Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Dominator 5 Mega Shoes

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 720 grams MSRP : $244.99

Sidi?s most popular mountain shoe is tougher than leather, water-repellent and highly abrasion resistant.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    THEY FIT!

Weaknesses:    A little pricey. Insoles.

Bottom Line:
I resisted buying these shoes because of price and I wanted more of a trail shoe. I finally broke down and bought a pair and my feet don't hurt anymore. I did replace the insole with some Red Wing insoles from some old work shoes I had. So far they are holding up very well and I like the fact that parts are easily replacable.

Submitted by etanc

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, now replacing after 10yrs of riding. Yes, they are way overdue - duct taped managed and zero tread on the bottom.
Width, My foot is an 10.5 but wear a 11.5 4E new balance for additional toe box room. If there is a mt bike shoe that is wider in the front I have not yet found it.
Construction is solid and the fasteners have held up.

Weaknesses:    Treads are not replaceable.
Insole needs an immediate upgrade.
Sole stiffness was moderate, the new pair seem to have been improved.
It would be great if Sidi offered the mega size in their upper models.

Bottom Line:
Sidi's are excellent shoes, certainly one of the few good choices for anyone needing the higher volume. I would like the options available with the upper models but until they are offered, the Dominator is the best choice for wide dogs.

Submitted by d hawk a Weekend Warrior from La Vista, NE

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Weaknesses:    Not very wide

Bottom Line:
Read plenty of positive reviews of these shoes and how the Mega was wide...well in my experience, this is not true. The shoe is fairly well built, those the SPD holes on one side were a bit loose. The ratchet system works well and you can get the shoe to fit securely on your foot. As for width -- this is NOT a wide shoe... I have 4E wide feet and the MEGA feels like a D width shoe to me. I tried these shoes for several weeks and they just killed my feet. Thank goodness for eBay so I could get rid of them. I have since tried Lake MX190's (wide) and they were only marginally better -- went of eBay also.

Our LBS do not offer much variety, so I have to shop trail/error over the internet. Going to try some Diadora's next as I got a chance to try a road pair in Idaho, and the tox box was WAY better.

The Pearl Izumi Enduro's are much better in width also, but still pinch a little.

Favorite Trail:   Tranquility

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Lake MX190

Bike Setup:   Jamis XCR Expert for trails
Jamis Coda Elite for urban riding
Univega Alpina 5.5 (setup as a trainer)

Submitted by Glued a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort, security, stiff sole.

Weaknesses:    Not made in America

Bottom Line:
If a shoe does not fit, the overall experience of cycling (mountain, road, or other) is diminished. In fact, it can be pretty miserable even after you get off the bike for the day.

If you have wide feet as I do, you know that wearing shoes that are either too narrow in the correct length, or using longer sizes to attempt to get a wider toe box are both imperfect solutions. Having nerve problems develop from a squeezed forefoot or getting chronic painful cramps from the shoe arches that do not land in the right spot on the foot are common in shoes that don't really fit.

Sidi Mega (Sidi's name for their wide sizes) are a godsend. For over 25 years I rode with a series of cycling shoes that, aside from functioning well as cycling shoes, did nothing but kill my feet. When I first slipped on a Sidi Mega in my size, MY CORRECT SIZE, it was a revelation. It didn't have to hurt! Amazing. All resistance to paying $230 for a pair of cycling shoes vanished and in fact, a week later I purchased a pair of Genius5s in the same size for my road riding with Look cleats (G5 is the same upper with a road-oriented lower).

I give it a high value rating because for some folks like me who have few other choices, they are it. Some of the more expensive Sidis have replaceable sole pieces, but in two years the Dominator5 soles show very little wear. The uppers still look pretty good too. A little saddle soap once in a while and they look good as new.

One other nice thing about Sidis. Spare parts. The ratchet mechanism and all the top strap parts including the arch pad are available from Sidi through many retailers.

If you have wide feet try these. Lake sells wide shoes as well, but I haven't tried 'em.

If you have normal or narrow feet you should be able to find plenty of shoes that fit, and likely for a lot less.

Purchased At:   Turin, in Denver

Similar Products Used:   None compare.

Bike Setup:   Chubby tires, straight bar, buncha gears.

Submitted by mikelikestobiike a Racer from Clinton, UT

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort, Adjustability, feet secured perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Price,

Bottom Line:
These are the first cycling shoes I have owned that have been comfortable from the start. Most shoes make my feet fall asleep while I break them in. Some take almost an entire season. Closure system on these is awesome, they hold my feet secure perfectly. I have always had a problem with my heel staying secure, but not with these. These shoes would be awesome for anyone, but they were hard for me to justify the cost until I started racing.

Favorite Trail:   Bonneville Shoreline

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Pearl Izumi, Exustar

Bike Setup:   FACTORY ONE Z29, SRAM XO, American Classic 29er Wheels, REBA SL 29er, Avid Juicy 7's

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    Wide, long, and durable. I'm a tall guy with large feet and have spent the past few years "getting by" with some 14's. My new Dominator Mega 50's are insanely comfortable. Finally, I don't need to worry about my toes going numb!

Weaknesses:    Nothing much to report yet.

Bottom Line:
If you've got wide and/or long feet you need to suck it up, drop the cash, and get a pair of these shoes. I was reluctant because of the price, but ultimately determined that I needed to spend the cash. I don't regret a single dollar of it. I actually have to clamp these shoes down pretty far, which is extremely rare for me. Typically I'm just hoping to get a couple good clicks on the ratchet! Colorado Cyclist was clearing out the Dominator 5's to make room for the 6's, so I got the shoes at a "bargain" price of $160.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Submitted by JCK a Weekend Warrior from Covina, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    Most comfortable shoe I have every owned. With my wide and relatively flat feet, I have struggled to find a shoe that was comfortable the first ride out of the box. Hated my Shimanos...couldn't get comfy in the Adidas...in short a long search seems to be over. Well made, nice looks...pretty simple.

Weaknesses:    The buckle strap could be a little longer on the mega shoe so you can catch the teeth a little quicker. Pricey...

Bottom Line:
I really like them...hate the price...love the feel. For me, worth the pretty penny they cost not to be miserable and or numb.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek