Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Sidi Adrenalin Shoes

Submitted by CRICKER-MO a Cross Country Rider from LAC, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    SIDI COMFORT AND FUNCTION

Weaknesses:    BUCKLES FALL OFF

Bottom Line:
Have always (and still do) like SIDI Shoes but these are a problem because the only Buckle falls off because the screw that holds the buckle to the shoe works loose and falls out. If you retighten the buckle breaks if over tightened. The screws are very short and poorly designed. There are replacements if you are prepared to spend 30+ USA Bucks.

Favorite Trail:   MUD

Purchased At:   ACTION WHEELS

Similar Products Used:   CARNAC, SPECIALIZED, LOOK, OTHER SIDI SHOES

Bike Setup:   CANNONDALES M900, SUPER V-1000

Submitted by BruceF a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Much greater pedaling efficiency, than even Dominator 2's
Comfort
Lower Price
Easier to walk in than Dominators

Weaknesses:    None... but need a non-vented version for chilly, wet Pacific Northwest (please Sidi please)

Bottom Line:
If you're not wearing Adrenalins: you're not going as fast as you could be...I get a couple of MPH out of the Adrenalins versus my Dominators

I didn't think there could be a better shoe than the Dominator 2's...but Sidi has done it and at a lower price to boot...

The increase in pedaling efficiency on my MTB is quite dramatic over my Dominators...the difference between the Adrenalins over the Dominators is roughly equal to the difference between the Dominators versus no bike shoe at all...quite noticeable..even on my road bike the Adrenalins provide a noticeable improvement over the Dominators..

I can't explain why the difference..but the straps are in slightly different locations and the Adrenalin provides more grip "pulling" without having to be nearly as tight..

Give these shoes a try On The bike...they will feel funky on your feet, walking, if you are used to a tight shoe like the Dominators..they look a little funky too..

But on the bike they can't be beat

Favorite Trail:   Steep, loose, twisty and rocky

Purchased At:   B.I.Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator 2's

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier w/ Air Bomber and MotoRaptor 2.4's

Submitted by Bram Dally a Cross Country Rider from Puyallup WA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    Micro buckle is good for precise adjustment, high top provides good ankle protection, good looking shoe (black with silver trim)

Weaknesses:    narrow toe box, sole cut out for clipless is too tight, poor toe pretection, and cold as hell (may be an asset when the weather gets hot but don't expect wool socks and gore-tex to help much)

Bottom Line:

This shoe would be good for people with narrow feet in the summer who ride where toe protection is not an issue except that the clipless cutout needs modification. For less than 1/3rd of the cost you can get the Pearle Izumi Vagabonds that solve all of these issues (except for the micro adjustment and high ankle protection). I'll review them again when the weather warms up.

Purchased At:   Green Lake

Similar Products Used:   Many other including Shimano, Pearle Izumi.

Bike Setup:   Egg beaters

Submitted by Pete AnonymousCoward a Weekend Warrior from Hingham, MA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Thoughtful achilles cutout, sturdier toebox than earlier editions. Best of all -- real ankle protection!

Weaknesses:    Lugs on sole are too hard for my wet, rooted, rocky terrain. Would be nice to have a thick piece of rubber coming up over the toe box for when it inevitably gets smashed into oncoming terrain.

Bottom Line:
I love this shoe. It isn't perfect, but it feels just as good as the Action 2 at 1/2 the price, and the velcro toe strap works much better than those finicky, mud-sensitive toe straps on the Action 2. I've used the Adrelanin since, oh, I dunno, '96 maybe when it was called the Agressor. It's still a great shoe and it's nice to see that Sidi makes it in just-plain-black-damnit as well as fixing the problems with the sole coming unglued from the bottom. (As with some of the other reviewers I also had to resort to using contact cement on the earlier versions.) I wish the shoe lugs were a bit softer so they could grip rocky terrain, and it might be nice to have some scrub protection over the ankle protection area because the lorica just scuffs off very easily. Come to think of it, the toe box should have some protection too, rubber maybe. And I liked the arch area of the earlier shoes better. The sole used to have less cut off in the arch area which made it easier to hop back onto the bike and hit the pedals mid-shoe, but the newer trend on the soles seems to make them more road-shoe like. The carved out arch area on the new lineup of shoes (Action 2 included) doesn't allow for pedaling mid-sole before while you're in a rush etc.

These are minor complaints, though. The price (I paid $120) is fantastic for a shoe this great and the as with all Sidi's it fits my narrow, size 48 foot just great. I love this shoe. Just 1 chili off the top because there's still some room for improvement. Thanks, Sidi, for listening to your customers, keeping the shoe, and even improving it!

Favorite Trail:   'Vietnam'

Similar Products Used:   Sidi's Action 2 SRS

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer w/XTR
Intense M1 w/XTR

Submitted by Joe Ratkiewicz a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, Denver

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, adjustability, replaceable buckle system, ventilation, ankle protection

Bottom Line:
I've been using these shoes for 4 years, and they are pretty warn out, so I'm trying to find another pair of high top shoes, that aren't winter shoes. I really like having ankle protection for riding on the rocky trails here in Colorado, and the SIDI's have been awesome for that. I had a pair of Nike laced hightops, before the SIDIs, but they were so uncomfortable, and the soles were not very durable.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500-Shimano 747's

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2001

Strengths:    Typical excellent Sidi quality. Nearly indestructable

Weaknesses:    These shoes? Just the colors

Bottom Line:
Like those hipsters like to say 'dese shoes are da bomb yo'.

My first review is down at the bottom and must say that I absolutely love Sidi shoes. I have one of their road shoes and love those too.

My only complaint is that I wish Sidi would put these back into production. I dont think anyone else makes well ventilated high tops like the Adrenalines. Protection for the sides of the ankle is nice to have when MTB'ing.

Yo Sidi if your listening c'mon get it through your thick skull. The only reason you folks didnt sell too many of them was cause of the color arrangement. Just make the colors agreeable and you will have a hit!

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere on LI NY

Purchased At:   Bay Ridge bikes

Similar Products Used:   Wont even waste my time

Bike Setup:   Ibis with hand job, Race Face crank/BB, Sun Ryhno Lite F/R, Sram shifters

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    I am reviewing the SIDI Action SRS MTB shoe here (since it lacks a category and this seemed closest). It has a ratchet closure at the heel and two rotating things on the top of the foot. It also has a low cut.
Lorica fabric is strong, mud tolerant and quick drying. Quite cool shoe (temp that is). Well sewn.

Weaknesses:    Overengineered! The three closure system is one too many. On my previous SIDIs there was only one top closure and this was perfect. Easy to use on the fly and comfortable. With two closures I seem to always need to be adjusting them and never get as good a fit. The closures also catch grass better than my lawnmower and become progressively unusable during summer rides. In mud, the closures, especially the heel ratchet, fill so they are unusable.
They squeek on Shimano 747 and broader pedals, due to the raised sole around the cleat contacting the pedal (my old SIDIs did this too).
One ratchet broke after 2 weeks riding and needed replacing.
The replaceable sole seemed a good idea until the screws that hold it in place started falling out. Now that I regularly tighten them they seem OK.

Bottom Line:
A real dissapointment. I bought them to solve the squeeking of my old shoes, and these squeek as much. They are less comfortable, less adjustable in practice and more affected by mud and grass than the old SIDIs.
For outright racers, they may be suitable. For people who don't ride in long grass or mud they could be suitable. For the rest of us who ride in wetter areas a simpler shoe would be better.

Similar Products Used:   Two generations of older SIDI shoes.

Submitted by Rick a Cross-Country Rider from Columbus,Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Strengths:
Fit is Awesome!

Weaknesses:
Colors

Bottom Line:
These shoes fit great! I got them on close out from Cambria for $99. That helps me to look beyond how ugly they are

Paint Creek

less than 1 month

Specialized

STS2000DS w/ 545 pedals

Submitted by tim bugbee a Weekend Warrior from north andover, ma

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
the fit is infinitely adjustable, w/ the ratcheting side buckle and the toe closure (fishing line gizmo). however, they tend to run a bit narrow, and if i had the adjustments set too tight, my foot got periodically numb. they were also too small to run a pair of gore-tex socks for winter riding.the main reason i got them was to protect my ankles from the angry crank gods, and they did a good job of doing this.

Weaknesses:
durability. about 1/2 year in use, the soles began to delaminate from the uppers. not the tread, the actual hard sole part. the tread didn't fare as well either, but i took care of that w/ duct tape for each ride. this is also effective for hiding the hideous color scheme.well, at last ride, i found that the sole on the left shoe had cracked behind the cleat. this was after purchasing them in june of '98, or about 10 months ago. due to an icy winter, i didn't ride as much as i normally do. so i take them back to the lbs, who tells me that sidi only has a 6 month warranty. if you spend $200 dollars on a pair of shoes, you should get AT LEAST a good year out of them. both pair of shimanos did that for me. so i'll see what sidi will do for me, possibly glue another sole onto the shoes. the uppers are still in good shape.another weakness is that the sole is not very grippy when walking on rocks, so be careful.

Bottom Line:
i had heard that sidis were a good buy, because of fit and durability. this hasn't turned out to be true in my case. i've seen a product that protects your ankles and allows you to wear low-cut shoes, so that is what i'll likely do for the next pair, pending how my warranty issue turns out.

1 Year

two pairs of specialized which had the cleats pull out, and two pairs of shimano M110s which each lasted about 2 years.

used 747 pedals exclusively.

Submitted by scarylarry a Weekend Warrior from Hyattsville, MD

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
adjustability, they fit right!!!

Weaknesses:
little string worries me...

Bottom Line:
Other than my dominator 2's, I've never had a pair of shoes fit better. My Dom 2's went as a hand-me down after 3 years of hard off-road abuse, still in good shape. I've ridden them in the summer, and the winter(with extra socks) and love them.
If you want a dependable shoe that works fantastic, but don't mind it looking a little bright, this is your shoe...

2 Years

SIDI dominator 2

I use 'em with shimano 636's

Submitted by Jamie Sloat a racer from Hampton, VA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been looking around for quite awhile for a good pair of shoes and decided to go with the Adrenalin by Sidi. I love them !!! Only wish they came in the black and yellow scheme. If you are tossed about which shoes to buy, these are the ones !!!

Submitted by brian dowdy a racer from richmond va

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

AFTER BREAKING TWO PAIRS OF SPECIALIZED SHOES, I DECIDED TO GO ALL OUT FOR SOMETHING
INDESTRUCTIBLE. AFTER A YEAR OF RIDING, THIS SEEMS TO BE THE SHOE I HAVE
BEEN LOOKING FOR. MY ONLY OBJECTIONS ARE THE RONALD MCDONALD COLOR SCHEME AND
THE PRICE.I THINK THAT BLACK AND SILVER WOULD BE A GOOD OPTION.

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought these shoes at the suggestion of my LBS. I didnt want to spend 170 bucks my first pair of shoes, but I wanted something that would last and be comfortable. I tried on a pair of Nike Puba<