Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Dominator 4 Shoes

3.38/5 (16 Reviews)

Now you can achieve an even more precise, custom fit with your favorite Sidi's with the new Ultra SL buckle.

Submitted by BKF a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    Fit; durability.

Weaknesses:    That buckle? PRICE.

Bottom Line:
Finally retiring these after 6 years of use. Fit was great, like gloves for my feet. The buckle does get a little clogged sometimes, but never broke on me. A lot of people hate the buckle, but I think it contributes to the good, solid fit of these shoes. Against my better judgment I am replacing them with Sidi Bullet 2's to save some bucks. Those look about the same, but with a third velcro strap over the arch area rather than the buckle strap. I guess I'll find out if the buckle really does make a difference...

Similar Products Used:   Shimano stuff.

Bike Setup:   Turner burner

Submitted by Caley Fretz a Racer from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    Most comfortable shoe I have ever used. Stiff sole.

Weaknesses:    Buckle goes bad after a while, and sometimes clogs and won't let your foot out.

Bottom Line:
For me, the annoying buckle issue is worth dealing with for the amazing comfort of these shoes. I have tried new shoes, but keeping back to sidis because I just forget they are there when I'm riding. I will continue to buy them for their excellent fit.

Favorite Trail:   Pines

Submitted by tony a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    They look good but I do not think that counts.

Weaknesses:    I will make this short. The buckles suck. They get losse and if you dont catch it they will fall off. That is unless you get mud on the buckles or some other debris then you can not get the shoes off.

Bottom Line:
Do not spend the cash for these. Shoes should work for what these cost and the buckles are 20.00 to replace adding additional cost to the shoe. If there was a flammer for zero this would be it.

Favorite Trail:   Dinosaur Valley

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Spec. Answer

Bike Setup:   Enduro Elite

Submitted by E a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    Narrow fit available, comfortable

Weaknesses:    BUCKLLE SUCKS, Price

Bottom Line:
When I saw that there was a company finally making shoes for those of us with narrow feet, I thought it was great. But, that feeling was quickly killed as it routinely takes me 4 or 5 minutes to get the things off my feet - at least they're comfortable. No matter where I'm riding, these buckles jam with whatever plant matter is available. I honestly can't see how these things are worth what they're charging. Find a different shoe.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Klein Hardtail (before Trek)

Submitted by Michael Burkhardt a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    Italian shoe magic. They've been making shoes for a long time over there and the fit is impeccable. Lorica material is bulletproof

Weaknesses:    These shoes have seen a slide in quality since the Dominator 1 and Dominator 2 eras. The new $229 price is laughable... There is some fat guy from Sidi on a beach somewhere, smoking a cigar with his buddies and ridiculing our American consumer spending habits. Despite the strengths mentioned above, the buckle design sucks. It comes unscrewed, jams, and after a few technical rides between rocks, logs, and boulders, it breaks- rendering the shoe useless. To add insult to injury, they ding you $20-30 for replacements. Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the problem as I had to wait to get my replacement buckles for over a month because they were sold out. Rep was rude too.

Bottom Line:
I'm not buying another pair of these overpriced, over-hyped pieces of garbage. I'm looking to find a shoe that doesn't have all the buckle riff-raff, and has a simple, velcro three strap design. Carnac, perhaps.

Favorite Trail:   oat hill mine road

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Carnac

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Grizzly XC steel hardtail racer

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, Great shoe if in the bike whole time. Easy to clean. Drys Fast.

Weaknesses:    Not good in rocky conditions. Not a good hike a bike shoe. Scuffs up easy. No toe box protection. Mud & weeds can gum up the rachet latch.

Bottom Line:
Would never buy at retail, A pricy shoe for the abuse that it gets. Bought these at lower price because of my road shoe. Good shoe if you ride smoother trails and stay on the bike.
Not a good back country shoe where you have to do some hiking . Not a good rock shoe. Not enough protection in toe area & if spend time off the bike not very comfortable walking, especially on rocks.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 34, Sidi Laser road shoe

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 25

Submitted by Peter Vavaroutsos a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review. Veltec Sports (importer of Sidi to USA) informed me that mechanical parts such as the buckles, straps, cleat plates, etc. are not covered under warranty. However, I did receive a pair or buckles in the mail even though they didn't make any promisses to send them. I think Veltec Sports is trying to stand behind the product even though Sidi isn't and clearly has some design problems with the buckles. 5 chilis for Veltec and 1 for Sidi makes an average of 3 chilis.

Submitted by Pete Vavaroutsos from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good fit for narrow feet.

Weaknesses:    Weak buckles. Soles wear quickly.

Bottom Line:
I have been using these shoes since spring. They fit well and held up to many stream/creek crossings. However, the screws that hold the buckles to the shoes are always coming loose. After only 6 months of weekend riding, both buckles broke. The attachment area of the buckles is thin plastic and the screw hole is too close to the edge. A poor design in my opinion. For the price of these shoes, they should have lasted much longer. I'm going to contact Veltec Sports for warranty repair and see what happens.

Favorite Trail:   Grant, SDF, Coe

Similar Products Used:   Nike, original dominator.

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive Team

Submitted by John from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Weaknesses:    Extremely premature wear

Bottom Line:
After three years, my original Dominators' inboard strap mounts are about to rip out, so I bought a replacement pair last year. So far so good.

Well, maybe not so good. The new ones are about to rip through on their outside edges after only two months. They scraped against granite during technical riding a couple of times, but it was in an area where I've been riding for years in the old pair. I could depend on their toughness.

Could it be that last year's Dominators had a bad batch of Lorica? Considering Lorica is a man-made material, is that even possible? It has affected my riding because I'm shying away from brushing up against trailside rocks in places where I never used to give that a thought.

Similar Products Used:   Answer

Bike Setup:   Heckler/Maverick

Submitted by doug v a Weekend Warrior from ft. huachua, az

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Strengths:    Italian made quality; great fit.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, the leather did shrink after getting very wet a few years back and in harsh, rocky conditions, the shoe lacks toe protectors/bumpers.

Bottom Line:
First off, I don't know what I paid, though I'm betting I didn't pay MSRP- I'm too cheap. I also wanted a pair of shoes that were a bit wider in the toe box without going into a mega size shoe (Nikes are very narrow). I've had these for several years and they are still holding up well. The bottoms are worn, but I have been riding in the desert southwest for the past several years. I replaced the buckles some time back- okay, that's expected. At first, they fit well and maintained there shape. But, after some serious wet-weather riding (Tacoma, WA- I used them for commuting too), the shrunk just a hair. I've been riding them like that for about 2 years and now it is time to replace them (though I will keep them around for visitors or as an extra pair for those just in case moments). I'll try other shoes, probably the Shimano, Specialized, and the Supergo. I'm looking at the Carnac as well, but I am sure once I find the price I am willing to pay, I will get another pair of Dominator's- but in one size bigger. For the price, toe spikes should be included in all except the cheapest shoes.

Favorite Trail:   the one under my tires

Purchased At:   Performance or Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner XT; Specialized Ground Control A1 Comp (XT, etc)

Submitted by Vaughn a Weekend Warrior from Oroville, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    Same shoes for four years. Nice snug slipper fit.

Weaknesses:    The ratchet sometimes snags on obstacles. The soles are longlasting, but a bit slick for portaging.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shoes I have ever owned. 10ish years ago I developed a neuromas (which is basically swollen and thickened nerves) in both feet, primarily from wearing too tight Gaernes for a couple years. The Sidi Mega were the only thing I could wear that wouldn't just make my feet scream with pain and numbness. Well, I got the neuromas surgically removed and found the megas then a bit too wide. I have had a regular set of Dominator 4s the last four or five years. I keep the megas for those extra cold double sock days. My regulars are as good as new. They don't scuff, the stitches are tight, the soles are fine, the spd does not slip, twist, or come loose. I can't really justify getting another brand. These count as one of those quality, reliable pieces of equipment that I would put up there with my 13 year old Chris King headset. I will be getting another...if I ever need to.

Favorite Trail:   Southfork

Similar Products Used:   Lake, Shimano, Answer, Gaerne

Submitted by Bryan Cotter a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville FL

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    The sidi fit is perfect. They dry quick. Stiff enough. Very snug. Easy to tighten while riding. But, but see below...

Weaknesses:    They fell apart on me. The soles pealed off. The pair I bought in mid 2003 and the warranty pair from late 2004. They must be using another adhesive to glue the uppers to the soles. My cycling friends have had the same problem. In total, probably around 5-6 pairs bit the dust in less than 9 months.

Bottom Line:
I think if you ride in the desert or in areas with little precipitation, these shoes will work fine, but if you ride through rain or creeks, not a good idea.

Purchased At:   Bike Rot route

Similar Products Used:   The ugly yellow Sidi's, but worked excellent.

Bike Setup:   na

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, quality, and durability. With the ratchet closure you can cinch'em down til' your toes turn blue...

Weaknesses:    Price. Hard to justify a $190 pair of shoes to the the War Dept (i.e. 'wife').

Bottom Line:
I retired my first set of Sidi Dominators after 7 years...and that was only because the soles were worn smooth enough to classify as a road shoe.
After going through a pair of Answers, then a pair of Lake's, I bit the bullet, and shucked out the big money for another pair of Sidi's. I have narrow feet, so the originals fit me really well. I added a thin sports insole, and I'm a happy camper!
I really like the ratchet closure simply because you can adjust them on the fly, without having to stop and re-tie strings.
They are a pricey investment, but if they last 7 years like my old ones did, they'll be worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Similar Products Used:   Answer, lake, first generation Dominators

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe: XTR, SID, Avid mech discs, blah, blah...
K2 Razorback SL: XT, Fox/Fox, Hayes hyd discs, blah, blah...

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Eden Prairie

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    Fit and comfort are the best of ANY shoe manufacturer. Lorica is the most durable product imaginable for mountain bike usage. Who'd guess euro weinies could produce the toughest mtb shoe?

Weaknesses:    Recent price hike is making these out of reach for the average Joe.
Soles are VERY mushy after 6 years of use (yes that's SIX years). Bear in mind they've beefed up the sole since I purchased these in the form of Dominator 2's but was told they still soften up quickly. Lorica is tough but a little clammy too.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Dominator 2 which are 6 years old and goin' strong, ah, sort of. I'm only retiring these because my feet have gotten a little to big to fit into these due to advancing age and added weight (age 45 and 190 lbs.) After six years of HARD use you'd think the uppers were only a year or two old, no rips, but plenty of character scrapes. Yeah, the bottoms are a slight bit thin but still enough tread to walk to the donut store. Buckle is unbelievably durable having pren it by several crashes on rock, sorry about the trouble some seem to have but I can assure you they're a heckuva lot better than the whimpy Shimano, or worse, Specialized knockoffs that you'll see on the shelf today. And unlike Shimano that drops a product line every 10 minutes you can ALWAYS get parts for these if necessary. Now that the price is up to $229 though I found myself with a carbon soled Specialized shoe for 60 less, the fit is almost as good and the sole should last until the next big technolgical advance. Rear in mind my ratings are for a shoe that served me very well for six years in spite of stated weaknesses.

Purchased At:   Freewheel

Similar Products Used:   2 pairs of Shimano shoes which are made for pointy toe elves as someone else appropriately said.

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR. Got the last one!

Submitted by Josh H a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect fit
Comfortable after 100 miles in a day
micro-adjustable strap

Weaknesses:    Strap is somewhat difficult to get undone after a long ride

Bottom Line:
These shoes are awesome! They keep my feet cool, they're stiff...Lorica doesn't stretch. The fit is better than anything I've ever had on my feet.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain