pair made it about a season before the sole started coming apart. I used epoxy and bonded them back together which worked great. Side buckle also broke. Replaced them with the metal version used on the D6. Bottom also grips poorly

Bottom Line:
Great shoe that is very comfortable, just doesnt hold up.

Submitted by Jsaxonh a Weekend Warrior from Ga Mountains

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Strengths:    Shoes feel great. Very stiff. Look good. Easy to actuate all of the bindings and straps.

Weaknesses:    SOLES!!!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these shoes if throughout your entire ride you ever get off of your bike. The soles are made of plastic. If the stiching gets wet it rots and the soles come apart. If you ever bike hike on aggressive sections beware. You will break your neck in these. Walking in these is very uncomfortable. On the other hand, if you are a cross country rider and all you do is clip in at the truck and burn up a XC trail that allows you to stay on, then go for it. These are a good shoes on the pedal. They breathe well and look good. For the money you think SIDI could come up with a better bottom. Oh well.

Favorite Trail:   Bearcreek

Similar Products Used:   Answer, shimano, etc.

Bike Setup:   Niner MCR X.O. build, custom wheelset

Submitted by Andrew Baker a Racer from Santa Barbara, California

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Taking your hard earned dollars.

Weaknesses:    Making you cry when they fall apart.

Bottom Line:
Sad but true what everyone here is saying, these shoes used to be the great. My previous pair has gone years and still strong. The new pair, used perhaps one 100 rides, just like everyone else, separated. Left shoe, upper and sole, no longer connected. Considering the huge dollars to purchase, seems pretty lame.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Up

Purchased At:   Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   Sidi's.

Bike Setup:   SpecEpicCarbon

Submitted by tsn73 a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    The fit and quality seemed amazing.

Weaknesses:    The sole appears like it will have zero grip on hard surfaces like wet rock and wood. I returned mine before using after seeing and feeling the sole along with reading other reviews.

I just could not justify paying this much money when this is such an oversight. If you live in a wet climate and/or ride steep rocky rooty rides that you can't always clean 100% of the time, these shoes will hurt you eventually.

Bottom Line:
Awesome fit, good quality, stiff, and depending on how and where you ride they might be great for you.

I would highly advise against them for Coastal BC riders who ride more advanced trails 12 months/year. If SIDI ever puts a good grippy sole on the bottom of their shoes I'll buy a pair in a heartbeat, as apart from this issue these shoes were gorgeous and fit like a glove. Take note SIDI, Northwave, Diadora, Shimano, Lake, etc. they all seem to recognize the value of putting a mtn. bike sole on a mtn. bike shoe.

Purchased At:   Lickbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Lake, Northwave, Exustar

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude 29er

Submitted by lono a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    The fit. The fact that Sidi sells them in wide (AKA Mega).

Weaknesses:    Durability. Not sure this last pair lasted more than 2 years. For over $200 I expect more. This morning the sole on one shoe completely separated from the shoe. Also, the part of the shoe at your achilles tendon is torn & frayed on both shoes. Lame.

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd pair of Dominator 5s. My first pair lasted much longer. Wish I hadn't given them away. The originals were 100% lorica whereas the newer ones mix in mesh for breathability I guess. Didn't have a problem with that, though. The only reason I may buy them again is I have a wide foot and I'm not sure I have any other options. Hate to do it, though. Beware.

Favorite Trail:   The one in my backyard

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Blur LT

Submitted by dirtnsnow a Cross Country Rider from Oakton, VA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit, lightweight, low profile, plenty of adjustability in the ratchet straps for my relatively narrow foot, easy on-the-bike adjustment (micro-adjusting), heel stability, gripping teeth on the velcro straps to prevent slipping or loosening, tongue stays centered

Weaknesses:    they do stretch (and contract), but I feel like all my shoes have done that to some degree

Bottom Line:
I was actually pretty surprised to see these shoes ranked as low as they were because I find them to be very comfortable and fit my foot extremely well. But, then again, I could rank my Shimanos pretty low because they did not fit my feet as well as they probably should have and I always maxed out the ratchet strap tightness. But I do use these shoes for trail riding, 12-hour races, road training, and commuting year round, and I've never really had a complaint about them. In fact, I routinely think that they're one of the best purchases I've made. In looking back at the two 100-mile races I did, I realize that I did not use these shoes, but I wouldn't expect them to roll or be any more uncomfortable than the Shimanos that I did wear. The only issues I've run into were the ratchet strap end catching on my new cranks until I repositioned the cleats (probably just bad initial setup on my part) and the occasional stretch/contract phase. Other than that, I've had no separation, bad ankle rolls, or any other reason to rate this shoe with anything less than 5 chilis. For me, they fit and perform as advertised, and I love them for that.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Nike

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP, XT/XTR drivetrain, Juicy 7 brakes, Mavic Crossmax SX wheels, Kenda Nevegal 2.35/2.1 tires, Joplin post, Thomson stem, Easton bar

Submitted by KevinK a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Still working fantastic, great fit, very comfortable, and extremely stiff.

Weaknesses:    Cost, weight.

Bottom Line:
I had the Dominator 2 for over five years, until they fell apart on a ride, visiting Durango, purchased some Dom 5's, and they have been great. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   Durango Colorado LBS

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator 2

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Talas Switchblade, Shimano XT Cranks/cassette/chainrings/chain/front derailleur, Sram X.0 gripshifts/rear derailleur, Formula 2010 The One brakes 180mm f/r, Masterpiece seatpost, Elite stem, Manitou Absolute Elite 140mm MY08 forks, Fox Talas shock, Mavic 819disc rims, DT Swiss 240s hubs, continental Mt. King 2.4 ust front, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 ust rear.

Submitted by Bikefag a Racer from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit, at first; very stiff; you can look cool and tell people that you own Sidis

Weaknesses:    My roommate warned me about these, but I was tantalized by the status symbol. Just as he said, these shoes:
-stretch out. If you get your feet wet, these shoes will stretch. Lorica sucks for that - also it's cold.
-The sole is terrible. This is a MOUNTAIN BIKE SHOE! Why would they put a rock-hard plastic sole on it? It's SO slippery. In wet conditions, these shoes will kill you.
-My ratchets both had problems. Then, finally, mercifully, my ratcheting strap broke the other day. For now, I'm on toeclips. New shoes are in the male.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes in a freak ebay accident for $42 (I won an auction for Dominator 1s, they sent me brand new Dom 5s and decided to just let em keep them). So for $42, they have been great. I ride road with old SPD road pedals, and these shoes make very good shoes.
But they're not cut out for the demands of mountain biking or cyclocross. If you're walking on a wet rock with a river below you, you're seriously in danger with these shoes.
Maybe in Italy, mountain bikers are so good that they no longer need to take their feet out of the pedals, but I ride a single-speed, AND I ride cyclocross, AND I ride a lot - I need a MTB shoes that is capable of walking and staying the same size and the Sidi Dominator 5 is not that shoe.
Good riddance.

(my value rating is based on the retail price)

Favorite Trail:   wet lenolium gulch

Purchased At:   Ebay (accidentally)

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Northwave (a feller can get used to rubber soles...)

Submitted by over and endo a Cross Country Rider from troy

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff

Weaknesses:    ratchet system not sturdy,expensive and seems to catch on EVERYTHING. uncomfortable to walk or run (I dont have to do this as much --so back off :)

Bottom Line:
These shoes are lightweight for racing