Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Dominator 4 Mega Shoes

4.04/5 (23 Reviews)

The Dominator 4 Mega has all the features of the standard Dominator, but offers extra wide fit and a fuller design throughout.

Submitted by SF a Cross Country Rider from Stockton,Calif

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    If you have wide feet[EEE]. This is the shoe for you. Best fit,Very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None, Beside $$$. Just keep a eye out on sales.

Bottom Line:
I ride in dry weather only. The shoe is holding up very well.

Favorite Trail:   Hogan

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Epic,Fox Shox F100X,XTR,Syntace stem,Answer Taper Lite Carbon Bar,Selle Italia SLR, Chris King Headset& Hubs,Mavic XC717 ceramic,Salsa carbon brake booster,Avid Single Digit Ultimate Brake w/ceramic pads,Avid Speed Dial Ultimate Levers, Avid flak jacket&ceramic pads,Ti parts

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    Italian shoe magic. They've been making shoes for a long time over there and the fit is impeccable. Lorica material is bulletproof.

Weaknesses:    These shoes have seen a slide in quality since the Dominator 1 and Dominator 2 eras. The new $229 price is laughable... There is some fat guy from Sidi on a beach somewhere, smoking a cigar with his buddies and ridiculing our American consumer spending habits. Despite the strengths mentioned above, the buckle design sucks. It comes unscrewed, jams, and after a few technical rides between rocks, logs, and boulders, it breaks- rendering the shoe useless. To add insult to injury, they ding you $20-30 for replacements. Apparently, I wasn't the only one with the problem as I had to wait to get my replacement buckles for over a month because they were sold out. Rep was rude too.

Bottom Line:
I'm not buying another pair of these overpriced, over-hyped pieces of garbage. I'm looking to find a shoe that doesn't have all the buckle riff-raff, and has a simple, velcro three strap design. Carnac, perhaps.

Favorite Trail:   locally- oat hill mine, nationally- porcupine ridge, moab

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Carnac (great) Nike Nguba (worst shoe made)

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Grizzly XC steel hardtail

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    Lovely soft feel.

Weaknesses:    Price. Velcro is crap! Parts are expensive!

Bottom Line:
They're super comfy and soft - just like the Italian brand I expected.

The buckle is a buckle - I personally like them, though if you prefer a velcro closure get another shoe. But replacement parts are expensive.

The shoes are fine after 11/2 years of summer + winter riding, with the Lorica leather doing well over this time.

BUT, the Velcro has worn and doesn't work at all anynmore, which is enough to make me try another bran next.

Similar Products Used:   Diadora, Shimano, Time

Bike Setup:   HH 100x, Yeti, 100mm forks.

Submitted by E from bklyn

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Theres no listing for Five Ten's new DH FR shoe!!! Ive used Vans and every other skate/bike shoe for flats and none are better than the FIVE TENS

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
get these kicks and stick to your bike no matter what the conditions.

Purchased At:   direct

Bike Setup:   TMX

Submitted by Skmeetz a Racer from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Strengths:    Fit. Ratchet closure systems plus two velcro straps gets your feet feeling comfy with any type of socks.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the ratchet closures are a bugger and don't want to release after a ride.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. I've ridden and raced in these shoes in VA and WV (we have a little mud)for two years. Besides the stench, they're still mighty nice to have wrapped around your tooties for a day on the trail. You can get two good seasons out of them easily, even if you ask alot of them. They are the only MTB shoes I've worn for two years of winter training, racing and riding in all types of conditions, and they are still in one piece.

Favorite Trail:   Never met a trail I didn't like

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nike yuba (I think), Specialized comp.

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif single speed,Reba team,King headset,

Submitted by Phillip from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    looks, the ratchet

Weaknesses:    strectch wearout fast, crappy velcro, These shoes are intended to be riden everyday, I am worn mine out after about a year and a few months of riden

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere if you intend on riden everyday or there abouts, I have spent alot of time in my SIDI's I wont hate too hard but I think they should have lasted longer than they did. I might get another pair for the bling factor..

Favorite Trail:   over in moses

Similar Products Used:   nike specialised

Bike Setup:   Klein and an S works XC builds..

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Earth

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    Doesn't look like clown shoes
Ratchet mechanism ensures exact fit
Wide fit for wide feet

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come in half sizes
Over-extended tab on inside part of shoe

Bottom Line:
A bit pricey, but at least it comes in wide sizes (4mm wider than normal). I wish it came in a 41.5 because the 42's are just a tad too big while the 41's are a tad too snug. No need to break 'em in, no hotspots from initial ride. And no LOUD colors either. The inside tab of the ratchet mechansim that sticks out toward the cranks stick out too much - it can rub the crank if not properly set. I'm not sure how long the metal springs will last - surely not as long as velcro straps.

Similar Products Used:   Carnac Texas (too narrow)
Specialized whatchamacallits

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.
Tommasini Sintesi

Submitted by Gautam Bose a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Very Light, very soft -- feels like no shoes at all! seems solid, though too new to judge. My old Lake MX-80s (and admittedly, this is a totally unfair comparison, between $60 list and $206)feel heavy and clunky by comparison.

Weaknesses:    Price. I wouldn't pay full list price.

Bottom Line:
Great value if you can get them (about $100) below list. I wouldn't pay list, though some very serious cyclists probably would.

V. nice if you can afford them (or get them cheap, as I did :-)

Favorite Trail:   anne springs, Beatty

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Lake MX80, Nashbar Shadow (road) shoes

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, standard, w/Specialized sport sapple.

Submitted by Kerimo a Cross Country Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Fits perfectly, doesn't widen when wet, great looks, you forget you have shoes on your feet - they're THAT comfortable!

Weaknesses:    Wear on carbon bottomplate when walkin long distances... Just avoid walkin too much. But not really a weakness.
Expensive.

Bottom Line:
They are not THAT mega. Fits a large(wide) foot perfectly.
Great shoes! Wouldn't use anything else!
I give them 5 chilis. Even though they are expensive, they are IMO worth every penny.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M-221 (or whatever the name was...).

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Strengths:    They fit my wide feet. Buckle system works well to fine tune fit.

Weaknesses:    Outboard front side lorica is WAY too thin and soft. It tears very easily !

Bottom Line:
These are great fitting and well made shoes but the lorica uppers are very fragile and will easily tear if you happen to scuff your foot against a rock. Your results may vary but I don't see them lasting me very long. SIDI ought to beef up the front sides of these shoes to offer more protection against tears. A toe bumber might be nice feature to have as well.

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocks

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Chas a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, Ga

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    fit ( made on a very wide last )
comfort ( very well made and therefore fit without any hot spots )
looks ( they are black; they don't look like a color blind clowns circus shoe....like some other brands out there )

Weaknesses:    cost, cost , cost

Bottom Line:
Finally shoes for my 13ee feet. I have Sidi Storms (winter shoe/boots) made with the regular last. They are very uncomfortable; my feet start hurting 20 - 30 minutes into each ride. With the megas I can ride all day without any foot pain.

I understand that they last forever...we'll see. Only four chilis because they cost to much. But if ya have really wide flipper like feet pay the money and ride in comfort.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop in Stockbridge

Similar Products Used:   shimano, diadora

Bike Setup:   sugar 2... time attack

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from USA NC

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2004

Strengths:    uh they look cool and are comfortable

Weaknesses:    velcro sucks, i bust the cleat thru the sole

Bottom Line:
garbage they (veltec sports the SIDI distributor) wanted to charge me 25$ an hour to replace the velcro that didnt last. I dont know why they wouldnt stand behind the shoes. I know a number of people with these shoes that have no problems. i will never buy another pair of Sidi's they are crap

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   nike and specialized gonna get anouhter pair of specialize

Bike Setup:   XC, S-Works hardtail and Klein attitude race

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Warroad,MN

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    Durability,Adjustability,comfort,fit

Weaknesses:    price,hard soles

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great,I'd owned a pair of Sidi road shoes before and loved the fit,so I didn't hesitate to order these Sidis for off road.I wish other manufacturers would learn from Sidi and offer more sizing options for those of us with big feet.(mine are 14ee)I wear a size 50 mega and have worn them for three years now without a complaint.They've been through mud,snow,water and no problems.The soles don't grip hard surfaces is the only problem,but one I can live with.

Purchased At:   Performance(online)