Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

• Molded plastic heel cup
  • Closures: Three Velcro straps

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, florida

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    they have lasted a good long time and have a stiff sole. I have ridden these in lots of water, mud, and sand and they have stood up OK.

Weaknesses:    hard plastic bottom makes it hard when riding in rocky areas, especially if they are damp. Very slippery and no grip at all on rocks. works good on sand or dirt.

Bottom Line:
these shoes have lasted longer than i would expect. I did have to replace the cleat plates once due to rust, and now after 3 years a strap has broken and the soles are coming apart from the upper. my only real complaint is the hard plastic bottom when trying to ride very rocky trails. have slipped several times on these and it is like walking on ice. other than that fit and comfort were fine while riding, but not too much while walking.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   came with a bike I b

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Trance X3 w/ Sram X9

Submitted by wyo_biker a Weekend Warrior from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    Solid construction, good fit, comfortable, and the three Velcro straps allow for a snug fit.

Weaknesses:    Traction is a little slippery on rock but I haven’t had any real issues with this.

Bottom Line:
I’ve had really good luck with these shoes and have not had the issues identified by other reviewers; and I‘ve done plenty of “hike-a-bike“ through rock fields wearing this shoe. I’ve used these shoes for a full season now starting in early spring (mud and snow) and into the fall and have been really pleased with them. I’ve had these shoes covered in mud and sopping wet and they still performed well. Once dried out and cleaned up they always seem as good as new. Based on the performance and fit of this shoe, my next pair will probably be Sidi’s as well.

Similar Products Used:   Lake

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 30 with Shimano XTR pedals.

Submitted by MTBkroozr a Cross Country Rider from Prescott, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, three velcro straps allow nice snug fit, stiff sole, toe spike option.

Weaknesses:    Heel cup is big relative to toe box. Sole/tread is made of very hard plastic-like materials. The tread is extremely narrow, especially under the heel.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this product unless you use it exclusively for racing and you never put a foot down. Although I really want to give this shoe a thumbs up, I can't. It's lightweight, stiff, and comfortable to wear. However, the tread is so extremely narrow that I find my ankles rolling dangerously, and unexpectedly, when I walk. The problem is compounded by the hard plastic sole/tread materials. Negotiating steep and/or rocky terrain is just spooky. I'm not inclined to rate products in the "poor" range, but from a safety/injury point of view, I feel this shoe should be recalled.

Favorite Trail:   Secret (that's really the name)

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Pearl Izumi.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight with experienced cross-country rider....even raced a few times. (:

Submitted by matt martinez a Cross Country Rider from san antonio tx

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    velcro straps are fast and easy, ventilated toe keeps feet dry, composite sole, toe cleates available

Weaknesses:    slippery on rocks, slight heel movement under motion, rocks and sand tend to get into shoe by the heel

Bottom Line:
great shoe for the money. all my friends work at bike shops and recommended sidi for my first shoe. silver in color, spd clips on shoe. good, durable shoe that can be put to the test. no problem so far an i ride pretty much every other day approximately 10-15 trail miles. great shoe for the money paid but would not spend $150 on these. too many quality shoes available on the net for under $100.

Favorite Trail:   flat rock ranch

Purchased At:   inernet

Similar Products Used:   none, 1st pair of clipless

Bike Setup:   fuji thrill 2.0, stylo crank, vuelta xpr wheels, fizik aliante seat, fsa carbon post, x9 r der, x7 front der and shifters, recon 351 u-turn coil, maxxis crossmark tires, cane creek is-8 headset, xt cassette

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Ireland

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Good Fit

Weaknesses:    Poor Quality 'Leather' Lorica uppers
Slippy plastic sole if you need to ride unclipped
Not for winter use - vents everywhere

Bottom Line:
I bought these as an XC race shoe. They are comfortable, however the 'Leather' tore on the side after no more than 50 hours use. They were like new apart from the tear, having only been used a handful of times.
I returned them to Chain Reaction Cycles, who wouldn't honour the warranty. I would have expected better from both Sidi and Chainreaction. Won't be buying Sidi again.

Favorite Trail:   Djouce

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, 661

Submitted by smiling jack a Weekend Warrior from suffolk county, ny

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    quality, fit, comfort.

Weaknesses:    price, slippery sole.

Bottom Line:
the sidi bullet 2 is a well made shoe, fit and comfort as good as any. I have owned two other pairs of bike shoes which performed every bit as well as the sidi's for half the price, so only three chilis for value. if you have a need to take a couple of pedal strokes while unclipped, these shoes tend to very easily slip off of the pedals.

Favorite Trail:   cathedral pines

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   lake mx something or other, specialized bg tahoe.

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar xc comp, specialized stumpjumper hardtail, both stock.

Submitted by David K. a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    Fit and Function

Weaknesses:    Insole, can get squeaky

Bottom Line:
Added a grey Superfeet insole for some arch support and have used these shoes exclusively ever since. Somehow this shoe fits when I wear heavy wool socks or when I do not wear any socks. I have used it for almost two years for all of my riding - mtb, cross and road. Its stiff enough, comfortable enough and manages to fit well in all seasons so that I have not needed or wanted a different shoe.

I will always stick with SIDI based on this shoe.

I give it 4.5 for the overall only b/c the insole that came with it is so weak.

Favorite Trail:   Town Run Trail Park

Similar Products Used:   Lake, Time, Nike, AXO

Bike Setup:   MTB - Hardtail Gary Fisher. Cross - Redline. TT - Quintana Roo PR7

Submitted by lemanjallo lemon from Bend

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    light, stiff,comfortable,price???

Weaknesses:    weak material, maybe good for a road geek but i've put less than 500 miles on these and I have tears all over the toes, maybe i should get off and walk the rocky stuff

Bottom Line:
decent enough shoe if you don't anticipate getting into any rocky situations. sucks ass if you want to get off your bike and hike around a bit

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   shimano, lasted for around 3-4 years before stitching came apart

Bike Setup:   simple, light, can take anything I throw at it

Submitted by Dennis Hildreth a Weekend Warrior from Portland Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort,fit,transfer of power to pedals, light weight, stiff soles, Great look.
quality shoe (it's a Sidi)

Weaknesses:    a little slippery on hard surfaces, not really a drawback, just have to be aware

Bottom Line:
My first crack at cycling shoes and clipless pedals.
Very happy with both. I can ride for 3 miles or ten miles and not think about my feet at all. I have 8.5 EEE feet(42.5 Mega). I should be so lucky that every pair of shoes I bought fit like my Sidi's. If you want a pair of cycling shoes to deliver power where it's supposed to be, your pedals, shoes that look good, and will last a long time, these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Gear and Training, (on line)